Hybrid0920

Burlington Transit

On 2017-07-08 at 5:03 PM, newflyerinvero said:

One thing that stands out is the two-piece door similar to Oakvilles'.
In addition, since it looks as though that there are two units decalled already and would be in service soon, what was that bus in the shot to 7028-17's left? It doesn't have decals and I don't think it's a Vicinity. Is that a dead bird at all, or something else?

Lastly, seeing how fast and furious the TTC Nova order(s) are coming in, would Burlington's be sped up that they could be delivered much sooner rather than later?

Burlington piggyback'd off the 2016 oakville order last year. So far i've seen 7026, 7027 7028 and 7032, so its safe to say they're getting 7 delivered. 

I have no information on Burlington receiving an order of buses from Nova. Where did you get this from??

11 minutes ago, orionbus said:

Burlington piggyback'd off the 2016 oakville order last year. So far i've seen 7026, 7027 7028 and 7032, so its safe to say they're getting 7 delivered. 

I have no information on Burlington receiving an order of buses from Nova. Where did you get this from??

Based on the PTIF funding announcement at the end of March and also confirmed to me from both John Duncan and Sue Connor a couple weeks ago. Would make an assumption on Nova on the basis of when the order was made, but I could be wrong on that basis. 3 40 foots confirmed, yes.

On 3/31/2017 at 5:03 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Burlington, Ontario, March 31, 2017  Investing in public infrastructure supports efficient, affordable and sustainable transit services that help Canadians and their families get to work, school and essential services on time and back home safely at the end of a long day.

Today, the Honourable Karina Gould, Minister of Democratic Institutions and Member of Parliament for Burlington, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Eleanor McMahon, Member of Provincial Parliament for Burlington and Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation, and Councillor Blair Lancaster, Ward 6, City of Burlington, announced 16 newly approved projects that will benefit Burlington under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). The federal government is providing up to 50 per cent of funding for these projects—just over $3.4 million.

Earlier today, Prime Minister Trudeau acknowledged the importance of public transit to Canadians as stated in Budget 2017, and also announced federal funding for major GO Transit Regional Express Rail projects across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

Budget 2017 is the next step in the Government’s long-term plan to create jobs and strengthen the middle class. Prime Minister Trudeau spoke about how Budget 2017 will make ambitious investments in public transit projects that shorten commutes, decrease air pollution, and allow Canadians to spend more time with their families.

The PTIF projects include significant investments across Burlington. Planned improvements include new multi-use pathways, the addition of two new accessible and three new conventional buses, transit shelter upgrades, and the purchase of new transit technologies such as arrival display signs. New buses will support the growth of the city’s public transit system while other improvements will make getting across the city easier, faster and safer for transit riders.

In addition to these projects, Minister Gould and Minister McMahon also announced that 104 public transit projects will benefit 11 other communities across Ontario.

This investment is part of an agreement between Canada and Ontario for the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

Quotes

“The Government of Canada is working closely with the Government of Ontario and municipalities to invest in important transit initiatives that will strengthen communities across Ontario by growing the middle-class, fostering long-term prosperity and getting Canadians to their daily activities on time and home at the end of the day. Canadians today and into the future will benefit from the projects announced today, which will provide Burlington residents with affordable and efficient public transit infrastructure.”

Karina Gould, Minister of Democratic Institutions and Member of Parliament for Burlington, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities

“I’m delighted to see a renewed commitment from both levels of government to support improved public transit right here in Burlington. As a long-time cycling advocate, I’m thrilled with the extension of multi-use pathways, which will connect cyclists and pedestrians to the downtown core without compromising safety. The expansion of our fleet with three regular buses and two Handivans will increase options and provide transit users a more comfortable commute. I am proud to support these ongoing efforts to help the people of Burlington in their everyday lives.”

Eleanor McMahon, Member of Provincial Parliament for Burlington and Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, on behalf of the Honourable Steven Del Duca, Ontario Minister of Transportation

“The City of Burlington welcomes new Federal and Provincial public transit infrastructure investments in our community. These investments will support the city’s goal of further providing various transportation options for our residents, including public transit, walking and cycling.”

