Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

• Board Admin
16 hours ago, armorand said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/clareview-lrt-a-hub-for-transit-users-1.5474401

Seems quite a few people have reservations, about the uncompleted LRT extension to Gorman... but nice video, to watch. 

I heard the funding for the Gorman extension was diverted to the NAIT line's construction.

At 0:47 and 1:25 in the video, that's actually Belvedere Station. :P

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 1046bluebus said:

Edmonton Transit has moved to Saturday service as of tomorrow. Regional service running weekday schedules. 

Not impressed.  This move will not help facilitate social distancing.  The buses are going to be more crowded now. Yes, ridership is down at the moment, but people are still going to be out and about near month end as it comes time to cash paychecks, pay bills and buy bus passes. Not everyone does this sort of thing online.

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Not impressed.  This move will not help facilitate social distancing.  The buses are going to be more crowded now. Yes, ridership is down at the moment, but people are still going to be out and about near month end as it comes time to cash paychecks, pay bills and buy bus passes. Not everyone does this sort of thing online.

Agreed. Like I mentioned in the Calgary threads, cutting and slashing service is just going to make things worse. Especially for me, trying to find Aprils rent, with cut hours at work and ZERO signs of Trudeau doing anything for his own people in terms of financial compensation... Aprils going to get very ugly, and the last thing ETS/CT/WT and others should be doing, is wholly slashing services. Especially for those who don't have Hummers or Maseratis, to get groceries with. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1046bluebus said:

Agree. City of Edmonton is still paying Operators what they signed. As many as 100 operators sitting at the garages on "standby." I have to admit this wasn't thought through very well. 

Are there any crunchload routes that need extra capacity? It might not be much, but maybe it would mitigate the losses & cough up an extra 40 footer or so, on routes that need it? 

Ridership was announced as down by 22% yet they have cut service far more than that. The current plan for drivers was 3 days driving, 2 days spare board. What needs to happen this afternoon is get all of those new found spare board drivers on to the street covering overcrowded routes. 

• Like 1

Simple solution would be to go back to weekday service tomorrow instead of making "adjustments" and rebuild to a schedule that will make sense, especially for those people who need to get to and from work. This so far has been terrible PR for ETS. Mayor and Council might force them to go back to regular service. 

To everyone’s point:

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/transit-woes/wcm/cb77fb3a-fc7d-46ac-b83c-a327a4508fd3/

But the scheduling reduction has led to overcrowding on buses, riders said, as several took to social media Tuesday morning to share photos of crowding.

“So much for social distancing,” one Twitter user posted with a photo of a packed bus. “I don’t feel safe.”

[…]

“I’m hearing your concerns on #yegtransit service adjustments loud and clear this morning and pushing @cityofedmontonofficials hard for service changes,” he (Iveson) wrote. “We’ll fix this.”

The city is planning an update later today.

27 minutes ago, 1046bluebus said:

Listened to the press conference this afternoon. Additional service is going to be added to address capacity issues. Rush hour only routes will be added back in limited frequency. 

Limited frequency? The routes that are being added are getting full peak service. 

2 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Limited frequency? The routes that are being added are getting full peak service. 

I think they just mean that service will be added in limited "cases" independent of frequency. Back to the original point... they already have plans in place for modified Saturday service that they typically use, for example, between Christmas and New Year, so who knows why they couldn't just do that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I think any 40 footer with a number higher than 4300 is getting shields and contactless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

On the plus side, it's nice to see driver shields and security cameras put on the old Flyers (D40LF).

5 hours ago, brookiedbj said:

I think any 40 footer with a number higher than 4300 is getting shields and contactless.

Good assumption, as there are indeed several 4300's running around with driver shields. It will be interesting to see what happens with the A/C retrofits, specifically whether or not they do all of them and the amount of time it will take.

As far as cameras go, everything appears to be done with the exception of the 98's and 99's... 4105, 4120, 4128, 4129, 4132, 4144, 4145, 4150, 4158, 4159 should all still be without cameras. 4166 and 4174 have cameras in addition to some of the very recently-retired 416x and 417x Ferrier units.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1046bluebus said:

I could be wrong but I think 4105 has a camera. 

You're wrong. 

DSC06818.jpg

Artics have been in use as unscheduled extras today. Only saw 4960 on a midday 15, but did see two sitting on standby outside of Andrews which were gone on my next trip by. Not sure if they would get adventerous and assign them in time to regular pieces once they get a signup built for the modified service.

First Ferrier Vicinity I've spotted with a bike rack is 2036.

4 hours ago, T6H-5307N said:

Good assumption, as there are indeed several 4300's running around with driver shields. It will be interesting to see what happens with the A/C retrofits, specifically whether or not they do all of them and the amount of time it will take.

Theoretically the money is there and then some.....

"in the 2019-2022 Capital Budget the number given for AC retrofits is 635. Working backwards... 30 D60LFR's plus 9 XD's, 2 disemboweled hybrids, all diesel LFR's, and all LF's 2001-2006 is 637 units (maybe they still have 6003/04 listed as A/C!)."

With 92 XD's, plus 40 E2's, that should be enough to kill off the remaining 1998 and 1999's and all 2000's and make a large dent in the 2001's. Not sure if we'll see any 2001's that survived (or even a straggler 2000 or two) retrofitted or not. That could mean they retrofit anything that isn't purged in 2020.

Of course, this is simply based on available data. Let's say it costs a bit more than planned to install, maybe then they skip, say the 4300's. 

• Like 1