Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

6 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Besides Captain Transit, wasn't it you saying that ETS was getting Nova Buses? If these were ETS's own purchase that would have disproved that Nova rumour and brought down your credibility, no?

Novas could be artic or 40 footers, I'm just going by what I was told by someone I know who's in fleet services. So if those are Beaumont buses why do they say ets on them? Shouldn't it say Beaumont on them?

I think Martin's previous post addresses your question; I suggest reading it again ;) 

I am going to go with his response as I have a couple of concerns with your speculation. Namely, why on earth would ETS start numbering at 6906 for their units (this leaves no room for Spruce Grove expansion, and seems random at best) and why would New Flyer be delivering them in reverse order?

Then there is the issue that we still don't even know who the ETS tender was awarded to, never mind having a set production date... in other words, definitely not regluar ETS units.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, vicinity said:

Does anyone know if ETS has reduced/ made cuts to service since the economy tanked? And would anyone know how much ridership has fallen?

First link when I googled "ETS ridership decrease": http://globalnews.ca/news/2985323/after-years-of-increased-ridership-fewer-people-taking-public-transit-in-edmonton/

No service cuts outside of the usual trips here and there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I have a quick question for you guys. Now I did use the search function and I didnt find anything relevant to what im about to ask, so just bear with me lol. I also wasnt sure what thread to post this in lol.

For Edmonton's suburban routes(if you will) to the surrounding towns(540,560,561, 580 etc, maybe even the 747 im not sure), I seen that the buses used for those runs are "highway buses" with the extra gear(and whatever else I may be missing). Has any consideration been given at all to buy any suburban buses for these runs? Possibly with coach styled seats, better suspension, maybe reading lights etc, similar in fashion to a highway coach(if these 2009s dont have them already). Any personal thoughts at all?  I know other systems use these styled buses in similar situations going from city to city along highways, so I thought I'd ask and see what the thoughts are as well.  Thanks!

No extra gearing in any ETS buses that I'm aware of. To the best of my knowledge, a few years back ETS went and enabled the 6th gear in all of the buses with Allison trannies. Not sure of the exact technical "stuff" behind that. Not sure of the status of the Voith trannies. 

"Highway equipped" basically refers to legal requirements for operating on provincial highways- emergency kit, no bike racks, extra lines marking the aisles. 

I am not aware of any consideration for anything akin to a "suburban" configuration. Beaumont is a 22 minute run, the 747 is about the same, and Fort Saskatchewan is 30 minutes. Frankly, a lot of riders are spending less time on these routes than regular ETS routes. 

The Spruce Grove routes are a bit longer and perhaps, in my opinion, could justify a suburban-type interior for that reason. 

At the end of the day however, all of these are contracted operations with the exception of the 747. ETS simply provides what they are asked too, so, it would be up to each municipality to determine if they want a different interior configuration. Spruce Grove and Beaumont both purchased their buses without any thing really special in terms of seating.

The Spruce Grove service has been quite successful. Coach seats could either reduce leg room, or reduce passenger capacity. Decreased comfort due to leg room might be a bad idea... and certainly, reduce seating capacity would be bad.

What would have at least made a bit more sense would be to have gone with single width rear doors or no rear doors, but, only Leduc recently has gone that route (no rear door).

Reading lights.... are they needed in this day in age with the proliferation of mobile devices?

Thanks for the reply Martin! I had imagined that these routes took a lot longer than they really do.  When i said suburbans i did have the one door version in mind like leduc and strathcona have.  I did try to do some research on it before hand(i knew the bike rule on the highway) so thank you!