Express691

New Flyer D60LF Retirement / Storage watch

On 6/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Thomasw said:

It can be considering it’s age and the fact that the 18000 and 19000 artics are rapidly entering service.

I was trying to point out there is more nuance to what can cause a retirement.

If it's issue was something like a flat tire - an hour job to swap out - and it's still needed to make they assignments tomorrow, the road failure won't be a death sentence.

If it pissed out all its transmission fluid and won't move under it's own power, its done.

There are a lot of things that can cause a road failure. And the remedies for such can be anything from a quick and easy repair to a major overhaul. This is why its important not to make assumptions.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, 99.bline said:

Where's 8052?

Quite possibly running on the 98 or 97 B-Line.

On 6/12/2019 at 11:10 PM, Phillip said:

I saw 8050 being towed away about a month ago, so yes it's gone

Back story: 8050 suffered a catastrophic engine failure one Sunday morning while on the 49. It was the bus parked right next to mine in the yard. The guy who took it out was NOT impressed that he had "this old crappy bus for a 10 hour shift". At some point in the middle of the day, so I'm told, one of the pistons shot right through the engine block. 

If I recall from transit fan photos I saw from that day, the replacement bus was also a D60LF, and that bus also later broke down.

Thinking back, I wonder if that was the same day that I had to change off my XDE60 when the STOP ENGINE light kept coming on...

• Haha 7

On 6/22/2019 at 1:26 PM, MCW Metrobus said:

Back story: 8050 suffered a catastrophic engine failure one Sunday morning while on the 49. It was the bus parked right next to mine in the yard. The guy who took it out was NOT impressed that he had "this old crappy bus for a 10 hour shift". At some point in the middle of the day, so I'm told, one of the pistons shot right through the engine block. 

I'm shocked - shocked - that a Series 50 would fail in that manner.

😂

• Haha 1

I think I saw 8050 back in RTC yesterday. Couldn't get a very good look as I was quite far away, but it was definitely a D60LF with a fleet number ending in 0. At first I thought it was 8060, but that one's long gone, and since 8050 was seen running under its own power just a few days ago...

In other news, no D60LFs went out from RTC this morning. 8013 was front and centre though, looked ready to go if necessary as a spare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MCW Metrobus said:

I think I saw 8050 back in RTC yesterday. Couldn't get a very good look as I was quite far away, but it was definitely a D60LF with a fleet number ending in 0. At first I thought it was 8060, but that one's long gone, and since 8050 was seen running under its own power just a few days ago...

In other news, no D60LFs went out from RTC this morning. 8013 was front and centre though, looked ready to go if necessary as a spare.

Thinking 8050 got a new engine along the way. It could become a training unit at this point in the game.

7 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

8013 is about to turn 21 years old in July!! Way past it's 18 year life span!

But given that 15016, 15018 and 15020 are at RTC they could kill the D60LF's now, they got enough buses to finish them. But we will see what happens!

9 hours ago, Phillip said:

8013 is about to turn 21 years old in July!! Way past it's 18 year life span!

But given that 15016, 15018 and 15020 are at RTC they could kill the D60LF's now, they got enough buses to finish them. But we will see what happens!

8013 is the new 7115, lets get it to 22-23 years old!!!

48 minutes ago, cleowin said:

8013 is the new 7115, lets get it to 22-23 years old!!!

Perhaps TRAMS could save 8013? Or it could be turned into a motorhome? 🤔

*This is sarcasm*

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Or it could be turned into a motorhome? 🤔

It probably will be. And foil, pop cans, one yen coins, and all sorts of other things!

Does ABC sell their scrap metal to anywhere in particular?

6 hours ago, Blake M said:

Perhaps TRAMS could save 8013? Or it could be turned into a motorhome? 🤔

*This is sarcasm*

Nope, it'll be turned into a generic condo in some rural village in China, as with all other scrapped buses.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:17 PM, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

Thinking 8050 got a new engine along the way. It could become a training unit at this point in the game.

I can tell you categorically that the training department has no use for an articulated diesel. All artic training is done using artic trolleys as part of the trolley roaming segment of the operator training course. 

Unrelated: I think it's worth noting that the following D60LFs were parked in the active tracks at RTC tonight: 8013, 8028, 8036, 8073. That isn't necessarily a complete list, but with the arrival of several more 2015 XDE60s from Burnaby in the past few days, it is probably safe to assume that those remaining 8000s will be out the door very soon.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Unrelated: I think it's worth noting that the following D60LFs were parked in the active tracks at RTC tonight: 8013, 8028, 8036, 8073. That isn't necessarily a complete list, but with the arrival of several more 2015 XDE60s from Burnaby in the past few days, it is probably safe to assume that those remaining 8000s will be out the door very soon.

Yes, give the D60LF their much needed retirement after many years on the 49, 99, 135 (95), 143, 145.

4 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

No D60LFs on today's bookout at RTC.

8028 and 8073 still in the active lanes.

They didn't get assigned out on Thurs as well.

7 hours ago, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

Where's 8036?

I didn't see it today. I am fairly certain (95%) it wasn't in the active tracks, and it wasn't in the shop either. The one place I didn't look was behind the shop.

1 hour ago, MCW Metrobus said:

I didn't see it today. I am fairly certain (95%) it wasn't in the active tracks, and it wasn't in the shop either. The one place I didn't look was behind the shop.

It could be in Poco with the others for all we know if not retired.

8036 has been sitting on track 53 at RTC since at least yesterday morning, and I have a feeling it's toast. It still has its equipment, but there is no fresh pre-trip card in it, only a used one from July 3.

With the other remaining RTC D60LFs having been moved to Poco, I guess that's it for RTC.

I doubt any D60LF's survive into 2020, but the D40LF's will definitely survive until Q2 of 2020 in my opinion

4 hours ago, cleowin said:

I doubt any D60LF's survive into 2020, but the D40LF's will definitely survive until Q2 of 2020 in my opinion

I agree with you about the D60LF's as there's only ~5 left and they'll be killed after the new TMAC testing ends. But about the D40LFs surviving into spring... not sure about that. Just look at the numbers:

41 old, aging, unreliable D40LFs.

47 shiny new 2019 XN40's coming.

Do the math, as soon as those units come in, Translink will make haste to put them out and kill the D40LFs.