Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

Does A and B as well as X mean the same thing now?
Yep, the 2A/3A are 'extensions or deviations of their routes'. The 1X is an "extension or a deviation of its route". Wait, aren't the A supposed to be counter-clockwise like the 40A/B or 15A/B? I thought the X was.
I suppose what's going on is even though that this is just a reduction of 2 buses overall in total peak requirement for weekdays and 1 less bus for Saturdays, that perhaps Sue Connor is making the A more specific to a branch letter and not a clockwise/counter-clockwise situation. But, the 1X remains. 12X is gone, though. Opinions, thoughts, please?

Also part of these changes is NO REFERENCE to returning to the south end bus loop at Burlington GO Station. Is BT so complacent that they're willing to stay there until the end of the time and not notice that as of September 2nd, the GO Route 12 buses (and the overnight 18's/early morning 18's) will no longer be on the same side.
Are they being fed information on when they SHOULD go to the south end? Or, waiting until the new ticket areas and waiting areas are opened up for them to move down there? Whatever the reason and I want to get many of yous to contact your sources @ BT to see if they know for certain that they are going to the south end with those schedules, too.

As of last week @ Burlington GO Station.
I did see that the new ticket areas are no longer tarped off. They can actually be seen! In addition, more areas of waiting space have also had their tarps removed, too.  Looks like it will be opened once the GO Route 12 buses go to the south end loop.
@Jan Boic, or @drum118, can any of you confirm if Burlington Transit will be relocating all of their routes down to the south end bus loop?

From my source @ Burlington Transit, BT buses will remain at the north side of Burlington GO come September 3rd. Unsure of when they will go to the south side.
Although the reason wasn't given for remaining on the north side, I suspect that these changes/schedules were made well in advance prior to GO announcing the GO 12 buses would be serving the south end bus loop.

Edited by newflyerinvero
More information needed to be posted.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

GO Customer Service ticket sales are open. Fecning is down in that area. Unsure about the elevators.

Then the 2nd elevator should be in service since it was ready when the first one started. It was block off along with the rest of the area and since tickets sales is open, then the rest of the area is.

I assume the east entrance is also open since there wasn't much to be finish when I saw it over a month ago.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:49 PM, Silly Tilley said:

7027-17 was in service this morning on route 87. 

Then later appeared on Route 4 at about 5pm going westbound at Prospect & Guelph Line.

Not the smoothest ride as I'd think the roads of Burlington can make any new bus bumpy in a short order. Didn't have the new bus smell but it wasn't as if that the smell inside was foul of any sorts. Very good buses.

7026-17 was a 3A/2A today as well.

When the law is involved, it makes those in charge of funding decisions for Burlington Transit very...shocked.

And if that wasn't enough, BFAST wants an inquiry into transit's downfall.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Needed to include a linked article to important transit news.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:20 PM, drum118 said:

Then the 2nd elevator should be in service since it was ready when the first one started. It was block off along with the rest of the area and since tickets sales is open, then the rest of the area is.

I assume the east entrance is also open since there wasn't much to be finish when I saw it over a month ago.

Yes, the east tunnel is also open. Don't know when that opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a look at Burlington on Friday between the rain storms and not finish even thought its open.

The 2nd elevator still not working after all these months after the first one was open to the public.

Looks like horded up retail space in the corridor at the east end.

GO buses using the new south side next to the main entrances to the station. 

The old kiss and ride area close off to be rebuild.

Bus bays start at 4 to 14 with 4 & 5, 13 & 14 in the driveway.

I see 3 options for Burlington Transit starting with the next board change:

Option 1, as before construction

Option 2, buses stay where they are now

Option 3, move everything to the south side.

What every takes place riders will either spend more on buses getting to/from the station or waking to the 2 bus loops.

End up talking a few riders and they were not impress how long it taken to get it open as well the contractor. The same contractor did work on the new hospital and was not only late, they screw things up badly there as well.

On thing I noticed and seen it happen at other places, illegal drop off and pickup taking place in the new south loop. Need some big signs and flasher telling these fool driver you aren't allow to do this. A few cars started to make the turn and realize their error and either continue east or do a u-turn.

On 9/30/2017 at 1:24 AM, drum118 said:

Had a look at Burlington on Friday between the rain storms and not finish even thought its open.

The 2nd elevator still not working after all these months after the first one was open to the public.

Looks like horded up retail space in the corridor at the east end.

GO buses using the new south side next to the main entrances to the station. 

The old kiss and ride area close off to be rebuild.

Bus bays start at 4 to 14 with 4 & 5, 13 & 14 in the driveway.

