Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

• 4 weeks later...

Just a status update and for anyoen else who has any other information about what's going on with these two D40LFs:

According to my notes, the last tiem I had seen 7033-06 was on July 4th. 7034-06 was last seen was August 8th as it was changed off. 
Understanding that the Vicinities were to have retired two D40LFs and 7035-06 is already retired, is 7034 retired and what's the status of 7033?

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update.
Transee reported 7034-06 to have been in service yesterday, forget which route.
I did look into the back of the garage from Harvester. Based on what I had seen, a D40LF, with its rear end facing the tracks was back there with one Vicinity and a couple of other cutaways. My minocular couldn't zoom in close enough to see if ti still has a bike rack or anything else. If that was 7033-06, well, who knows. But that's what I was able to see anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  1 hour ago, MTL66 said:

Yesterday I was at Nova Bus for a display with the FHTCQ.

Burlington Transit:

Waiting for livery finalization: 7033-18, 7036-18

All above have old style driver window

Wait, what? I had no idea that there were even two Novas for delivery this year. 
But 7036-18...there's already a 7036-07...

(The above posted that I had quoted was from the "Sightings at the Nova Bus Factory". Anyone with any other knowledge of this?

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.burlingtontransit.ca/en/news-and-alerts/route-changes.aspx

Here are the new changes as of November 4. I must say, I'm impressed. They're removing the nonsensical interlines of routes 5 and 80 and 6 and 11, put route 12 back to 30 minute frequencies and shifting the schedules of routes 11, 21, 25, 81 and 83 to accommodate train connections. This will help especially during the peak periods.

I have also noticed that the ARBOCs are rarely used now. This doesn't surprise me as there's more than enough of the Vicinitys to cover the smaller ridership routes.

4 hours ago, Chris W said:

https://www.burlingtontransit.ca/en/news-and-alerts/route-changes.aspx

Here are the new changes as of November 4. I must say, I'm impressed. They're removing the nonsensical interlines of routes 5 and 80 and 6 and 11, put route 12 back to 30 minute frequencies and shifting the schedules of routes 11, 21, 25, 81 and 83 to accommodate train connections. This will help especially during the peak periods.

I have also noticed that the ARBOCs are rarely used now. This doesn't surprise me as there's more than enough of the Vicinitys to cover the smaller ridership routes.

Yes I was going to have brought that up seeing as there was a sighting of 2 Novas for Burlington Transit, numbered 7033-18 and the other being possibly 7036-18, although to be more likely numbered 7035-18, at the Nova plant from a couple weeks back.

Would possibly replace a couple of those Arbocs.

Edited by newflyerinvero
More information.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Yes, the newest Vicinities were built in 2018, specifically 7030, 31, 64, 65, 66 and 7067-18 are all 2018 builds whereas 7029-18 is a late-2017 build.

No it's not. 7029-18 is a February 2018 build. I got the VIN last time I was there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Warning! Duplicate fleet numbers in operation akert!

2018 Nova LFS 7036-18 is in service. I forget which route it is on, but, don't get it confused with D40LF 7036-07,  which it too, is in service.

Do you think maybe that's on purpose cause they'll drop the LF soon, or no? This is an amusing observation.

13 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Do you think maybe that's on purpose cause they'll drop the LF soon, or no? This is an amusing observation.

As amusing as it may be, this isn't the first time with matching fleet numbers on two different buses being in service at the same time.
In 2009, just before the 85/86 Gm Classics retired, the 2009 D40LFs had matching fleet numbers and for a time, unsure of how long, but boht Gm's and D40LFs were operating with similar fleet numbers.
Then back in 2017 when the first 4 Vicinities starting to appear in service, two Blue Birds, although still active in the garage just before they retired were duplicated.

The 2015 Nova LFSs were going into service with the same numbers as the 2003 Inveros. I don't think, unless if did happen for a day or two, with duplicate fleet numbers.

I am speculating here but I feel like the same is true with duplicate fleet numbers of 7036-07 and -18 won't be like that for too much longer. I think what may have happened was a decision was made to retire a D40LF, but I suppose the decision may have changed during, or after the application of the 7036-18 fleet number at Nova Bus. I have no idea what buses, if any would be retiring from these two Novas that are both in service, both 7036-18, but also 7033-18, too. Would this mean that 7033-06 is confirmed to be retired as well? I hadn't seen it since sometime during the summer.

I do have other information from BT for the upcoming year of 2019.

First, they are involved in the CUTRIC program. For awhile, it was first determined that they wouldn't be participating on the basis of what funds would be used to fund how many buses, for what propulsion and which manufactures would build them. It is to my understanding that the funding may be coming from Federal Gas Tax or the current PTIF funds for this year and into the first quarter of 2019. There will definitely be a follow-up to this as I receive more information or when others do.

