Burlington Transit

8 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Did Burlington wrap a bus for the holidays this year?

Based on my notes, since after December 3rd (Burlington's Santa Claus Parade), I hadn't seen neither 7018-15 or 7010-09. Either of them could be the 2017 Christmas bus but am unsure. Every other bus I've seen since that date until now has had regular ads on them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It appears Burlington sold off their 2007 D40LFs to Cityview Bus Sales.   photo courtesy of J. McKee

I saw 7030 this morning on the 15...their days of service i'm sure are numbered. Here is a sneak peak at the new 7028.

Vicinity buses 7026-17 and 7032-17 are both in service today. I assume its their first day of service.

Posted Images

On 12/23/2017 at 8:06 AM, TTC 9701 said:

Did Burlington wrap a bus for the holidays this year?

Unfortunately not. The new marketing coordinator got it to the advertising agency too late for them to choose a bus. It's unfortunate but they will be working on one for next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I had wanted to straighten out the Vicinity situation with Burlington Transit to determine how many were on order and for what year. I had gotten an answer from Vice President of Grande West Transportation John LaGourgue. 

Hi Nicholas -

Burlington Transit had ordered 4 Vicinity buses that were delivered in 2017 and 7 buses ordered for 2018 – to be delivered before April 2018.

Hope this helps!

John

?ui=2&ik=198805a43f&view=fimg&th=160bd53e8d3de556&attid=0.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ_qA1Mfhquny9Cv7VP5oOrqJ7nQkx_bf0RhdusFjWcnVCgwhv9F9GHA2V--7Ji69qLLD7ZK3c05ejIJH_-1Drc29mrzuzQPH7KQmvz3DfrXh2s3Lh1SWAIm7Ao&sz=s0-l75-ft&ats=1515013369040&rm=160bd53e8d3de556&zw&atsh=1

John LaGourgue
VP Corporate Development
Cell: 604.209.9800
Office: 604.607.4000
jlagourgue@GrandeWest.com
www.grandewest.com

There is one thing that I am still very curious about and confused. I still remember that there was a 3 conventional bus order that was announced in March during the Public Transit Infrastruture Funding announcement.

While in a meeting with Sue Connor with BFAST on Thursday, it was discussed that 3 Vicinity buses are due in April. Unsure about the 7 that I brought up that was detailed by Grande West. Unless if it wasn't known that the other 4 would be coming in later in the year. Still awaiting that information. Anyone else know anything more?

Burlington Transit is ready to go to the south side of Burlington GO, but are awaiting on Metrolinx to give them more bus bays. Timing is undetermined. More clearly, they're waiting on what bays will be available. BT would love to have a bay or two along Fairview Street just outside of the south side loop, probably meant for route 1 going west, in the same design like what Eastgate has with the westbound 10 - BLine Express. If the Fairview-based bay is built, it could be done in the spring making it evident that the move to the south end would be in April or May. That's all I know at this point.
Anyone else know anything more?

22 minutes ago, Kit Kat said:

Spotted a brand new promaster today doing a handi trans pick up at the Burlington North Wally-Mart.  Can't recall what the fleet number but it was a 17 so that could explain the gap in the fleet numbers with the Vicinities.

This is just speculation but they could have as many as three of them as the gap is  7029-17 to 7031-17.

Burlington typically numbers the buses dedicated to Handivan in the 8000-XX series, so they should not conflict with the conventional units unless Burlington has changed their numbering system.

Does anyone know how many Blue Bird units are left in service? I know someone spotted 7028-06, but are there others? If only 4 Vicinity buses have arrived, there isn't enough yet to (officially) retire all 6 Blue Birds.

On 09/01/2018 at 9:29 PM, Kit Kat said:

Spotted a brand new promaster today doing a handi trans pick up at the Burlington North Wally-Mart.  Can't recall what the fleet number but it was a 17 so that could explain the gap in the fleet numbers with the Vicinities.

This is just speculation but they could have as many as three of them as the gap is  7029-17 to 7031-17.

On 09/01/2018 at 9:43 PM, Articulated said:

Burlington typically numbers the buses dedicated to Handivan in the 8000-XX series, so they should not conflict with the conventional units unless Burlington has changed their numbering system.

