TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments

1 minute ago, 8930 said:

I rode 1277 today on the 129 and it has a short destination sign.

IMG_20180118_152024~2.jpg

Yes, I've rode 1277 like 7 times, but I have always forgot to mention this. I can confirm it too, it does have the smaller LED display sign than the average NG.

2 hours ago, 8930 said:

Must have been short on stock of the long ones, and no one’s bothered to replace it.

I got the internal part number wrong and accidentally ordered a short one for 9080 last week. Much to my surprise, we still had a few. Lotsa dust on the box.

Besides the streetcars, the GMs were the only ones to use them, and we purged them (at my location) in 2009.

6 hours ago, 8930 said:

1277 has always had that automated announcement screen. I have a photo of it from January 3rd, 2009 with that small screen installed.

Must have been short on stock of the long ones, and no one’s bothered to replace it.

I got the internal part number wrong and accidentally ordered a short one for 9080 last week. Much to my surprise, we still had a few. Lotsa dust on the box.

Besides the streetcars, the GMs were the only ones to use them, and we purged them (at my location) in 2009.

The Classics and D40s also got them before they retired.

21 hours ago, wil9402 said:

1277 has always had that automated announcement screen. I have a photo of it from January 3rd, 2009 with that small screen installed.

The Classics and D40s also got them before they retired.

So did the RTSes and even the kneeling-only Orion Vs. The lift-equipped Orion Vs were the oldest vehicles to get the wide signs.

And personally, I hate the narrow signs, especially since the text on it does not scroll like on INIT. I hope VISION changes this.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, 0=0 said:

Check out the numbers of 8875 above the driver on the closed side.   They are much bigger .  Dont know if the stickers are new or they came like that  from Nova. 

I saw that unit today on the 116. The fleet number wasn't written on the driver's side when it was delivered so most likely the numbers were done at Eglinton.

These are ones shipped from Europe about 6 weeks ago as Goodyear’s attempt to address poor sidewall durability in the Metro Milers.

experimental ones are “Urban MCS”

Malvern has been running a trial fleet since early January. Evaluation by TSS is ongoing.

Here's something I've been wondering, about the Nova cameras... There's one camera just in front of the windshield, that appears to face straight back thru the middle isle of the bus, and there's a small plate that's mounted next to it.

Is there a reason for it other than to possibly block the operator from being recorded, if the camera view angle is wide enough?

If so, why? I mean no offense, to any operator btw. Did the union specifically request this, as a request from the operators?

I mean, most people in large companies are constantly recorded by security cameras, so I don't really see the issue.

It could help in operator assault investigations, but also assist the TTC in making sure their drivers aren't distracted or doing other silly stuff, which I have seen several over many years...

Thanks for any insight.

nova_divider.jpg

6 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Here's something I've been wondering, about the Nova cameras... There's one camera just in front of the windshield, that appears to face straight back thru the middle isle of the bus, and there's a small plate that's mounted next to it.

Is there a reason for it other than to possibly block the operator from being recorded, if the camera view angle is wide enough?

If so, why? I mean no offense, to any operator btw. Did the union specifically request this, as a request from the operators?

I mean, most people in large companies are constantly recorded by security cameras, so I don't really see the issue.

It could help in operator assault investigations, but also assist the TTC in making sure their drivers aren't distracted or doing other silly stuff, which I have seen several over many years...

Thanks for any insight.

nova_divider.jpg

you already answered your own question in your own comment.  

• 3 weeks later...

For an update on T1s with LED interior lighting, 5323 now has LED interior lighting so now the full set 5322/3 has them as does 5177 now so the full set 5176/7 has them. Also 5028/9, 5030/1, 5044/5, 5272/3, and 5362/3 all have LED interior lighting now. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2018 at 6:08 PM, MK78 said:

To your first question which you already answered yes that piece is there to block the driver from being videotaped.   Now as to the TTC making sure drivers are being good boys , that video can only be pulled if the police need it for an investigation or it can be pulled by the TTC if there is an accident (lets say an onboard fall ) .   At the end of an uneventful day the TTC cant just go into buses and pull tapes to see if the driver has been naughty. 

Do you think Queensway buses will never get that new liveries like other divisions? (Other than few 86xx’s) I think it is really rare to see any buses in that new design especially in the west side of the city. I could see many buses in new liveries at many parts of the city but the West end. 

4 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Do you think Queensway buses will never get that new liveries like other divisions? (Other than few 86xx’s) I think it is really rare to see any buses in that new design especially in the west side of the city. I could see many buses in new liveries at many parts of the city but the West end. 

when they rebuilt Nova, they will have new livery.