Jump to content

TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Plastic curtains excluding the two seats immediately behind the driver on nova buses are being deployed en masse.

Oddly*, that seat seems to be a favourite with riders. Even if most of the seats are empty, there's usually someone in one of those seats. Goes for both 40' and artics in my experience.

*Well, I don't want to sit with a grey plastic wall 40 cm from my face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Oddly*, that seat seems to be a favourite with riders. Even if most of the seats are empty, there's usually someone in one of those seats. Goes for both 40' and artics in my experience.

*Well, I don't want to sit with a grey plastic wall 40 cm from my face.

Not anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was never a fan of the two seats behind the operator. Very cramped and god help your face even if in a mild collision or hard brake application.

Another poor interior space design choice on newer buses. The shorter wheelbase is a detriment here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wil9402 said:

I noticed on Thursday a number of Birchmount Novas had the seats directly behind the driver blocked with caution tape. A few Eglinton ones did as well, but not as many as Birchmount based on my observations.

the drivers didn't get the caution tape until Friday morning.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

You're just like a lot of our passengers who don't read. 🤦‍♂️

I don’t see it anywhere on this thread, I know in Durham they caution taped off the entire front of the bus from the end of the priority seating area so wheelchairs could board that the front and everyone else in the back.  I know TTC has a similar procedure,  it with a big plastic wall, can it be opened for those who need it? Can you link to the thing I’m supposed to be reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JustinHA said:

#1106 has a different front security camera (Novabus LFS type) of security camera

I've installed quite a few of those on Orion buses. For a while we could not get new replacements for two of the old style cameras so we had to install the newer style mini dome cameras. Recently though we have a new supply of the old cameras in stock but who knows for how long. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

I've installed quite a few of those on Orion buses. For a while we could not get new replacements for two of the old style cameras so we had to install the newer style mini dome cameras. Recently though we have a new supply of the old cameras in stock but who knows for how long. 

Actually you install these components?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

Probably not aimed. Alignment is supposed to be checked during the MTO, if you get blinded by one next time, try to get the number (if your eyes recover in time) and forward the complaint to customer service. They’re pretty good at seeing that sort of thing through once they’re involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

I believe 7954,7941 and 7915 should still have the older headlights. Not too sure if they still have it though, last time i saw both was in mid march.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2020 at 12:28 PM, Ed T. said:

Are there any OG Orion VIIs left with halogen headlights? Just about every 7900/8000 I've seen have LED headlamps.

I took a close look at one, and they are genuine DOT approved, not some knockoffs. However they either have a poor cut-off, or they are installed quite misaligned, to judge by the number of buses that have glaring headlights at night.

I assume that there's no way to mis-wire these so that they are on high beam when the beam selector says low beam....

Saw a couple of 7900's this weekend with the olds bulbs and there are quite a few at OG hybrids with them as well. At first we were replacing them on a fix as fail basis but now they are being called on MTO and other inspections so the remaining ones should be replaced soon. Regarding the glare, I had one where the operator complained of approaching vehicles flashing him as if they were being blinded by the headlights. Turns out someone installed the new lamps upside down. Ive also seen a couple where all four bulbs were replaced with the LED's by mistake.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2020 at 11:19 PM, BusFanForever said:

Regarding the glare, I had one where the operator complained of approaching vehicles flashing him as if they were being blinded by the headlights. Turns out someone installed the new lamps upside down. Ive also seen a couple where all four bulbs were replaced with the LED's by mistake.

I would think it's elementary mechanics to install a headlight ride side up. Maybe the producer needs to ship them with a big arrow THIS WAY UP ⬆️🔼

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I would think it's elementary mechanics to install a headlight ride side up. Maybe the producer needs to ship them with a big arrow THIS WAY UP ⬆️🔼

I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to stand up for them.

More than a handful are hacks masquerading as mechanics. Unfortunately all I can do is correct their butchery as I find it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I guess this is the part where I’m supposed to stand up for them.

More than a handful are hacks masquerading as mechanics. Unfortunately all I can do is correct their butchery as I find it.

I can understand having poor morale, being pissed off with conditions or your job.

I don't have sympathy for those who shoddy work, potentially causing public safety problems, to show their attitude.

I've done my share of dumb things while working on my cars, but I'm not exactly a licenced technician being paid for my efforts. (I did spend a lot of time troubleshooting the self-levelling HID system on my car so that it worked properly.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...