Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

On 6/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, brianc1981 said:

Is there an update to the service expansion that is or was planned for September last year? I know it was postponed due to the pandemic. Is that going to happen this year?

I do have an update as informtaion has beeen a bit difficult to come by. BFAST teleconferenece meetings with the Director of Burlington Transit hasn't been as frequent. But I do have an update.

Regarding the service expansion:
Plans are that for September, a full return to pre-pandemic service levels across the system will be re-implemented. Information will be available on BT's website in the coming weeks.

The 7 replacement buses for this year are from the Metrolinx consotium, so yup, more Nova LFSs. 

She did receive a brief fleet update. However, she wasn't told if the  2020 ordered LFSs have arrived, but did say that there are now 2 2007 and 2 2008 buses remaining in the fleet. This indicates that the longtime missing buses,D40LFs 7038-07 and 7045-08 are retired.

There will be the completion of modelling work and the rollout plan for zero-emission buses in Q1 of 2022.

Plans for future expansion will be contigent on whether approval is given for growth buses in the 2022 captial budget.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

do you know if they have the new or old drivers window?

Don't want to be rude, but when he mentioned that they're 'identifcal to the 2019's', it means thsat they're the same.

What caught my attention was that the numbering again is strange compared to what BT has been using for so long. The 2019 Novas arrived as 1901-1907 and maintenance had to apply a "7" to the beginning of the numbers so that they'd be associated with the city's conventional transit department. I suppose the same thing would happen here with this batch and the next.

1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

is there an update on unit 71904? i know it was involved in an accident back in October 2020 and ive been told from a Burlington Transit operator that it needs a whole new engine.

Itll be back when its finished being repaired if it did.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

i have 2 questions.

1. so 4 of the new Novas are for replacement so will the buses be 7037-07, 7039-07, 7043-08, and 7044-08? they are the 4 oldest in the fleet and to me that would make the most sense to retire them 

2. is there a estimated time of how long those 4 buses have before retirement?  

They will most likely be retired when the new buses enter service.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

i have 2 questions.

1. so 4 of the new Novas are for replacement so will the buses be 7037-07, 7039-07, 7043-08, and 7044-08? they are the 4 oldest in the fleet and to me that would make the most sense to retire them 

2. is there a estimated time of how long those 4 buses have before retirement?  

I feel that given 7038-07 & 7045-08 are already finished, it may acccount for 2 of the 4 retired buses by the 2020 ordered Novas. I am assuming that the only other two buses to retire upon those new LFSs to enter service would likely be the last two 07's or one of the 08's and one 07.

I have no idea. They'll retire when they do.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I had spotted 2101 on the 10 by chance at the Downtown Terminal, the number was 2101, without a "7" preceeding them.

Before anyone asks, I'm not certain on retirements. However perhaps there may just be 2 buses retiring out of the 2 remaining 2007 D40LFs (7037-07 & 7039-07) as well as the remaining 2 2008 D40LFs (7043-08 & 7044-08.).
Presently, 7037 and 7044 have been seen in regular service whereas 7039-07 and 7043-08 haven't been in awhile. We'll see what happens.

Edited by newflyerinvero
  • Like 1

Talking to a driver that I know, what apparently they are planning to do, is not actually retire any buses yet until some other buses get a midlife refurbishment. The other plan is to potentially keep buses for a possible expansion. There are plans to add more service sooner rather then later. So retiring buses now is not in the best interest. They will be doing that next year according to the driver I know, as more buses come in. 

10 minutes ago, brianc1981 said:

Talking to a driver that I know, what apparently they are planning to do, is not actually retire any buses yet until some other buses get a midlife refurbishment. The other plan is to potentially keep buses for a possible expansion. There are plans to add more service sooner rather then later. So retiring buses now is not in the best interest. They will be doing that next year according to the driver I know, as more buses come in. 

That's very interesting. Perhaps ridership is coming back much better than anticipated.

Refurbishing buses I don't think has happened in a long time to my understanding. There are currently  buses that are on my MIA list that might be in said refurbishment. However, I'm not rushing to judgment here. 

Later this month is the next meeting between the Director of Burlington Transit and BFAST. That will be a question I will bring up.

In fleet news, 2021 LFSs 72102 and 72103 are the ones which have had their fleet numbers updated with the 7s applied. #2101 doesn't have a 7 applied as of yet. I imagine the remaining units will enter service with the 7 added to their fleet numbers.

