New Flyer D60LF Retirement / Storage watch

Express691

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

8024 and 8095 are at OTC.

7 hours ago, Express691 said:

8024 and 8095 are at OTC.

Yet I am in the process of hunting down all the PoCo artics. These 2 are the only 2 that I am missing. Guess I wouldn't be able to hunt these 2 down. Hopefully they are at OTC just waiting to be repaired

• 2 months later...

For retired buses, don't they save some of the equipment for later re-use? (E.g. T-Comm units, Compass Card readers, destination signs, etc.) I can't imagine it being that cheap to throw out the technology unless TransLink has some unheard-of surplus of equipment...

Given that there's still a Compass reader inside the first rear door, maybe it's being sent back to Oakridge or Burnaby instead?

8 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

For retired buses, don't they save some of the equipment for later re-use? (E.g. T-Comm units, Compass Card readers, destination signs, etc.) I can't imagine it being that cheap to throw out the technology unless TransLink has some unheard-of surplus of equipment...

Given that there's still a Compass reader inside the first rear door, maybe it's being sent back to Oakridge or Burnaby instead?

They do save and reuse the T-comm and compass/farebox equipment either in other buses or just transfer that equipment directly into a new bus that just arrived.  That would be the reason why on some rare occasions, you'll see a bus reporting another fleet number on next bus.  As for other equipment, I'm not sure what they save.

If it was towed directly to scrap, they would have probably had a crew go through and remove what they needed before it got scrapped.  We will find out soon enough where it ended up.

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Hopefully if resumes service. 

I'm thinking otherwise. Since RTC has shrunk in size, I think it is the new yard for buses put in storage.

As mentioned in the D40LF thread, I wonder what's going to happen to 8024 and 8095 and such - 8055 especially. Will they still keep 8055 for insurance purposes?

When that artic caught fire on the way up to SFU in '03, the whole thing was in flames within 7 minutes, but I seem to recall that the only salvageable part was the bike rack. They showed us the pictures in training. The irony that if a bus is involved in a front-end collision, the bike rack is the most likely component to be damaged...

(One time last fall I picked up an owl 17 with a trolley that had been involved in a rear-ender earlier in the day. The operator I relieved told me that the guy he relieved had rear-ended a 100 in Marine Drive Station. The bike rack was mashed right up against the bumper and unusable.)

• Like 2