Deputy Mayor Blair Lancaster, Ward 6, City of Burlington

Quick Facts

• The Government of Canada will provide more than $180 billion in infrastructure funding over 12 years for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, transportation that supports trade, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
  • To support public transit networks and service extensions, Budget 2017 proposes $20.1 billion over 11 years for provinces and territories.
  • Since 2004, the Government of Ontario has committed more than $3.7 billion to municipalities across the province through the provincial gas tax program. This funding supports municipal transit systems.
  • The Government of Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history. To learn more about what’s happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.

Related Product

Backgrounder: Canada and Ontario announce funding for 120 public transit projects across Ontario

Associated links

Government of Canada’s $180-billion+ infrastructure plan in Budget 2017: http://www.budget.gc.ca/2017/docs/plan/chap-02-en.html#Toc477707375

Federal infrastructure investments in Ontario: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/map-carte/on-eng.html  

The Public Transit Infrastructure Fund: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/ptif-fitc-eng.php

Building Ontario - Infrastructure Plan: https://www.ontario.ca/page/building-ontario

Based on that information, the amount of buses, does this affect the current orders, or has anything changed here?

@orionbus. Just to straighten things out. I had bolded the 3 conventional buses from the PTIF funding.
Considering that the original Vicinity order is for 4 while the 2017 order is for 7, I can't see how the original Vicinity order was changed. If it had, I"d suppose the PTIF funding went to increase the original Vicinity order.

In terms from what I was told a few weeks back, it could have easily been a bit of misinformation, too. 

3 conventional buses does not mean 3 nova buses. I will get a confirmation from Grande West about the total order. Vicinity buses are classified as conventional. I think you have been misinformed.

20170707_100549.jpg

20170707_100857.jpg

20170707_100518.jpg

20170707_100759.jpg

• Like 3

Has anyone heard if the buses are being relocated to the new terminal area for Sept board change??

We are coming up to the 5th anniversary when work started on this station.

15 hours ago, drum118 said:

Has anyone heard if the buses are being relocated to the new terminal area for Sept board change??

We are coming up to the 5th anniversary when work started on this station.

The 5th anniversary of that construction is January of 2018.
And no I haven't heard of all buses (including GO) moving to the new south end for the next board period. Somehow I believe Burlington is waiting for GO Transit to make that announcement so they know it's open and good to use?

At least 4 Vicinity buses were delivered last week. 7026-7028 and 7032.

3 blue birds 7031-32 and 7029 are parked. I assume they are retired. 32 is missing its presto/farebox and front door.

Thenk you Jon for putting that up. Been having problems in trying to link and post it myself on here.
Whenever you have someone who is putting in recommendations based on the same budget without even thinking about increasing the transit budget so the options of including both grid and coverage be included...this is dangerous.
This 'new network' to me will just be what it is now - just fancied to look like a more 'frequent' network. 

On 8/7/2017 at 9:42 PM, Jan Boic said:

3 blue birds 7031-32 and 7029 are parked. I assume they are retired. 32 is missing its presto/farebox and front door.

It would be funny if those Vicinities enter service (7027-17 and 7028-17 in particular) when Blue Birds 7027-06 and 7028-06 are still in service.:lol:

I want to clarify something. This is the report that was put together by Jarrett Walker who has analyzed the system without making alternatives or suggestions to increase the transit budget. Unfortunately at this time this report is not available on the BFAST site. I will put forward the motion at the meeting to have it available at the meeting to make it available on the site for further information that the public can gather.
These are just concepts, but not proposals. Either way, I don't like these concepts. 
These were made by City Staff and not Transit Staff. 

On 8/7/2017 at 9:42 PM, Jan Boic said:

Does anyone know if the Vicinities that were delivered in July have been put into service yet? These new deliveries are making me think that they're being saved for September.

Does A and B as well as X mean the same thing now?
Yep, the 2A/3A are 'extensions or deviations of their routes'. The 1X is an "extension or a deviation of its route". Wait, aren't the A supposed to be counter-clockwise like the 40A/B or 15A/B? I thought the X was.
I suppose what's going on is even though that this is just a reduction of 2 buses overall in total peak requirement for weekdays and 1 less bus for Saturdays, that perhaps Sue Connor is making the A more specific to a branch letter and not a clockwise/counter-clockwise situation. But, the 1X remains. 12X is gone, though. Opinions, thoughts, please?