On 10/5/2021 at 11:48 PM, brianc1981 said:

I'll not be attending the teleconference in the 28th between BFAST and the Transit Director. However, I did email her and she responded pretty quickly :

They're looking at expansion budes in the 2022 budget, pending council approval,, so at this time, there's no need to refurbish buses.

In the future, be careful of reporting information from drivers as it's more likely than not as the best sources of information.

5 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

'll not be attending the teleconference in the 28th between BFAST and the Transit Director. However, I did email her and she responded pretty quickly :

They're looking at expansion budes in the 2022 budget, pending council approval,, so at this time, there's no need to refurbish buses.

In the future, be careful of reporting information from drivers as it's more likely than not as the best sources of information

The driver that I know happens to also have close ties to management. The info I got came from this driver who had received it from the higher ups in management. I consider my source pretty informed and have got lots of information before. If I didn’t trust the source I wouldn’t have said anything 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

I dont know why but i have a feeling 71904 is retired because 4 of the new LFS' were suppose to replace 4 buses which would be 7037-07, 7039-07, 7043-08, and 7044-08. 7044-08 is still roaming the streets and theres no sign of 71904 anywhere. So they couldve used one of the 2021 Novas to replace 71904. This isnt confirmed this is just a odd thought

It is not retired unless it was involved in a serious collision which they deemed unrepairable or a fire which would be deemed a write off..

29 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

It was in a accident on October 5, 2020 and aparently the engine was pushed back so maybe BT wants to keep 7044-08 running instead of fixing 71904.

Another possibility is that they could be keeping 7044-08 around temporarily until 71904 is back from repairs. Consider it as a "self-loaner".

To be clear, I don't have any information regarding the status of 71904, so I'd prefer to wait for some official word before declaring it retired.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A new, modified transit service schedule will take effect tomorrow, Sunday, January 9th , until further notice due to operator shortages caused by Omicron/Covid-19.

Route 1 - Plains-Fairview:

Base frequency is 15 minutes. Peaks 10 minutes.

Routes 2 - Brant/3 - Guelph:
Base frequency 30 minutes, 7 days a week.

Route 4 - Central:
Hourly 7 days a week.

Route 6 - Headon:
Hourly 7 days a week.

Route 10 - New-Maple:
30 minutes 7 days a week.

Route 11 - Sutton-Alton:
30  minutes 7 days a week.

Route 12 - Upper Middle:
30 minutes Mnday-Friday; Hourly on weekends and holidays.

Route 25 - Walkers:

30 minutes 7 days a week.

Route 48 - Millcroft:

Assumed to not be running until in-erson class sessions resumes at high schools.

Routes 80 - Harvester/81 - North Service:
30 minutes during the day, Monday-Friday.

Route 87 - North Service-Aldershot:
45 minutes during peaks.

Route 101 Plains Express is still temporarily suspended. To be honest I'm not sure if i should use teh word "temporarily' in describing the 101 not running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Burlington Transit sure Had some bad luck Monday. Saw 2105 all smashed up sitting in the ditch at walkers line and north service road. Front end smashed and front door all mangled. They left it there overnight.

I saw 2104 today for the first time in service.

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, ORION said:

Burlington Transit sure Had some bad luck Monday. Saw 2105 all smashed up sitting in the ditch at walkers line and north service road. Front end smashed and front door all mangled. They left it there overnight.

I saw 2104 today for the first time in service.

Man that's unfortunate. Hoping the operator is ok and wasn't seriously hurt. BT at this point is down 2 LFSs on long term repair, assuming 72105 will be fixed up.

Wondering.. for quite awhile now, the conventional Arbocs, #s 7060-13, 7061, 7062-14 & 7063-15, the ones which have destination signs, bike racks and the curved livery stripes at the back, have been essentially been used as either Driver shuttles , would they still be identified as conventional byses on the roster based on those features described above, or to become Handi-Van buses?

Lastly, a good cash infusion from the Gas Tax program, $2.3 million.

https://www.insauga.com/burlington-receives-more-than-2-3m-from-province-to-expand-improve-public-transit/

• Root Admin
5 hours ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

Just saw a picture of 72105 and the damage on it is VERY minor. The photo im about to send ISNT my photo, its from a facebook group

B80E7A72-6021-4375-B0EF-CD7639A7823E.png

Cosmetically it appeared the windshield was cracked and the front door panes and glass destroyed.

it’s what you don’t see under the bus that’s a concern…

• 1 month later...