ttcbusdude

TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments

On 5/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, Ed T. said:

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

Saw a couple of 7900's this weekend with the olds bulbs and there are quite a few at OG hybrids with them as well. At first we were replacing them on a fix as fail basis but now they are being called on MTO and other inspections so the remaining ones should be replaced soon. Regarding the glare, I had one where the operator complained of approaching vehicles flashing him as if they were being blinded by the headlights. Turns out someone installed the new lamps upside down. Ive also seen a couple where all four bulbs were replaced with the LED's by mistake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, BusFanForever said:

Regarding the glare, I had one where the operator complained of approaching vehicles flashing him as if they were being blinded by the headlights. Turns out someone installed the new lamps upside down. Ive also seen a couple where all four bulbs were replaced with the LED's by mistake.

I would think it's elementary mechanics to install a headlight ride side up. Maybe the producer needs to ship them with a big arrow THIS WAY UP ⬆️🔼

50 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I would think it's elementary mechanics to install a headlight ride side up. Maybe the producer needs to ship them with a big arrow THIS WAY UP ⬆️🔼

I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to stand up for them.

More than a handful are hacks masquerading as mechanics. Unfortunately all I can do is correct their butchery as I find it.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to stand up for them.

More than a handful are hacks masquerading as mechanics. Unfortunately all I can do is correct their butchery as I find it.

I can understand having poor morale, being pissed off with conditions or your job.

I don't have sympathy for those who shoddy work, potentially causing public safety problems, to show their attitude.

I've done my share of dumb things while working on my cars, but I'm not exactly a licenced technician being paid for my efforts. (I did spend a lot of time troubleshooting the self-levelling HID system on my car so that it worked properly.)

31 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

1422 has If You’re Sick, Stay Home; Face Masks Required decal at both the front and rear doors.

Some of Eglinton's vehicles have it as well.

2 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

1422 has If You’re Sick, Stay Home; Face Masks Required decal at both the front and rear doors.

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

Some of Eglinton's vehicles have it as well.

I passed by more buses (Eglinton & Birchmount buses) and noticed the majority of them have the decals.  I'm oddly surprised at how fast these decals made it onto busses before July 2.

4 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

Any photo's? Would love to see as I haven't been on or near the TTC since March

• Like 1