TTC New Vehicle Installations/Unusual equipments

8 hours ago, 63 Ossington said:

Should be the cab supervisor of the division responsible for the route.

And for streetcar replacement shuttles, I have never seen any act like a streetcar, servicing a curbside stop from the left lane - there's absolutely no reason for doing that as it is unnecessarily unsafe. The only times are when it's an island stop.

I know who is supposed to be responsible for placing temporary stop signs up, but I don't see why they would be going out there daily to move the stop. 

As far as servicing a stop from the left lane, it can be done safely. 

Screenshot_20190112-083754__01.jpg

3 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

I know who is supposed to be responsible for placing temporary stop signs up, but I don't see why they would be going out there daily to move the stop. 

As far as servicing a stop from the left lane, it can be done safely. 

Screenshot_20190112-083754__01.jpg

If there is no reason to ie) stop is not impacted by changing construction/roadwork activity nearby then I don't know why the stop would be moved either.. as that is usually the reason to move a stop.

Okay, poor wording on my part - I thought it was established that if the right lane was plugged by parked cars it would be less unsafe. But I meant if a bus chose to not pull into the curb lane and decided to be a streetcar by staying on the tracks, and stopping curb-lane traffic by opening its doors to service the stop that way.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TTC5327 said:

As of today, 5280/1 have been fitted with LED interior lights. Those were the last two cars to be fitted, so this means that all the T1 subway cars have been fitted with LEDs.

Actually it was yesterday, I saw 5280/1 with LED lighting but I thought it already received it a while back. Guess I was wrong

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed something unusual today, while on a 905 Scarborough East Express on a Nova 8713. It was visually displaying "Arriving at" and then saying the stop name, also announcing it via the speaker. I don't take the Express services often, but I've taken it within the last week or so and haven't noticed this. This isn't a Vision bus either, is this something new on Express routes that is rolling out or is this feature enabled on this bus by mistake?

Image_1 2019-02-21_16-53-35.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

I've noticed something unusual today, while on a 905 Scarborough East Express on a Nova 8713. It was visually displaying "Arriving at" and then saying the stop name, also announcing it via the speaker. I don't take the Express services often, but I've taken it within the last week or so and haven't noticed this. This isn't a Vision bus either, is this something new on Express routes that is rolling out or is this feature enabled on this bus by mistake?

This is arriving annoucements, on saturday most Express routes were given them.

1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Only the Express routes have this feature, not the VISION equipped units. The 95E/995 was the first route to have this feature enabled a few years ago and it eventually  got added onto the rest of the express routes. The 905 and 939 had it added last week. But once all of the bus fleet is VISION equipped this feature will go out the window. I know that the 986 doesn't have it yet.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ultimate said:

This is arriving annoucements, on saturday most Express routes were given them.

Ah, cool. So it wasn’t just my imagination that it was a new thing. Thanks

Just now, Shemar said:

Only the Express routes have this feature, not the VISION equipped units. The 95E/995 was the first route to have this feature enabled and it eventually  got added onto the rest of the express routes. The 905 and 939 had it added last week. But once all of the bus fleet is VISION equipped this feature will go out the window. I know that the 986 doesn't have it yet.

Interesting that they won’t maintain this feature with vision. Why even bother with it?

1 hour ago, Ultimate said:

I heard rumors that vision will be getting arriving annoucements also

In fact, there is already... sort of.

I discovered the way stop announcements on a Vision vehicle works is that the next stop is always announced after the vehicle has travelled about 50 m from the previous stop.  If the next stop is greater than a certain threshold (I believe 200-400 m) from the previous one, the system will announce it again approximately 50 m away from it (this is most apparent on express vehicles). One would probably not be aware of this since the arrival announcement uses exactly the same "next stop" wording as the one heard upon departing the previous stop, as opposed to the "arriving at" message that this conversation has been about.

And if you were wondering, the "arriving at..." messages on what is now route 985 must have existed for quite some time now, since the last time I rode it, they use the recorded human voice instead of the TTS one.

34 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

In fact, there is already... sort of.

I discovered the way stop announcements on a Vision vehicle works is that the next stop is always announced after the vehicle has travelled about 50 m from the previous stop.  If the next stop is greater than a certain threshold (I believe 200-400 m) from the previous one, the system will announce it again approximately 50 m away from it (this is most apparent on express vehicles). One would probably not be aware of this since the arrival announcement uses exactly the same "next stop" wording as the one heard upon departing the previous stop, as opposed to the "arriving at" message that this conversation has been about.

And if you were wondering, the "arriving at..." messages on what is now route 985 must have existed for quite some time now, since the last time I rode it, they use the recorded human voice instead of the TTS one.

Yea some express routes did have the arriving annoucements for a while now, but most of the remaining ones got it

• 3 weeks later...