Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

Kelly is awesome. John always used the PA. As a passenger I would rather just watch and listen for the automated cues.

Van does get more tourists and visitors, so I would expect they would be asking more frequently. Also, I find some types of people more prone to asking, like those who are unsure or insecure. Some people have poor short term memories and have to ask each time they make the trip.

I think the percentage of people that ask questions is about the same, just higher ridership in Van.

On 9/14/2016 at 10:53 AM, awstott said:

It's dumped between the tents at Ferrier.  Has been for a number of weeks.

6001 sure seems to be getting a workout.  It's been out to the end of service a couple of nights.  Even out on a Sunday too.

sad to hear that... hopefully it will be out later

#6001@53 South Campus (1).JPG #6001 on route 53

#6004@333 Rosenthal (1).JPG first shot on rt. 333 after its community buses were replaced by regular 40 ft. buses

14 hours ago, Theodore Leung said:

sad to hear that... hopefully it will be out later

#6001@53 South Campus (1).JPG #6001 on route 53

#6004@333 Rosenthal (1).JPG first shot on rt. 333 after its community buses were replaced by regular 40 ft. buses

Been in the between the tents since I drove it back in May for a charter. Wasn't on the road since early may. I drove it late May. Maybe its back go only charter use. 

3 hours ago, CaptainTransit_4488 said:

Been in the between the tents since I drove it back in May for a charter. Wasn't on the road since early may. I drove it late May. Maybe its back go only charter use. 

BUS KILLER!  I'm thinking it's got mechanical issues, not just relegated to charter service.  Leaving it outside would mean a thorough cleaning before going out again.  That and the fact that it's buried in behind a bunch of other dead buses which would need to be moved before it was able to go out on charter.

On 16/09/2016 at 5:33 PM, awstott said:

BUS KILLER!  I'm thinking it's got mechanical issues, not just relegated to charter service.  Leaving it outside would mean a thorough cleaning before going out again.  That and the fact that it's buried in behind a bunch of other dead buses which would need to be moved before it was able to go out on charter.

Maybe not mechanical issues... She was parked Thursday, made it into service Friday afternoon. I guess if it was mechanical, they got it out of from the tents, put in whatever part they've seemingly been waiting for the last 3 months, and into service in less than 1 workday. I'm curious if it just got parked for the summer and they finally just got around to putting it back into service. There were still 5 other buses beside the tents.

The ETS lettering is a lot worse than it was before May. 

DSC06396.jpg

DSC06400.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
14 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Edmonton Transit System has been renamed as Edmonton Transit Service. I first saw some references to ETS using "Service" instead of "System" back in November in some Council documents, but now their website reflects the change.

Interesting. Any ideas/musings/hints as to why the change?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the three units for Beaumont service? The numbering makes sense (regional, leaving space for Spruce Grove), and they might have ended up in the ETS livery purely because Beaumont, unlike Spruce Grove, never really specified a new livery...

20 hours ago, T6H-5307N said:

One of the three units for Beaumont service? The numbering makes sense (regional, leaving space for Spruce Grove), and they might have ended up in the ETS livery purely because Beaumont, unlike Spruce Grove, never really specified a new livery...

No because Beaumont wouldn't have ets on it. It's one of our new units. 

20 hours ago, T6H-5307N said:

Were running out of 4000's so I guess they're using 6906-6951 for this order I believe we're supposed to get 45 new units this year. 

1 hour ago, CaptainTransit_4488 said:

No because Beaumont wouldn't have ets on it. It's one of our new units. 

No, they are Beaumont units. They were scheduled to enter the production line on January 30, 2017. ETS's bus tender closed January 23. Sounds like they are an add on to the Spruce Grove order. There are clauses in a lot of tenders that allow similar organizations within a geographical area to purchase additional units (what ever the item may be that is being purchased) for the same basic pricing. This was used by the BVRTSC to purchase Vicinity's on Airdrie's tender.

Obviously, ETS has offered different "packages" if you will for the services they provide. Fort Sask and Spruce Grove had nothing special and so they could be any buses from a given pool of highway equipped buses. Leduc had theirs decaled as C Line and were WiFi equipped as I recall. Why they aren't painted specifically as Beaumont I'm not 100% sure, but, it could well be because they will be in a pool of available buses for the service. Could be that ETS offers a lower cost to keep the buses as part of their larger fleet so they can draw from a pool of highway equipped buses, rather than having to keep 3 specific buses ready to go. Hell, if you look at the dispatching so far of the Spruce Grove fleet, it's not often there's more than 4 on the road.

This afternoon there were 4/6. This morning 3/6 . Having one spare bus is a 16.6% spare ratio and industry standard is closer to 20% for fleets of 50 buses or more. Less than 50 buses I guess isn't as easy to nail down. As a result, it's actually likely standard to see only 4 Spruce Grove buses on the road although they have 6 total as the remainder of the fleet is provided by ETS. But I digress.

I suspect that the contract between ETS and Beaumont yields the answer. But, until someone gets their hands on that, or asks questions of the right person, we're a little bit in the dark.

Besides, who's to say they won't receive wraps (like the 747 did) or small graphics (C Line)?

1 hour ago, CaptainTransit_4488 said:

Were running out of 4000's so I guess they're using 6906-6951 for this order I believe we're supposed to get 45 new units this year. 

I take it when 6952 shows up that will kill that theory? :P