Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

15 minutes ago, Innuendo said:

Missed opportunity! ? There were some yard staff walking around the flexity, so it so I'm guessing it just got there and 2066 left recently? I don't know how shipping by rail works, but 2066 should be somewhere along the yellowhead or at it's destination in that case.

I might have to just drive down there and check it out. 

4 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

And a selection of pics of 2066.

Thanks for the photos!  Pretty strange to see those trains side-by-side. 

Will it move under its own power from here to the maintenance facility, or is it towed?  I know wheel profiles are different (which is the same driving or being towed), but I believe it was still running when it left here. 

38 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

Thanks for the photos!  Pretty strange to see those trains side-by-side. 

Will it move under its own power from here to the maintenance facility, or is it towed?  I know wheel profiles are different (which is the same driving or being towed), but I believe it was still running when it left here. 

Strange sight to see indeed.

It would be so cool to see that thing run under its own power unfortunately it will be towed.

It'll probably be powered up one last time when it gets to DL to test its components and then it'll be cut up and stripped for it's vital organs.

IMG_20180718_171551_560.jpg

1 hour ago, LRT said:

Strange sight to see indeed.

It would be so cool to see that thing run under its own power unfortunately it will be towed.

It'll probably be powered up one last time when it gets to DL to test its components and then it'll be cut up and stripped for it's vital organs.

IMG_20180718_171551_560.jpg

I’ll come up to drive it if they need it, although I suspect you may have that covered already! ?

16 minutes ago, CTrainDude said:

I’ll come up to drive it if they need it, although I suspect you may have that covered already! ?

Haha! I'm here already.... as far as driving it I think the batteries are dead on this thing?

Well it's gone.  It was on Etrack and then we went off to hunt down 1001 which was also gone.  Came back to E track and 2066 was MIA too.  they might have put her right into the shops at DLM as we couldn't find it outside at all.  Only other place it could be is at the far end of the tail track but that would have required quite the switching operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a crappy photo of #7074, one of the newest if not the newest XD40 delivered so far, at Paterson taken yesterday.

42906758285_3af0fd7583_m.jpgIMG_4860 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

And #7072, also at Paterson.

42906764475_77c35932e1_m.jpgIMG_4855 by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

Also took a ride on one of these on the 100 yesterday. Love the air conditioning. Seats aren't the most comfortable but I'll take the hard plastic over cloth on a hot day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Just watched a Youtube video of one of the new XD40s (7040 specifically), they appear to have the swing-out rear doors common in NYC. 

Someone elses 7040?  I can assure you that after riding 7040 on Thursday it most certainly had slide glide rear doors, like all ETS 40 and 60' buses since 1993, save for a pair of Orion's...

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Someone elses 7040?  I can assure you that after riding 7040 on Thursday it most certainly had slide glide rear doors, like all ETS 40 and 60' buses since 1993, save for a pair of Orion's...

Looking at the video again, you're right. I had to look closely at the sides of the door and they did fold inwards. Just didn't look close enough! 

Also maybe when Edmonton expands the LRT we could consider some cars (also by Bombardier) similar to what are run in Frankfurt on the U-Bahn (the system Edmonton and Calgary are derivative of), they are similar to two of the current LRT cars paired into one unit: 

20120228_U5-50_Kalbach.jpg

• Confused 1

On 8/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, reecemartin said:

Also maybe when Edmonton expands the LRT we could consider some cars (also by Bombardier) similar to what are run in Frankfurt on the U-Bahn (the system Edmonton and Calgary are derivative of), they are similar to two of the current LRT cars paired into one unit: 

20120228_U5-50_Kalbach.jpg

Would need entirely new hoisting and maintenance facilities for that would you not?

8 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Would need entirely new hoisting and maintenance facilities for that would you not?

That's right. But I believe this unit can still be split into two separate cars if I'm not mistaken. Essentially it only has two cabs instead of four and you can walk from end to end.

The series 9s in Calgary were suggested to be that way. One problem would be an entire consist would be down if there was a problem with the car and logistically could have been a nightmare in the shops and yards.

They're some what impractical when you consider ETS runs a mixture of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 car trains. Suddenly marshalling trains becomes a bit more challenging, including such things as bumping trains up and down throughout the day if needed.

FWIW, it looks like the Flexcity LRV's for the Valley Line were sized so that 2 cars will make up the maximum train length possible on account of Downtown block sizes, in particular 99 St - 100 St on 102 Ave which looks to be right around 90m with a 2 car train being 82+m long. 
While perhaps they could have gotten by with shorter 5 segment units, and perhaps then used 3 car trains, by going with longer cars they are losing the extra sets of control equipment and what not and the associated cost savings vs. shorter, but more cars.