Air Canada

Blue Bus Fan

4 hours ago, anyfong said:

It seems that the A220 inaugural on YUL-YYC indeed will take place on 16 Jan, despite what it says in the schedule which needs to be updated.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-canada-airbus-a220-launch-delay/

A flight between Calgary and Toronto is happening right now and is descending on Toronto

Flight #AC7170

64600F0F-1859-4071-B961-B0700A3782F6.png
Current Screenshot from Flightradar24

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

A flight between Calgary and Toronto is happening right now and is descending on Toronto

Flight #AC7170

64600F0F-1859-4071-B961-B0700A3782F6.png
Current Screenshot from Flightradar24

Those are only test flights. It has been doing test flights for at least the last week and a half.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 1:27 PM, anyfong said:

It seems that the A220 inaugural on YUL-YYC indeed will take place on 16 Jan, despite what it says in the schedule which needs to be updated.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/air-canada-airbus-a220-launch-delay/

AC still hasn't updated their schedules, but based on the current seat map, there's plenty of seats available in both Business and Economy. On my end there's also Fixed Mileage Aeroplan seats available for 12,500 points one way (plus $90 taxes).

In other news, from my most recent trip to YYZ:

- The new mini Maple Leaf Lounge in the outlying transborder gates is very nice. Not as many amenities, but when I went, the main lounge was packed, and the mini lounge only had 3 people in it. It also let's you watch operations at Gate F98. Gate F99 appears to still not be functioning yet. All seats in the pier have USB power.

- "The Shed" doesn't feel like a shed anymore but a full-fledged terminal pier. No longer need to wait for an elevator, with a new escalator, more amenities, and skybridge gates. You have to go up a ramp in order to access the bridges.

- Air Canada (and United) customer service in transborder has been moved closer to gate F82. Their old digs near the escalator are still there but unused. 

- Air Canada Express C-FSKM (CRJ-100) has been returned from storage and is back in service.

• Like 3

Two things:

I am flying on AC858 (YYZ-LHR) in July and the departure time is being switched between now and then to 10:00PM. Currently the departure time is 11:50PM. And the flight is being switched to a 777-300ER instead of the current 787-9. I’m assuming the latter is due to seasonal demand. And the former is because they where probably able to switch that slot at LHR with another airline.

With the Transat merger. Will AC get any of Transat’s slots at LGW or will they sell them off or trade with another airline for slots at LHR? For the flights that Transat operates to/from YYZ,YVR and YUL?

On 1/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, John Oke said:

Two things:

I am flying on AC858 (YYZ-LHR) in July and the departure time is being switched between now and then to 10:00PM. Currently the departure time is 11:50PM. And the flight is being switched to a 777-300ER instead of the current 787-9. I’m assuming the latter is due to seasonal demand. And the former is because they where probably able to switch that slot at LHR with another airline.

With the Transat merger. Will AC get any of Transat’s slots at LGW or will they sell them off or trade with another airline for slots at LHR? For the flights that Transat operates to/from YYZ,YVR and YUL?

Transat will run as a stand alone company for now. NO changes

• Thanks 2

The era of the A220 at Air Canada has begun, with C-GROV on AC317 this morning (albeit, running over an hour late).

The aircraft will be doing runs between Montreal and Calgary today (AC317/AC318/AC323). I can't locate a timetable for it's flights for the remainder of the week.

• Like 1

• Board Admin

Air Canada unveiled its first Airbus A220 jetliner at an event in Montreal on Wednesday morning.

The 137-seat aircraft is the first of an eventual 45 the airline aims to have flying by 2022.

The narrow-body aircraft — whose maiden voyage takes off for Calgary from Montreal on Thursday — grants Canada’s largest airline greater range and cost savings.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6416141/air-canada-unveils-airbus-a220/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, A. Wong said:

It's been mainly sticking to the Montreal-Calgary runs, but it's adding some Montreal-Toronto flights to the mix today,

@anyfong Thanks for uploading the picture of C-GROV on the wiki! I wanted to make the trip out to Montreal to try for the first flight, but work is very busy around these months.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Enzo Aquarius said:

It's been mainly sticking to the Montreal-Calgary runs, but it's adding some Montreal-Toronto flights to the mix today,

@anyfong Thanks for uploading the picture of C-GROV on the wiki! I wanted to make the trip out to Montreal to try for the first flight, but work is very busy around these months.

I've got more pictures to upload from my Montreal-Toronto flight today!

IMG_0347 (2).jpg

IMG_0482 (2).jpg

• Like 3

I have a feeling that Air Canada might’ve placed a order for the A330-900NEO. Because about a week ago Airbus announced a order for 40 of them placed in December 2019. They didn’t reveal the customer however. The reasoning why I’m suspecting that AC is behind the order is because of the Transat merger. Because of this order they can either retire the rouge 767’s and replace them with the A330-200/-300/-900 (with the -200’s coming from Transat) post merger there will be 35 A330’s 16 of the A330-200 and 19 A330-300) this would allow there to be more than a one for one replacement to retire the rouge 767’s which in some cases are well over 30 years old. As well to expand the mainline fleet and/or see some older A330-200/-300 to be retired and even some of the older 777-200 but may sacrifice some long-haul routes with A330’s having less range than a 777-200

As well I'm flying on a 777-300ER this summer with AC the flights are YYZ-LHR and FCO-YYZ. What is the 777-300 like I've never flown on it before?

And finally here are two photos of a Air Canada A321 at YOW taxing for YVR. Taken on Canada Day 2019.  Couldn't get the registration.

IMG_2083.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nick B said:

The A350 is a very high possibility too... just saying...