Numbering system is the same. The Promaster is 8098-17. Seen it a few times today. Looking at the gap in the mobility fleet. I could guess that 8097 is the other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Bird 7027-06 is active in the garage. Plated, bike rack, Presto system, radio, etc. That unit as well as 7028-06 are the ones that are active out of hte 6.
Updated information. 7 Vicinity buses, not 3, are due for Burlington Transit in April. Unsure if this means they would all be replacement, or part replacement and/or part expansion, but at least the number is official now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So after talking to a supervisor and some drivers, there is going to be a major service change at BT starting in September. 1 of the big changes involves the routes 1/21/101. Essentially the 101 will be discontinued but the 1 will not be servicing Aldershot anymore due to 2 other changes. The 21 will be discontinued and the route 1 will operate every 15 minutes from Hamilton to Burlington GO but 2 trips will extend to Appleby going straight across Fairview with no loop around Burlington Mall. The changes to Aldershot are also big. The HSR route that services Waterdown currently operates every 20 minutes but on a clockwise/counter-clockwise routing. Well, starting in June it is scheduled to merge with the HSR route 8. It will operate from downtown Hamilton and operate past the RBG and over to Waterdown road and Plains then it will continue to Aldershot GO and then continue to Waterdown via a more consistent counter-clockwise routing every 30 minutes. The other plan from BT in the fall is that the route 5 will only run from the Downtown terminal and make its way to Plains and King, instead of a right turn on Plains and then right onto Frances to go back to the terminal it will go left and head to the Aldershot Station. Aldershot will then be served every 30 minutes during the daytime hours Monday to Saturday. 

Other changes that are upcoming based on what I have been hearing is the routes 2/3 will be improved to run every 20 minutes using the same number of buses as now, based on all the time the current schedule allows. Currently, there is a 13-15 minute recovery time at the 407 carpool lot, and 5 minutes at the terminal, and 10-15 at the GO station. Route 10 will not interline with the 20 anymore, so for riders that stay on at Appleby and proceed to go towards Burloak a transfer will be required. The main reason for that change is because the Oakville bus along the 14 route allows the route 20's frequency to be decreased slightly. Ridership on the 20 is also fairly low. Word is the route will change slightly to absorb some of the east end routings of the 4 and parts of the 40 to allow for a better frequency on the 4 as it will interline with the route 5 downtown heading towards Aldershot. The other change will see 30 minute or better service across the system on routes before 9 pm Monday to Saturday. 

Based on a comment of an article from the Burlington Gazzette, the commentor discussed that in the capital budget, the $1.5 million that is being allocated to Transit would be for new shelters, security cameras, new holiday service on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, upgrades to the Downtown Terminal as far as what I can remember.
In terms of the fleet, retiring of two buses but no new bus purchases for this year. I hope this person understands that hte 7 Vicinity buses that are on their way aren't officially 2018 buses, but were approved in the 2017 budget even with their '-18' in their fleet numbers.
The retiring of 2 buses leads me to believe that they're the last two Blue Birds which are essentially active in the garage, leaving the D40LFs surviving for another year at least.

1 hour ago, Brian451 said:

So after talking to a supervisor and some drivers, there is going to be a major service change at BT starting in September. 1 of the big changes involves the routes 1/21/101. Essentially the 101 will be discontinued but the 1 will not be servicing Aldershot anymore due to 2 other changes. The 21 will be discontinued and the route 1 will operate every 15 minutes from Hamilton to Burlington GO but 2 trips will extend to Appleby going straight across Fairview with no loop around Burlington Mall. The changes to Aldershot are also big. The HSR route that services Waterdown currently operates every 20 minutes but on a clockwise/counter-clockwise routing. Well, starting in June it is scheduled to merge with the HSR route 8. It will operate from downtown Hamilton and operate past the RBG and over to Waterdown road and Plains then it will continue to Aldershot GO and then continue to Waterdown via a more consistent counter-clockwise routing every 30 minutes. The other plan from BT in the fall is that the route 5 will only run from the Downtown terminal and make its way to Plains and King, instead of a right turn on Plains and then right onto Frances to go back to the terminal it will go left and head to the Aldershot Station. Aldershot will then be served every 30 minutes during the daytime hours Monday to Saturday. 

