Their plans may not require the capacity.  I'm purely speculating.  They may have a number of wide bodies due for heavy maintenance that will take them out of service and need some capacity.  In 5-6 year WestJet will have several Dreamliners of their own plying the same routes taking market share from Air Canada hoovering up any new demand.  Or they just stumbled across an opportunity to get some spare capacity for a low price.

Who knows what the demand will be in 5-6 years. Though, the four A330's being leased are specifically are replacing the mainline 767's. 

Refurbing the existing A330's is cheaper than converting options. 

Can anyone help me with this? What kinds of plane can I get on AC2411? Flightradar24 isn’t helping me and the Air Canada website is useless for this

3 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Can anyone help me with this? What kinds of plane can I get on AC2411? Flightradar24 isn’t helping me and the Air Canada website is useless for this

It's a chartered Omni Air 767-200. They're subbing in for the MAX's while they're grounded.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DL1892 said:

It's a chartered Omni Air 767-200. They're subbing in for the MAX's while they're grounded.

Will Air Canada return to service once the MAX’s are back and if/when so what vehicle will be used?

31 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

Will Air Canada return to service once the MAX’s are back and if/when so what vehicle will be used?

Yes, AC will return. IIRC the MAX's will be used for a majority of the western Canada/Hawaii runs. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:03 AM, Streety McCarface said:

Does anyone know why Air Canada opted to purchase used A330s and keep their A330 fleet longer over exercising options for 787s, and perhaps adding some -10s for the SFO/LAX/YVR flights?

Because it's the best aircraft for the job AC needs them for.  They've got great CASM, lots of life in them, lots available and can easily be transferred to Rouge when the time comes.

Just like cars, having the nicest, newest most shiniest isn't always the most economical or smartest.

C-GROV. Air Canada's first A220-300 keeps tracking on the ground YMX any possible date for delivery for it

On 7/20/2019 at 11:57 PM, dev161 said:

YOW-FRA-YOW flights once the 767 is retired !!!

In May Lufthansa is taking over the route as a seasonal route 5x weekly May to October with an A340-300

55 minutes ago, John Oke said:

In May Lufthansa is taking over the route as a seasonal route 5x weekly May to October with an A340-300

yeah saw the update a month ago , thanks though :)

On 12/10/2019 at 7:16 PM, John Oke said:

C-GROV. Air Canada's first A220-300 keeps tracking on the ground YMX any possible date for delivery for it

What do you use to track planes, pardon me for asking but in a bit interested

44 minutes ago, TTC Guy said:

What do you use to track planes, pardon me for asking but in a bit interested

Flightradar24 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:09 PM, Enzo Aquarius said:

- 8 Dash-8-400s are leaving the fleet in 2020.

You sure it isn’t the dash 8-300

On 2/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, Enzo Aquarius said:

- Retirement of the A320s goes into full swing in 2019, with some transfers to Rouge.

Boy do I ever wish this was true. With the Max 8s grounded there have only been 5 A320s that have retired in the last year. This leaves 35 A320s left. Sigh. I absolutely hate Air Canada’s old ass A320s where half the time I get on the TVs don’t work and every time I sit down my knees are flattened by the seat in front of me. Not only that but I find the A320 such a bland aircraft, same goes with the 321 (except the Ex. WoW Air ones because they have actual leg room) and the 319. 
None of the 3 A320s that Rouge operates are Ex. Air Canada. They are all Ex. InterJet

• Like 2

From a passenger perspective, the B737 early versions were a phenomenal aircraft.   However the latest versions of the NG the 800's and 900's, and the Max are from the passenger perspective - not desirable.  First of all, airlines have tightened seat pitch over the years, and that includes every aircraft manufacturer, and every model they make, add in 737's are narrower than the 320 series, so that means the seats are about an inch narrower.  That doesn't sound like much, but believe me it makes a major difference.  The other thing you should be aware of is how lavatories have been shrunk by about 30% on the newest NG's and Max's.  Those new mini lav's are absolutely horrid, so how can a parent change a baby diaper - impossible, or if your unfortunately handicapped you had better wear diapers, because those lavs are not an option.  So before complaining about a legacy inflight entertainment system, consider your comfort crammed in a Boeing 737 Max, or NG!

5 minutes ago, YVR said:

From a passenger perspective, the B737 early versions were a phenomenal aircraft.   However the latest versions of the NG the 800's and 900's, and the Max are from the passenger perspective - not desirable.  First of all, airlines have tightened seat pitch over the years, and that includes every aircraft manufacturer, and every model they make, add in 737's are narrower than the 320 series, so that means the seats are about an inch narrower.  That doesn't sound like much, but believe me it makes a major difference.  The other thing you should be aware of is how lavatories have been shrunk by about 30% on the newest NG's and Max's.  Those new mini lav's are absolutely horrid, so how can a parent change a baby diaper - impossible, or if your unfortunately handicapped you had better wear diapers, because those lavs are not an option.  So before complaining about a legacy inflight entertainment system, consider your comfort crammed in a Boeing 737 Max, or NG!

The A320s (ceo and Neo) are both also seeing the same shrinkages that are occurring on the 737 series. 

I'll take a Boeing sky interior any day over the Airbus hard product, even if it means sacrificing half an inch of width. 

• Like 2

As a WestJet Gold and AC 75K Elite member, I'll take an A320 over a B737 any day of the week,  preferably one with the old AC interior that has seats that have an actual cushion unlike the wooden plank on WS's fleet.  Airbus's windows are nicer (with the exception of the Max), the Airbus is quieter and overall, a much more passenger friendly aircraft.  Shame it took Boeing over 30 years to build a product thats half as decent.  Same goes with the widebodies, the A330/340, from a passenger point of view is so much more comfortable and quiet than the B777 ever was.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

The A320s (ceo and Neo) are both also seeing the same shrinkages that are occurring on the 737 series. 

I'll take a Boeing sky interior any day over the Airbus hard product, even if it means sacrificing half an inch of width. 

Intersting, I wasn't aware that a fancy ceiling gave you more comfort than a wider seat!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, John Oke said:

How old are the Q400’s?

The oldest batch are 12 years old, acquired used from Frontier Airlines in 2011. As far as I'm aware, this is the batch going.

35 minutes ago, John Oke said:

How old are the Q400’s?

The 400s date from 2007-2016 so they are brand new compared to the 100s and 300s

3 hours ago, YVR said:

Intersting, I wasn't aware that a fancy ceiling gave you more comfort than a wider seat!

Much better overhead bins, better lighting, and increased ceiling height definitely improve the experience of flying. People have their preferences. 

• Thanks 1