That would make sense if they're going to retire some of the 777-200 as well If they place a huge order for it. But looking at current orders for the A350 there are 8 A350-900's on order for a unidentified customer. Or they might just long-term wet lease from a leasing company. But Farnborough is coming up this July. Maybe we'll see an order than. Who knows

My guesses for the next wide-body order for Air Canada are:

777X

A350-900/-1000XWB

A330-900NEO

787 even though they said they won't exercise their options

maybe the 747-8i or A380 second hand

or maybe they're waiting out for the Boeing NMA which is dubbed the 797

1 hour ago, John Oke said:

Very doubtful, the 787s, 777s and A330s provide ample long-haul service for Air Canada. The quad-jet era of Air Canada ended after the retirement of the A340s. Air Canada appears to be more into the second-hand market of A330s and A321s (for Rouge).

Second-hand 747-8is likely won't be hitting the market for many years, and they'll be taken up by cargo carriers or sit in the desert for parts.

The second hand A380 market is barely existent aside from leasors.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:53 AM, John Oke said:

That would make sense if they're going to retire some of the 777-200 as well If they place a huge order for it. But looking at current orders for the A350 there are 8 A350-900's on order for a unidentified customer. Or they might just long-term wet lease from a leasing company. But Farnborough is coming up this July. Maybe we'll see an order than. Who knows

My guesses for the next wide-body order for Air Canada are:

777X

A350-900/-1000XWB

A330-900NEO

787 even though they said they won't exercise their options

or maybe they're waiting out for the Boeing NMA which is dubbed the 797

I sort of doubt this to be honest. The A350 is smaller than the 777, which isn't even very old (by AC standards, anyway. Remember this is the airline with 30-year-old A320s). Same for the A330neo. They already have a large (and expanding) fleet of the A330ceo. And the likely replacement for those is the 787-8 and -9 in the interest of fleet commonality. In terms of the 777X, I think we could definitely see that as a replacement for the current 777 fleet. 748 and A380 are both very unlikely - just too big and inefficient. And there isn't too much space for the NMA in the current fleet / network. 

29 minutes ago, Zortan said:

And there isn't too much space for the NMA in the current fleet / network. 

767 replacement, routes include:

Toronto-Ottawa

Toronto-Denver

Toronto-Montreal

Toronto-Calgary

Toronto-Edmonton

Toronto-Quebec City

Toronto-NYC

Toronto-DC

Toronto-St.Johns

Toronto-Phoenix

Toronto-Pretty much the entire Caribbean 

Toronto-Chicago

Montreal-Ottawa

Montreal-Some smaller European destinations

Vancouver-LAX

Vancouver-SFO

Vancouver-MEX

etc.

I did the math and there will be 26 spare 737-8,-9 and A220-300 once the A320 family and E190 families are completely retired. Enough room for some route expansion without options being exercised from Airbus or Boeing 

Note: this is not including the 15 A321NEO’s and 5 737-800NG’s that will be received from the Transat merger

5 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

767 replacement, routes include:

Toronto-Ottawa

Toronto-Denver

Toronto-Montreal

Toronto-Calgary

Toronto-Edmonton

Toronto-Quebec City

Toronto-NYC

Toronto-DC

Toronto-St.Johns

Toronto-Phoenix

Toronto-Pretty much the entire Caribbean 

Toronto-Chicago

Montreal-Ottawa

Montreal-Some smaller European destinations

Vancouver-LAX

Vancouver-SFO

Vancouver-MEX

etc.

Only the YUL-Europe routes would require the NMA and for the rest it would be just plain inefficient. There's no point in carriers hauling around a heavier, only slightly higher-capacity plane on short-haul or cross-country routes. The MAX and the A220 can fulfill that job perfectly fine imo.

As for YUL-Europe - possibly, although the 787-8 and A330 could also fulfill many of those routes.

6 hours ago, John Oke said:

this is not including the 15 A321NEO’s and 5 737-800NG’s that will be received from the Transat merger

Is it confirmed the Air Canada will take over the Air Transat Brand name, if they don’t then the A321s and 737s will operate under the Transat name. And if Air Canada takes over the name what is to happen of the aircraft?

According to Flightradar24 the second A220-300 registered as C-GJXE was delivered yesterday after a 22min flight from YMX-YUL

As well for some reason C-GROV has gone to YMX for some reason I’m assuming for maintenance checks

edit: C-GJXE went into passenger service 2 hours after delivery as AC323 from YUL-YYC. It looks currently scheduled to do YYZ-YUL as it’s scheduled for 5 flights tomorrow on that route. I’m currently in Ottawa so if I see one at cruising altitude I’ll post it on here

Edited by John Oke
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 12:52 PM, John Oke said:

Anyone know the retirement date for 767-300?

The most recent quarterly results for AC (Q3 2019) show 767-300 departure during 2020.

The next fleet update should be out next week, so we'll see what happens (the original plan was for them to be retired in 2019).

The remainder of the Embraer 190s are planned to leave the fleet this year as well, along with 19 (more than half) of the A320s and all of the Dash 8-100s.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, TTC Guy said:

Is it confirmed the Air Canada will take over the Air Transat Brand name, if they don’t then the A321s and 737s will operate under the Transat name. And if Air Canada takes over the name what is to happen of the aircraft?

I don't think the plan is for AC to kill the Transat name, but rather to keep it as it's generally a well-liked brand. So the A321s, 737s and A330s will likely stay with Transat, although there will likely be a lot of network re-shuffling to avoid rouge-transat competition (or who knows? Maybe rouge will merge into transat).