Other changes that are upcoming based on what I have been hearing is the routes 2/3 will be improved to run every 20 minutes using the same number of buses as now, based on all the time the current schedule allows. Currently, there is a 13-15 minute recovery time at the 407 carpool lot, and 5 minutes at the terminal, and 10-15 at the GO station. Route 10 will not interline with the 20 anymore, so for riders that stay on at Appleby and proceed to go towards Burloak a transfer will be required. The main reason for that change is because the Oakville bus along the 14 route allows the route 20's frequency to be decreased slightly. Ridership on the 20 is also fairly low. Word is the route will change slightly to absorb some of the east end routings of the 4 and parts of the 40 to allow for a better frequency on the 4 as it will interline with the route 5 downtown heading towards Aldershot. The other change will see 30 minute or better service across the system on routes before 9 pm Monday to Saturday. 

The 4 interlining with the 5 at Downtown is necessary and having it brought back to 30 minute service Monday-Saturday is essential on many levels. Not the least of which are that people whom are wanting the 4 currently would have to 'guess' when it's supposed to leave or to arrive at the silly 40 minute headway. 30 minutes makes it more predictable and reliable. Sunday service to the 5 is the next step which would then interline it with the 4 downtown on those days.

The 2 and 3 going to every 20 minutes all day tells me that they want to tighten up the schedules on both routes and in both directions to increase reliability and limit the long dwell times. Not the least of which the bus congestion at the 407 carpool where, at one point you can have 5 Burlington buses, an Oakville bus and a GO bus or two at the same time. Not a pleasant sight when one is trying to 'take turns' trying to leave while others stay laying over until they're supposed to leave. Man, a proper terminal is in order up there!

What would the 20 be able to do to cover portions of the 4 and 40 east of Appleby Line? Keep in mind that the 14(A) that serves Burloak between New and Lakeshore is hourly during base periods and every 30 minutes during peaks. I guess as long as the frequencies are a bit more favourable in that area, good. I've felt that 20 minutes in that area seems a bit much. 30 minutes on a redesigned Route 20 would be better served.

When describing the 1 only having two trips along Fairview to Appleby Go, you're meaning just two trips heading there? I know that the 25, would still be going along Prospect/Cumberland/Guelph to Burlington GO, but not on Fairview to Brant. It was restructured to continue on Guelph to Queensway to make it actually operate to be more on time.
With that being said, why just two trips to Appleby GO on the 1 along Fairview east of Guelph Line? The 25 would only go as far as Walkers. It wouldn't make at all sense to only have the 1 going to Appleby GO just twice. I sure hope that's a typo. Either that, or a redesigned 15 - Walkers would be a 7-day service between Appleby GO and 407 Carpool meaning a transfar at Walkers/Fairview for the 25 at Walkers to continue westwards.

15 minutes on most routes even on Saturdays? What about Sundays? Any details about improving Saturday service, or even Sunday frequencies on the 6, 11, 12, 25?

In closing, it does make sense for a September implementation as, the new operators that are currently being hided would be in place. The proper causal and full time positions would be filled. The rest of the Vicinity's would be in place and the fleet would be more bigger to sustain a better service until 2019.
Now, about Burlington Go?

The point of having 15 minute service from Hamilton to Burlington GO and 30 minutes east of Burlington GO is designed to at least keep the service consistent if there is delays leaving Hamilton. Apparently there will be extra time built in on all trips. The 25 will be 30 minute service. All trips that go out of service at places like the carpool lot would finish at the GO. 15 minute service to Hamilton would be until 7 pm. 20 minute frequencies would reduce to 30 in the evening and all routes would be 30 or better all day until 9 pm or so. Saturday and Sunday would have 30 minutes across all routes. Apparently the 80/81/83 would have extended service as well

2 hours ago, Brian451 said:

The point of having 15 minute service from Hamilton to Burlington GO and 30 minutes east of Burlington GO is designed to at least keep the service consistent if there is delays leaving Hamilton. Apparently there will be extra time built in on all trips. The 25 will be 30 minute service. All trips that go out of service at places like the carpool lot would finish at the GO. 15 minute service to Hamilton would be until 7 pm. 20 minute frequencies would reduce to 30 in the evening and all routes would be 30 or better all day until 9 pm or so. Saturday and Sunday would have 30 minutes across all routes. Apparently the 80/81/83 would have extended service as well

Love it!