2019 will also mark the year that not only would BT be FINALLY be going to the south end of Burlington GO Station, it would come on the same timeframe, or on the same day as a significant system network change which would be leading to major improvements, not the unncessary changes that had occurred to massive ridership declines that began in November 2013. This much more improved system would look to be happening for September.

BT's discussions with Metrolinx haven't been very productive. Either there hasn't been as much discussion if at all to get more bus bays at the GO Station for BT to use, or Metrolinx considers it a 'done deal, construction's finished, move on' and therefore, it's onto an alternative plan.
BT is strongly considering in putting in a couple of bus bays on Fairview Street at the intersection of the Go Station's south end driveway. It would be very easily accessible with other BT route as well as GO. This plan had been considered since March or April of this year, but it was more dependent on Metrolinx to put in more bus bays but looks like that's gone nowhere.

According to Sue Connor, for 5 years where there is going to be a constant increase in both capital and operational funding requests for the transit budget to aide in the system's improvements year over year until within that 5-year timeframe a more detailed Transit Plan would be available. The timeframe of this plan is still unknown.
Related, a thorough Transportation Master Plan that was technically started back in 2012 was well, nothing. There's not even a footnote or a "Terms of Reference. All of that for $200,000!! A Freedom of Information Request is certainly being considered by BFAST to get that information made public to see where that money has went and if there'd been a plan that had been made, but shelved, or anything that's started altogether.

To my surprise, there was supposed to be planned improvements done ot the 407 Carpool Lot at Dundas. Construction would've began in the fall, but it's been delayed. In terms of what improvements would've been made, like a terminal building, a much bigger, paved roadway with several cut out bus bays, that hasn't been determined. BT only knows that there was to have been construction there. That's all they know about this. 
I'd kill to have a new terminal building there or something that resembles something more like a proper transfer area...AND SAFER, TOO!!!

Unsure of any other planned bus purchases, form which manufacturer, any active tenders, etc coming for next year and beyond.

For the first time in Burlington's histiry,  Burlington Transit Christmas service is in operation! Even though it's the very crappy Holiday service, still better than nothing.

In saying that, there are 3 Vicinities in service  too. 

7028-17, 7065-18 ( both on 6/11), and 7067-18. (2/3,iirc).

(7067-18, being the Christmss bus, it makes sense for it to be in service today. (all sightings are courtesy of Transee).

Perhaps this may be the start of the Vicinities in service on weekends ir holidays.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 10:16 PM, 2822 said:

There were two Vicinities out today both on the 5. Also with all the Vicinities in service now how often do the arbocs go out on regular routes?

Maybe 3 weeks ago if I recall right that there was one in service. They seem to be spares. Unsure of their official status.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all.
Been having troubles in viewing the font for both the operational and capital budgets due to my sight. What I do know is that BT is going to be in good hands for the next several years.
Anyone with better eyeballs determine what the key details are in terms of how many buses and the other projects they also may be involved in?

https://www.burlington.ca/en/your-city/resources/Budget/2019-Budget/Proposed-Operating-Budget-Book-web.pdf
https://www.burlington.ca/en/your-city/resources/Budget/2019-Budget/Proposed-2019-Capital-Budget-and-2020-2028-Forecast-web.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

D40LFs 7033-06 and 7036-07 are both retired.

There are 7 Nova LFSs (4 replacements, 3 expansion, pending budget approval), would be due later this year. After talking with the Director of Transit last week, it is likely that they could replace the Arbocs.

BT are pleased with the performance of the 11 Grande West Vicinities in the fleet and see that with a very limited use or need for the Arbocs, it would be best to replace them.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Correcting a spelling mistake.
  • Thanks 2

More excellent news for Burlington Transit. Here's an overview of what was approved at the February 28th Committee of the Whole Meeting:

Changes coming for Burlington Transit Riders

As part of the city’s proposed 2019 operating budget discussion at Committee of the Whole on Feb. 28, Burlington City Council voted to approve a motion that would:

• Provide free transit for adults 65 years of age and older between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. on weekdays starting in June 2019 as a pilot
  • Provide free monthly passes on PRESTO for Burlington residents who qualify for the Subsidized Passes for Low Income Transit (SPLIT) program
  • Burlington Transit will work with Halton Region on ways to improve the Subsidized Passes for Low Income Transit program
  • Burlington Transit will work with school boards to develop a fare strategy for students
  • Burlington Transit will create a working group comprising of one Member of Council, members of the public and Burlington Transit Staff

The next step in the approval of these initiatives will be Council approval of the 2019 operating budget at a meeting of Burlington City Council on March 25, 2019. If the operating budget is approved, details of these new initiatives will be communicated to residents.