Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

The original XD's took quite some time to hit the road. These ones will actually have air conditioning too. No need to send Jamie climbing trees to prove that they don't like last time!

I'm not sure about ETS but CMBC does a 5000 km vigorous testing of each bus before they are placed in service to check for any defects.

46 minutes ago, Phillip said:

I'm not sure about ETS but CMBC does a 5000 km vigorous testing of each bus before they are placed in service to check for any defects.

Does CMBC state they have to be delivered under their own power?  I've seen that in some of the fire department tenders I've read.  Makes sense to make them do the break in on delivery instead of having to delay them going into service due to break in.

40 minutes ago, Theodore Leung said:

Does anyone know which ETS buses have (or used to have) A/C except those Vicinity's? 

#2015@317 Winterburn (1).JPG

I was told the Xcelsiors 4880-4888 had A/C but it was ripped out. The 6003-6004 diesels (ex-Hybrids) had A/C but was replaced with roof heaters. Somebody can confirm whether 6001-6002 or 6005-6006 still have A/C or not. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes 6005/06 they had A/C when I drove it a few years but I never figured out how to use it :( 

Well it only makes sense to fit 4880-88 with A/C now that all the XD40's are getting it now.  I don't know if they did came with A/C but I doubt they did. 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, Matt Dunlop said:

I was told the Xcelsiors 4880-4888 had A/C but it was ripped out.

On 3/11/2018 at 5:36 PM, M. Parsons said:

Christ, what will it take to stop these bullshit rumors?

Apparently many years of convincing... I thought we were done with this conversation 5+ years ago!

Two reasons this came up way back when:

1) The 2011 D60LFRs' aux heater knobs are labeled auto-off as opposed to heat-off. Prior to this, "auto" was allegedly only ever found on buses with A/C.

2) These buses were delivered right around the time that 6003 and 6004 returned to service with A/C removed.

Someone somewhere at some point in time, with no evidence to prove anything, connected the dots where they shouldn't have and incorrectly assumed that this meant the artics had A/C ripped out (the two facts were blended and confused). This had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the XD40's two years later, and yet somehow it came up again at that time; it was once again a case of someone making connections and assumptions where they shouldn't have. At the time I remember having to climb a tree and sand dune (yes, I went that far) to get an aerial perspective on a freshly-delivered XD to verify that it was non-A/C and there is no evidence to suggest anything was ever modified.

Nonetheless Matt, I am really curious where the "I was told" originated from... if this is a verifiable source to prove otherwise, please cite. Otherwise I strongly suggest that we abandon this topic as hearsay and move on.

• Thanks 5

The AC on the shuttle fleet will likely not have been removed (unless a compressor blew up and caused a belt to cook).  It likely just ran out of refrigerant and was not recharged, therefore rendering the AC inoperable, not ripped out.

14 minutes ago, awstott said:

The AC on the shuttle fleet will likely not have been removed (unless a compressor blew up and caused a belt to cook).  It likely just ran out of refrigerant and was not recharged, therefore rendering the AC inoperable, not ripped out.

28, 31, 32, 33 with passenger a/c.  However there was a rumour of driver a/c on some community units...

And let us not forget ets types stating that the artics had a/c removed, despite delivery pix

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

28, 31, 32, 33 with passenger a/c.  However there was a rumour of driver a/c on some community units...

They probably all had driver A/C on delivery, but that is because the various GMC/Chevy and International chassis (the front-end including the driver's compartment) come standard with A/C rather than it being a specified option. As awstott said, the most likely scenario is that they had it but it was never maintained and therefore may or may not work at this point in history. Problem is now I am speculating too so maybe I should just take my own advice and stop :lol:

• Thanks 1

Quite often cutaways have two stand alone a/c systems with separate compressors. One smaller factory one for the dash, another larger capacity one added for the aftermarket body unit. 

It is conceivable, although unlikely that one would be disabled and the other operational.

Until this Vicinity and XD order, ETS has never speced A/C. 28, 31, 32, and 33 were purchased as stop gap measures after Glaval purchases were halted but ELF's needed replacing. The City went looking for demos or other buses that were available, and these 4 were the result.

While 28 has maintained it appearance, at various times the IC LC's haven't. I recall one running around with hoses hanging from the A/C housing. At last check 31 had a new (white) housing on the roof, but the actual A/C equipment was missing. 

I would be surprised if any of these 4 (3 actually as 32 is probably done) have functioning A/C.

• Like 1