I think that if the 15-minute service on the Route 1 between Burlington GO and Hamilton would mean the 1 wouldn't be a full route to Appleby GO given the frequencies, unless if this would be a 1/1A scenario developing. If that's really hte case I'd still keep the 21 but minus the Prospect/Cumberland diversion and only have the 25 do that. Both the 21 and 25 would serve Fairview east of BurlGO at combined 15 minutes.

I'd be curious to see what this new Route 20 is and what kind of coverage and routing it would use to cover the 4 east of Appleby and essentially eliminating the 40, too.

On 26/03/2018 at 9:40 PM, Brian451 said:

The changes to Aldershot are also big. The HSR route that services Waterdown currently operates every 20 minutes but on a clockwise/counter-clockwise routing. Well, starting in June it is scheduled to merge with the HSR route 8. It will operate from downtown Hamilton and operate past the RBG and over to Waterdown road and Plains then it will continue to Aldershot GO and then continue to Waterdown via a more consistent counter-clockwise routing every 30 minutes.

As posted in the HSR thread, this is 100% false.

If the rest of the post is true about route 1 not servicing Aldershot GO anymore, I feel sorry for the customers from Waterdown who are destined to either Burlington or Hamilton.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2018 at 10:18 PM, Brian451 said:

Would there still be differences of the 2 and 3 going to the 407 carpool from weekdays to weekends? Perhaps if those two routes do serve the 407 Carpool all the time, may as well eliminate the "A" lettering given that at this time, it means two different things. A is counter-clockwise (15A, 40A), but it's an extension of a route, too. X is, too apparently. But I hope that silly X = extension of route is gone and replaced by a proper 1A.

On 3/28/2018 at 3:02 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

As posted in the HSR thread, this is 100% false.

If the rest of the post is true about route 1 not servicing Aldershot GO anymore, I feel sorry for the customers from Waterdown who are destined to either Burlington or Hamilton.

What is posted in the hsr thread in something I cannot comment on. Based on information I have been given by upper levels of management at hsr these changes are happening for 2 reasons. The counter clockwise routing they are choosing to run and on a 30 minute service is for schedule reliability. Second the York street bus isn't busy at most times of the day but the stretch of route out of Hamilton towards Burlington is. In fact Burlington transit has complained that they pick up and drop off too many passengers that only travel within Hamilton because of a lack of hsr service. This way merging the 2 routes into one and running from Hamilton to waterdown makes it easier for people to travel between the 2 cities 

• 3 weeks later...

Steady improvement key to Burlington Transit’s future, director says

sue-connor-w650x441.jpg

Burlington Transit Director Sue Connor makes a point during her presdentation as BFAST Chair Doug Brown looks on.

Burlington Transit’s report card improved slightly over the past year and about 100 transit users and community activists left the fourth annual Transit Users’ Forum at the Seniors’ Centre Apr. 21 with a renewed sense of optimism for the future of the city’s bus system.

Burlington Transit Director Sue Connor told the meeting she is committed to seeing steady improvement in service and is hoping for support from City Council.

Burlington MPP Eleanor McMahon outlined millions of dollars in extra provincial funding for the system. Participants also got the chance to question Connor and a panel of community transit advocates at the forum, sponsored by BFAST (Burlington for Accessible Sustainable Transit) and 13 other community organizations.

doug-brown-w650x486.jpg

BFAST Chair Doug Brown said new federal and provincial funding for transit doesn’t let City Hall off the hook in paying its fair share for transit.

gareth-williams-podium-2w325x403.jpg

Longtime BFAST volunteer Gareth Williams, a candidate for Ward 3 in the municipal election, moderated the panel discussion.

New fall schedules will make use of new equipment and personnel to ease the strain on the system, Connor reported. She said she was frustrated that improvements could not be made faster but many technical issues had to be fixed. “You have to fix your foundation before you build you house.”

Drawing on her experience as Director of Brampton’s system, Connor said Burlington Transit would investigate establishing a grid system of routes that she said would get passengers to their destination more quickly.

15-minute service

“It won’t be long before we have 15-minute service to the three GO stations in Burlington,” she said. “We have to be prepared for that.”

transit-report-card-2018-w325x421-232x30“Although there’s still a lot to do, I have to recognize that City Council made a big investment in transit in 2017 and 2018. And I think that was a remarkable step and hopefully we can keep that momentum going,” she said.

