TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the unit was 8537 without the refective duct tapes.

Just now, Bus_Medic said:

All remaining orions in the fleet are to be retrofitted with front door sensitive edges, and associated brake interlocks. Campaign should be completed by December.

I wished they could of added front door interlock instead, it has saved lives.

11 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

7933 and 8089 have LED headlights

I don't know if it's the quality of the LED headlights or their aim--the lights I've seen are pretty glaring. I had an LED equipped 8000 behind me on the 427, and even half a km back it was by far the brightest set of lights--which it should not have been.

This does prompt a technical question: are the LED headlights high/low beam like their halogen counterparts, or low beam only? To delve into this more, on quad-lamp systems such as used by the VIIs, the outer headlights have low and high beam filaments, while the inner headlights are high beam only. Most of the high beam effect comes from the inner high beam only lamps; the high beam filaments in the outer low/high lamps are not particularly strong.

58 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I don't know if it's the quality of the LED headlights or their aim--the lights I've seen are pretty glaring. I had an LED equipped 8000 behind me on the 427, and even half a km back it was by far the brightest set of lights--which it should not have been.

This does prompt a technical question: are the LED headlights high/low beam like their halogen counterparts, or low beam only? To delve into this more, on quad-lamp systems such as used by the VIIs, the outer headlights have low and high beam filaments, while the inner headlights are high beam only. Most of the high beam effect comes from the inner high beam only lamps; the high beam filaments in the outer low/high lamps are not particularly strong.

It should be low beam lights, though I’ve never been in front of a bus from a vehicle perspective. I did some digging and found the initial manufacturer, but I’ll refrain from posting their information on here

8 hours ago, Basket said:

I wished they could of added front door interlock instead, it has saved lives.

This has been something I’ve been curious about asking @Bus_Medic as well as you, has the ttc had many instances of passenger injuries due to lack of front door interlock? Here at Brampton transit we don’t have interlock either and in my years working here I’ve never seen an internal memo regarding injury or accidents resulting from the lack of interlock.

if the doors are fast like the TTC seems to spec the buses I have no issue with interlock, but when doors take a good 8-15 seconds to open fully like our novas do, interlock would be a huge burden and time issue

41 minutes ago, NewFlyerFan said:

This has been something I’ve been curious about asking @Bus_Medic as well as you, has the ttc had many instances of passenger injuries due to lack of front door interlock? Here at Brampton transit we don’t have interlock either and in my years working here I’ve never seen an internal memo regarding injury or accidents resulting from the lack of interlock.

if the doors are fast like the TTC seems to spec the buses I have no issue with interlock, but when doors take a good 8-15 seconds to open fully like our novas do, interlock would be a huge burden and time issue

We have i believe 2 batches that are Novabus LFS and LFS Hev that have front door interlock. I know one incident where a lady was getting on the bus and the driver closed up on her without noticing and unfortunatley she fell off the bus as later the driver noticed, she suffered minor injuries. Although what comes in my mind is that could of been prevented with the front door interlock feature as the doors have to be fully closed so the bus could go in motion and the ops could keep an eye up if any of that went wrong. 

Also, all our novas only take about 4 seconds for the front and back door to open all of our models are LFS based.

I think Bus_Medic has more information about the incidents that occured and may have an easier explanation than mine if you had trouble reading

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewFlyerFan said:

Unfortunately, that definitely ventures into non disclosure agreement territory. 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, ttcbusdude said:

No, it has not. Thank you for telling it here.

9043 has the Orion VII kneeling sound

Quite a bit of birchmount novas have it too

17 minutes ago, ttcbusdude said:

No, it has not. Thank you for telling it here.

9043 has the Orion VII kneeling sound

Quite a bit of birchmount novas have it too