Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

Hello all,

Is there somewhere other than City Hall I am able to pick up route brochures/system maps? I will be in Edmonton next month but it'll be on a weekend

The downtown library would be your best bet for brochures. Or you could request the desired brochures by mail through 3-1-1 form on edmonton.ca. Might take a week to get to you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catherine Wilkins said:

HELLO BLAKE M. FROM CALGARY

I have spent an enormous amount of time looking up URL's for your adventure visiting Alberta's Capital City Edmonton.  You are very intelligent ( I read your postings ) and I hope you will save trees and keep the below information electronically.  Also just like Calgary there will be service reductions in Edmonton over the summer which might inconvenience you.  You might want to change your plans to visit Edmonton during the fall.  The South East LRT should be in operation soon ?  This would make your adventure a lot of fun.  If you have an iPad, you can store the PDF's or look up the information using many WIFI sites in Edmonton.

One request Blake M., please reply if you only have something polite to say.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/new-bus-routes.aspx

https://www2.epl.ca/ETS/

https://www.edmonton.ca/ets/transit-centres.aspx

https://etslive.edmonton.ca/

https://transit55.ca/edmonton/

My main concern would be if he used an iPad all day the electricity to charge comes from a coal fired plant, so mabe best to use the paper maps which are already printed anyways ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I hope you will save trees and keep the below information electronically. 

Catherine,

Your concern for the trees is commendable, however many transit enthusiasts cherish having paper copies of Maps / Ride Guides and timetables / route schedules Firstly, such items are considered 'memorabilia', and secondly, they won't disappear into thin air like pages on the internet sometimes do, and thirdly, twenty or thirty years from now they will be valuable to other transit memorabilia collectors. 

I had a small filing cabinet brimming with ETS publications: maps, brochures, calendars, magazines, advertisements (back when the marketing dept consisted of brilliant minds) and much, much more. At the time I thought nothing of it. When I downsized in 2011 I had some close friends over. They brought duffel bags and had an absolute field day with my assorted collection of 'memorabilia'.  A good chunk of it proved to be somewhat historically significant. One close friend even made off with the filing cabinet too ?

I was pleased to be able to contribute to the collections that others had begun, and through the marvel of technology, some of it has been scanned and uploaded to various websites for the world to enjoy (electronically).

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Temporary WEM Transit Centre on 90 Avenue is now online, as the old one closes for Valley Line West construction. 

7165 was the first bus to depart from Temporary WEM, on a 918B- Lessard. Pics of other buses included, along with a general transit centre shot.

20210829_060215.jpg

20210829_054635.jpg

20210829_060255.jpg

20210829_060732.jpg

20210829_061007.jpg

20210829_052823.jpg

20210829_052023.jpg

20210829_053456.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, armorand said:

#38 going EB Heritage Drive, Wednesday morning. Unsure if still in ETS service & down in Calgary for repairs, or otherwise. 

That one has been in Calgary for a few years now and is/was owned by a daycare.

• Board Admin
On 10/9/2021 at 1:40 AM, armorand said:

#38 going EB Heritage Drive, Wednesday morning. Unsure if still in ETS service & down in Calgary for repairs, or otherwise. 

I managed to get a photo of that one by Chinook Centre last time I was in Calgary:

IMG_20210924_221957.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, M. Parsons said:

Red Arrow and EBus shifted their South Edmonton stop to Southgate Transit Centre as of March 22, replacing the Ramada Hotel stop. As well on the 22nd they started stopping at Sorensen Station in Red Deer. 

And since I covered PWT buses serving Southgate and University... a recent shot of an Ebus starting it's trip at Kingsway/ RAH. 

Carrying on with this topic. 

Start up in the Edmonton - Calgary corridor The Canada Bus has also been granted access to Southgate and Kingsway Transit Centre's. Finally with some overcast, went and got a few pics today.

tcb1002-DSC07568-10-22-2021.thumb.jpg.3f51ffea2bce0a5b934d1146fa129a80.jpgtcb1002-DSC07572-10-22-2021.thumb.jpg.dade63aca8b619db4fa139baedd73ee7.jpgtcb1002-DSC07579-10-22-2021.thumb.jpg.5f999d71edf4c43d97ab571f417fcaab.jpgesBS2217-DSC07585-10-22-2021.thumb.jpg.24acc9ce02854489ebf831db7bd8929d.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, vicinity said:

Unrelated question but is ETS running any floaters on the NAIT line or extra buses for the Oilers games ?

ETS discourages the use of the Metro Line for LRT games, and since it no longer runs to Century Park at any time, unless your destination is University or HSS or have limited mobility, there's no real point in using the Metro LRT to get to Oilers games. 

Therefore, no floaters. 

I am not aware of additional bus service, and I don't believe there is any, but I also cannot say for sure.

Edited by M. Parsons
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

ETS discourages the use of the Metro Line for LRT games, and since it no longer runs to Century Park at any time, unless your destination is University or HSS or have limited mobility, there's no real point in using the Metro LRT to get to Oilers games. 

Therefore, no floaters. 

I am not aware of additional bus service, and I don't believe there is any, but I also cannot say for sure.

*Builds a nice new train station next to a nice new arena* *doesn't run service to station*

1 hour ago, M. Parsons said:

Therefore, no floaters. 

In Calgary they run 3-4 floater trains on top of revenue service before and after the game 

4 hours ago, vicinity said:

In Calgary they run 3-4 floater trains on top of revenue service before and after the game 

They have extras on the Capital Line, but, the Metro Line just doesn't go anywhere that would d. There's also no where to stage trains on the Metro Line, and, with frequency bumped up to 12 minutes, there's less ability to do something whacky like route regular trains around a floater, and further, the Metro Line is constrained to 3 car trains, again, unless you do something whacky like route regular trains around a 4 or 5 car floater that is limited to Kingsway or south.

5 hours ago, 2102 said:

*Builds a nice new train station next to a nice new arena* *doesn't run service to station*

Wrongo. Station came first. Arena was coincidental (or not, depending how deep into conspiracies' you want to go). 

• 5 months later...