Also part of these changes is NO REFERENCE to returning to the south end bus loop at Burlington GO Station. Is BT so complacent that they're willing to stay there until the end of the time and not notice that as of September 2nd, the GO Route 12 buses (and the overnight 18's/early morning 18's) will no longer be on the same side.
Are they being fed information on when they SHOULD go to the south end? Or, waiting until the new ticket areas and waiting areas are opened up for them to move down there? Whatever the reason and I want to get many of yous to contact your sources @ BT to see if they know for certain that they are going to the south end with those schedules, too.

As of last week @ Burlington GO Station.
I did see that the new ticket areas are no longer tarped off. They can actually be seen! In addition, more areas of waiting space have also had their tarps removed, too.  Looks like it will be opened once the GO Route 12 buses go to the south end loop.
@Jan Boic, or @drum118, can any of you confirm if Burlington Transit will be relocating all of their routes down to the south end bus loop?

From my source @ Burlington Transit, BT buses will remain at the north side of Burlington GO come September 3rd. Unsure of when they will go to the south side.
Although the reason wasn't given for remaining on the north side, I suspect that these changes/schedules were made well in advance prior to GO announcing the GO 12 buses would be serving the south end bus loop.

Edited by newflyerinvero
More information needed to be posted.

Is all of the Burlington new station open and in service with no fencing up?? Both elevators working?? What about GO Customer Service area??

24 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Is all of the Burlington new station open and in service with no fencing up?? Both elevators working?? What about GO Customer Service area??

GO Customer Service ticket sales are open. Fecning is down in that area. Unsure about the elevators.

4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

GO Customer Service ticket sales are open. Fecning is down in that area. Unsure about the elevators.

Then the 2nd elevator should be in service since it was ready when the first one started. It was block off along with the rest of the area and since tickets sales is open, then the rest of the area is.

I assume the east entrance is also open since there wasn't much to be finish when I saw it over a month ago.

Burlington Transit is now on Transsee as of tonight. For those wishing to test it out by fleet numbers, remove the dash between the last digit of the fleet number and the year.

For example: 703306-703506.

• Thanks 1

Vicinity buses 7026-17 and 7032-17 are both in service today. I assume its their first day of service.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2017 at 0:49 PM, Silly Tilley said:

7027-17 was in service this morning on route 87. 

Then later appeared on Route 4 at about 5pm going westbound at Prospect & Guelph Line.
Not the smoothest ride as I'd think the roads of Burlington can make any new bus bumpy in a short order. Didn't have the new bus smell but it wasn't as if that the smell inside was foul of any sorts. Very good buses.
7026-17 was a 3A/2A today as well.

When the law is involved, it makes those in charge of funding decisions for Burlington Transit very...shocked.

And if that wasn't enough, BFAST wants an inquiry into transit's downfall.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Needed to include a linked article to important transit news.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:20 PM, drum118 said:

Then the 2nd elevator should be in service since it was ready when the first one started. It was block off along with the rest of the area and since tickets sales is open, then the rest of the area is.

I assume the east entrance is also open since there wasn't much to be finish when I saw it over a month ago.

Yes, the east tunnel is also open. Don't know when that opened.

Had a look at Burlington on Friday between the rain storms and not finish even thought its open.

The 2nd elevator still not working after all these months after the first one was open to the public.

Looks like horded up retail space in the corridor at the east end.

GO buses using the new south side next to the main entrances to the station. 

The old kiss and ride area close off to be rebuild.

Bus bays start at 4 to 14 with 4 & 5, 13 & 14 in the driveway.

I see 3 options for Burlington Transit starting with the next board change:

Option 1, as before construction

Option 2, buses stay where they are now

Option 3, move everything to the south side.

What every takes place riders will either spend more on buses getting to/from the station or waking to the 2 bus loops.

End up talking a few riders and they were not impress how long it taken to get it open as well the contractor. The same contractor did work on the new hospital and was not only late, they screw things up badly there as well.

On thing I noticed and seen it happen at other places, illegal drop off and pickup taking place in the new south loop. Need some big signs and flasher telling these fool driver you aren't allow to do this. A few cars started to make the turn and realize their error and either continue east or do a u-turn.