New Flyer D60LF Retirement / Storage watch

Express691

39 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

That fleet [the 1998 D60LFs] should have been retired 5+ years ago. 

That long? Five years ago would have been fifteen or sixteen years of service. I know they’ve been ridden hard and put away wet, but to say that they should have been retired no later than that... were they really that badly off that long ago?

• Like 2

I was riding 8022 and I never thought I would say this about a New Flyer LF but damn I wished that bus retired. I could have jogged faster than it when it was going up the hill on Dunbar from marine drive to 41st. And there wasn’t even any traffic in front of it. IT WAS SOOOO SLOW, just like many of the 1999 D60LFs 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GORDOOM said:

That long? Five years ago would have been fifteen or sixteen years of service. I know they’ve been ridden hard and put away wet, but to say that they should have been retired no later than that... were they really that badly off that long ago?

One might argue they weren't in good shape when they rolled out of the factory but...

Yeah - these weren't great coaches new - and the 1998s spent how many years working full days on North America's busiest bus line? The slightly newer ones aren't much better either - they were run ragged on the 98 B-Line. 

It is truly a testament to CMBC's maintenance team that these can still do a days work ... I'd love to see the cost per mile on these versus new equipment to see how much they're spending to keep them on the road.

When you look at similarly long lived coaches ... think about the RTSs that New York City is still operating (for a few more weeks). Those coaches were also subject to long service hours and tough road conditions (though probably overall lighter loads) but the RTS is considered to be an extremely durable, rugged transit coach. I rode one a few months ago ... it rattled like crazy but still got down the road okay (with the same Series 50 as in CMBC's D60LFs). But I wouldn't expect anything less as those are much better coaches, overall, than the 1998-2003 model year D60LFs.

Honestly, I'm surprised that artics can/do last as long as 40 footers. Even (Calgary's) '09 D60LFRs seem like they are just about done, and they're only 10! Note that this is solely based on the amount of creeking, acceleration/braking, etc. and not from a maintenance perspective.

3 hours ago, Thomasw said:

I was riding 8022 and I never thought I would say this about a New Flyer LF but damn I wished that bus retired. I could have joyed faster than it when it was going up the hill on Dunbar from marine drive to 41st. And there wasn’t even any traffic in front of it. IT WAS SOOOO SLOW, just like many of the 1999 D60LFs 

Yes it is. I drove 8022 and hoped it was retired already.

26 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

It's done, I've seen a picture showing it in HTC.

Lol I actually rode it on the 12th, I got a video out the back of it UBC -> Dunbar, my first time ever videoing a ride. RIP.

Not many d60lfs left on my commute now.

8 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

It's done, I've seen a picture showing it in HTC.

4 hours ago, Ninja Bus Fan said:

RIP 8026 

YcwNlp8.jpg?1

8026 was decent to drive, had nice acceleration. But 8022 is STILL IN SERVICE ? that one should've been retired, not 8026.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

A road failure is not an indication that the bus will immediately thereafter go to the scrap line.

It can be considering it’s age and the fact that the 18000 and 19000 artics are rapidly entering service.