Connor praised BFAST for organizing the forum. “Their insight into transit in Burlington has certainly helped me, in my early days, to see what some of the issues are,” she said.

BFAST Chair Doug Brown urged Burlington’s city council to do its part by raising per-capita funding above its current rank of lowest in the GTA.

“Transit investment saves cities money. Brown said. “It does not result in additional spending, it results in long term savings. You need less road capacity, you need less maintenance, you need less parking, you’ve got all the health benefits of lower emissions and the list goes on an on.”

Strategic investments

Burlington MPP and President of the Treasury Board Eleanor McMahon said the government was reversing a previous pattern of downloading responsibilities and costs to municipalities.

ealeanor-mcmahon-w325x282.jpg

Burlington MPP Eleanor McMahon reviewed new federal-provincial funding for transit.

“It’s important that we continue to make strategic investments in transit infrastructure in Burlington,” she said.

“Burlington will receive an extraordinary $45 million in public transit funding” as a result of a federal-provincial agreement detailed in an announcement a week ago, she said.

Recent school closings will also affect demand for transit, warned a trustee for the Halton District School Board. Connor reported that Burlington Transit was now meeting regularly with school-board transportation officers on issues like these.

jim-thurston-w325x232.jpg

Jim Thurston, chair of the Burlington Seniors Advisory Committee, asks a question during the panel discussion.

The bus bays on the north side of the Burlington GO station will finally move back to the south in 2019, Connor reported. But designers of the station renovation left room for only six bays on the south side. “I have not been able to get an answer from Metrolinx” on the reason for the shortfall, she said. Burlington Transit is studying construction of a bus bay on Fairview St., a short walk to the station, but final plans would not be ready until 2019.

The downtown terminal will have improved hours, from 8am to 6pm on weekdays and 9 to 6 on Saturdays “and we will not be closed a half hour for lunch,” Connor said. The new hours will be effective in May.

Presto cards more available

marianne-meed-ward-w325x385-253x300.jpg

Ward 2 Councillor and mayoral candidate Marianne Meed Ward brought greetings from City Council.

Transit users applauded the news that a deal is being finalized to make Presto fare cards available at seven Shoppers’ Drug mart locations across the city. And they welcomed the announcement that the downtown terminal will be open longer and will not be closed during lunch hour.

The marks on this year’s transit report card, decided by the roughly 100 people in attendance, improved slightly from last year. While the system’s drivers once again got an A and fares got a B-minus, passenger info got C-minus and convenience and schedules got an E. The BFAST Steering Committee awarded a D to City Council on the budget issue, saying last year’s infusion helped but more commitment is needed.

Those were among the highlights of the half-day meeting, which saw a number of provincial and municipal candidates in attendance. Ward 2 Councillor and mayoral candidate Marianne Meed Ward welcomed participants in the absence of Mayor Rick Goldring, who was out of town for the event. Former MP and current mayoral hopeful Mike Wallace also attended.

bt-staff-w650x460.jpg

Burlington Transit donated door prizes and had drivers and staff on hand to answer questions.

registration-w650x480.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It has been approxmiatly a month or a bit longer since last spotting 7035-06. Haven't seen on the tracker either during that similar time frame.
Does anyone else have confirmation if that unit is retired or not as well as any of the active Blue Birds in the garage?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2018 at 9:39 PM, Hybrid0920 said:

Not sure if old news or not, but 7027-06 is up for auction at Bryan’s Auction in Puslinch. https://bryansfarm.hibid.com/lot/40490357/2006-gmc-24-passenger-bus?q=Bus&cat=0

5442DFB6-3825-48CB-8578-0FE8C1200ABA.png

I"m not really sure if anyone would take that POS thing to be honest.

So this means that the Blue Birds 7027 and 7028-06.  Given that the new Vicinities (any other reports of the other 4 arriving?), that would be having retirements of two 40 foots, probably meaning 2 2006 D40LFs, any other information or confirmations of other retirements since then?

• 2 weeks later...

Stop off in Burlington today on my way home for the first time in many months and still sad to see no BT using the south new loop. Didn't have time to do much shooting and saw no new buses.

I see they are still working on the station.🤬

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

BT 7015-10 on the tow from Plains, headed to garage at 11:10am.

Now that's interesting because I'm looking at the roster right now and there is no 7015-10 anywhere on it.