Air Canada

Blue Bus Fan

3 hours ago, 9924 said:

Oh I totally get that, but as the MAX grounding has shown, investing in one aircraft type has its down sides as well, even thought the chances of something like that happening are extremely rare.  But we'll just say my comment was just based on personal preference ?

Oh fair enough, and as you can probably tell I'm quite a Boeing guy myself :P

Yes, it can pose its own difficulties, although at the end of the day, once the MAX gets back in the air I think it'll be one of the safest aircraft in the skies just because the FAA and Boeing are under such scrutiny to make sure the plane is safe before it's allowed to fly again. So I feel and hope that the plane won't have any more such issues in the future - and I think it'll go on to serve airlines for a long time to come.

And yes to answer your original point, I was actually somewhat surprised personally when AC chose the MAX to replace the A320 family, as few airlines choose to switch aircraft families in this way.

C-FITW a 777-300ER in the new livery has been ferried to YMX for some reason. This plane has been flying the YUL-FRA route since at least the 12th maybe earlier. My guess is for maintenance checks or disinfection because of a possible coronavirus case 

32 minutes ago, John Oke said:

C-FITW a 777-300ER in the new livery has been ferried to YMX for some reason. This plane has been flying the YUL-FRA route since at least the 12th maybe earlier. My guess is for maintenance checks or disinfection because of a possible coronavirus case 

Seeing that a big chunk of AC's flights will be cancelled over the coming days, you'll be seeing a lot of ferry flights as the fleet slowly becomes inactive.

1 hour ago, Zortan said:

Yes, it's quite scary - we could really see so many major carriers gone bankrupt.

I've heard rumors of Norwegian, Etihad (Highly doubt it given the people who finance it.), Possibly American Airlines because before all of this it was rumored they where heading for another bankruptcy. Alitalia was going to be one before it was rescued by the Italian Government. We have only seen Trans State Airlines(Capacity Contract with United) and Flybe go under so far. Apparently VS is permanently canceling it's LHR-EWR route and grounding 75% of its fleet. Delta, United and American are pressuring the US government for a bailout. We are heading for uncharted territory!

I wonder if we'll see a early retirement of some of the 767-300ER, E190's and A320 family as well

As well 2 other planes have been ferried over to YMX an A330 registered as C-GHKW(could be going for the new interior as well) and a A320 registered as C-FXCD  

Yeah, it sure is uncharted territory. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens - hopefully it turns out decently well but crossed fingers aren't going to help airlines in this one.

I imagine we could see some early retirements, however I also think they might just store some of the planes, especially with the uncertain future of the MAX - when the COVID-19 crisis is over they'll still need planes and the MAX probably won't be ready for service for a while still.

I’ve seen several photos on Twitter of several AC,WS,TS and WG planes parked at YYZ. And there are rumours of YKF shuttling down runway 14/32 to store planes on. Personally as well I would not be surprised if some E175/E190’s, Dash 8’s and CRJ’s stored possibly at YOO if they use minimum takeoff weights because I have seen the CRJ and Dash 8’s there before either on diversion or a private ones and with a minimum takeoff weight the Embraer planes can also takeoff and land there as well

I honestly doubt it since everything is so shut down. However, after this crisis is over demand might take a while to recover so that could be a good time for re-painting, new interiors, heavy maintenance, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

This would be my proposed fleet of Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat merge into one after the buyout is complete

Retire the A319,A320, and 767-300ER 

it would be 

27 A321-200

16 A321NEOLR

2 A321NEO 

16 A330-200

4 A330-300

total

65 Aircraft 

the 8 737-800’s could be sold, stay in the new Transat/AC Rouge fleet, join the mainline fleet or be retired 

10 hours ago, John Oke said:

This would be my proposed fleet of Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat merge into one after the buyout is complete

Retire the A319,A320, and 767-300ER 

it would be 

27 A321-200

16 A321NEOLR

2 A321NEO 

16 A330-200

4 A330-300

total

65 Aircraft 

the 8 737-800’s could be sold, stay in the new Transat/AC Rouge fleet, join the mainline fleet or be retired 

Most of Rouges current fleet are still fine. If anything I would send the Transat A321NEOLR and A330-300 to mainline Air Canada. The A321, A321NEO A330-200 and 737-800 to Rouge as expansion as Transat would be lost. 

I would put the A333 and A321NEOLRs on all Transats transatlantic flights under the Air Canada name. Then the A321, A321NEO, A332 and 738’s could be additional service for Rouge. Keep in mind the Transat/Air Canada merger rebrand is not confirmed and if a merger happens, the loss of Transat will mean a loss of a low cost carrier to Sun Destinations. Service will need to be supplemented, the Transat fleet can’t replace Rouges current fleet, it needs to add to it. Rouge will then carry the original Rouge passengers and the Transat passengers on a fleet the same size based on @John Oke‘s thought. If the Transat fleet is mostly added to the Rouge fleet I think it will be more effective. 

I don't believe Transat will be re-branded. From what I heard, part of the merger deal is that AC will retain the Transat brand for X number of years (can't remember how many). On the other hand, it may make more sense to fold Rouge into Transat, given Transat's better reputation and better recognition.

looking at the current route suspensions on the Air Canada Website, It seems like YYZ-SNN won't resume until June 2021 because it shows under "Temporary Airport Operation Suspensions" and under Atlantic this. 

Shannon - SNN Temporary suspension until June 2021

I don't know if this has to do with the MAX situation or COVID-19.

But Air Canada seems to have all non-Winter only flights (ie: YHZ and YOW to Florida seasonal flights) resume by June 4th with the last flights to resume being YYZ-RSW(Last US route to resume), YUL-BCN, YYZ-BRU, YYZ-PRG, YYZ-VCE resuming or starting for the summer season on June 3rd and the last to resume will be YYZ-MXP on June 4th

3 A320’s have gone to Marana,AZ for scrap today and several rouge 767-300’s have gone there for storage as well

the A320’s being scrapped are

C-FDQQ(AC’s first A320)

C-FPWE

C-FFWJ

the 767-300’s going into storage are

C-FXCA

C-GHLQ

C-FMWV

C-FMWY

C-GHPE

and another unidentified E190 is scheduled to head to Marana tomorrow most likely for scrap 

3 hours ago, OC Transpo Route 95 said:

Flightradar24 showing that E190 registered C-FMZD is heading to Marana as AC2337 from Toronto. Scheduled departure from YYZ at 6:30am.

EDIT: Departed YYZ at 6:44am.

Now it’s scheduled to leave Marana for YYZ at 9:40MST, 12:40EDT and scheduled to land at YYZ at 4:14EDT. So it seems like it’s not going to be scrapped for some reason 

As well there’s a 737MAX8 leaving MZJ for Windsor about 30min before the E190

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Now it’s scheduled to leave Marana for YYZ at 9:40MST, 12:40EDT and scheduled to land at YYZ at 4:14EDT. So it seems like it’s not going to be scrapped for some reason 

As well there’s a 737MAX8 leaving MZJ for Windsor about 30min before the E190

It (the E190) probably went to Marana to collect the air crews that flew the A320s and B767s down, and return them to YYZ.

For example: On April 3, British Airways sent 5 of their 747s to Teruel, Spain for storage, then used an A320 (G-EUUR) to bring the crews back to Heathrow (as flight BA9253).

• Thanks 1