ttcbusdude

TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments

Plastic curtains excluding the two seats immediately behind the driver on nova buses are being deployed en masse.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Plastic curtains excluding the two seats immediately behind the driver on nova buses are being deployed en masse.

yes about 200 buses per day.  Eglinton will get their starting next Tuesday.  

19 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I noticed on Thursday a number of Birchmount Novas had the seats directly behind the driver blocked with caution tape. A few Eglinton ones did as well, but not as many as Birchmount based on my observations.

22 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Oddly*, that seat seems to be a favourite with riders. Even if most of the seats are empty, there's usually someone in one of those seats. Goes for both 40' and artics in my experience.

*Well, I don't want to sit with a grey plastic wall 40 cm from my face.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Oddly*, that seat seems to be a favourite with riders. Even if most of the seats are empty, there's usually someone in one of those seats. Goes for both 40' and artics in my experience.

*Well, I don't want to sit with a grey plastic wall 40 cm from my face.

Not anymore.

I was never a fan of the two seats behind the operator. Very cramped and god help your face even if in a mild collision or hard brake application.

Another poor interior space design choice on newer buses. The shorter wheelbase is a detriment here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wil9402 said:

I noticed on Thursday a number of Birchmount Novas had the seats directly behind the driver blocked with caution tape. A few Eglinton ones did as well, but not as many as Birchmount based on my observations.

the drivers didn't get the caution tape until Friday morning.  

On 3/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Bus I drove yesterday had one installed. 

IMG-20200329-WA0057.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

How are wheelchairs supposed to board?

You're just like a lot of our passengers who don't read. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

You're just like a lot of our passengers who don't read. 🤦‍♂️

I don’t see it anywhere on this thread, I know in Durham they caution taped off the entire front of the bus from the end of the priority seating area so wheelchairs could board that the front and everyone else in the back.  I know TTC has a similar procedure,  it with a big plastic wall, can it be opened for those who need it? Can you link to the thing I’m supposed to be reading.

On 3/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, Bus_Medic said:

👆 Doesn't say anything about blocking the isle or the front door. I even quoted that post when I posted that image. 

I was gonna reply and set him straight, but I’m feeling lazy, and decided I’d just leave him to look stupid instead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, 110B West Pickering said:

How are wheelchairs supposed to board?

they enter at the front as usual.  same applies to those who can't enter the bus unless it is kneeled.

4 hours ago, JustinHA said:

#1106 has a different front security camera (Novabus LFS type) of security camera

I've installed quite a few of those on Orion buses. For a while we could not get new replacements for two of the old style cameras so we had to install the newer style mini dome cameras. Recently though we have a new supply of the old cameras in stock but who knows for how long. 

2 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

I've installed quite a few of those on Orion buses. For a while we could not get new replacements for two of the old style cameras so we had to install the newer style mini dome cameras. Recently though we have a new supply of the old cameras in stock but who knows for how long. 

Actually you install these components?

4 hours ago, JustinHA said:

Actually you install these components?

Don’t listen to him.

They install themselves.

• Haha 5

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

Probably not aimed. Alignment is supposed to be checked during the MTO, if you get blinded by one next time, try to get the number (if your eyes recover in time) and forward the complaint to customer service. They’re pretty good at seeing that sort of thing through once they’re involved.

9 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I believe 7954,7941 and 7915 should still have the older headlights. Not too sure if they still have it though, last time i saw both was in mid march.