I see 3 options for Burlington Transit starting with the next board change:

Option 1, as before construction

Option 2, buses stay where they are now

Option 3, move everything to the south side.

What every takes place riders will either spend more on buses getting to/from the station or waking to the 2 bus loops.

End up talking a few riders and they were not impress how long it taken to get it open as well the contractor. The same contractor did work on the new hospital and was not only late, they screw things up badly there as well.

On thing I noticed and seen it happen at other places, illegal drop off and pickup taking place in the new south loop. Need some big signs and flasher telling these fool driver you aren't allow to do this. A few cars started to make the turn and realize their error and either continue east or do a u-turn.

I think Option 3 is what would be happening. 

Burlington Transit had spent exhaustive efforts at making sure all services were at one location even though they were forced to do so with teh south bus loop construction. I don't see any reason why that mindset be changing. They've seen how seamless that it was for passengers to get from BT buses to the GO 12 buses and so on. Seems logical to me to shift them all to the south end. 

I did talk to a couple drivers several weeks ago and they felt that with everything moving to the south loop would mean that their scheduled arrivai and departure times would be staggered on many routes on the basis of the availability of those bus bays.

When's the next board period if anyone knows? If it's very soon, I would've heard or seen announcements of those services shifting to the south end with adjusted schedules on many or all routes.

On another topic, ever since that report of how Burlington Transit is in crisis to the point where safety and even part-time drivers essentially working like full-time drivers (which is breaking the law without a permit to which the City hadn't applied for), the feeling is that the move towards those Jarrett Walker route network concepts are being shelved, but for an unknown period of time. It is to my belief that BT themselves would be the ones who would be putting out their own, more realistic concepts that caters to what the passengers really want with the basis of more funding to make things all work. Unsure of what implementation dates, or public information centres, etc are to come. I would imagine that we'd hear much more within the next couple months especially with the budget about to ramp up and how much BT would want to fix things up as part as what I believe a much more reliable, convenient network.

Lastly, I did see 7028-17, which is the 4th Vicinity to be in revenue service sometime last week. Still haven't seen or heard of any other Vicinity's on property. No sign of any Blue Birds anywhere. 

Edited by newflyerinvero
Forgot to include a sighting from last week.

3 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

I think Option 3 is what would be happening. 

Burlington Transit had spent exhaustive efforts at making sure all services were at one location even though they were forced to do so with teh south bus loop construction. I don't see any reason why that mindset be changing. They've seen how seamless that it was for passengers to get from BT buses to the GO 12 buses and so on. Seems logical to me to shift them all to the south end. 

I did talk to a couple drivers several weeks ago and they felt that with everything moving to the south loop would mean that their scheduled arrivai and departure times would be staggered on many routes on the basis of the availability of those bus bays.

When's the next board period if anyone knows? If it's very soon, I would've heard or seen announcements of those services shifting to the south end with adjusted schedules on many or all routes.

On another topic, ever since that report of how Burlington Transit is in crisis to the point where safety and even part-time drivers essentially working like full-time drivers (which is breaking the law without a permit to which the City hadn't applied for), the feeling is that the move towards those Jarrett Walker route network concepts are being shelved, but for an unknown period of time. It is to my belief that BT themselves would be the ones who would be putting out their own, more realistic concepts that caters to what the passengers really want with the basis of more funding to make things all work. Unsure of what implementation dates, or public information centres, etc are to come. I would imagine that we'd hear much more within the next couple months especially with the budget about to ramp up and how much BT would want to fix things up as part as what I believe a much more reliable, convenient network.

Even when the buses where on the south side, service was stagger some what. I see maybe a route or 2 of all the routes been moved to the south being stagger because of headway.

The city has been shooting themselves in the foot as long as I have been using it by not funding it and being anti transit in the first place. I know when I did a presentation before council on a transit report a few years ago, they wanted to up load BT to the Region which make sense, but Region not willing to do so. Having an region system would replace the current 3 like York & Durham.

Jarrett Walker can at time come up with some bad ideas like others for making changes to a system, that some of his recommendations for Mississauga have disappear.

As long as Burlington continue burying their heads in the sand, they will get a nice slap in the face by the province that going to cost them more than it would today to make the changes. A few complain to the right ear will get the ball rolling. Again, as long they continue to build low density, not going to help transit, especially along transit corridors.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Brian451 wrote from "Burlington Transit thread 2":

I wanted to highlight that I had linked the report about the happenings on September 7th. Sounds as if that you may haven't seen any of this or recognized that this thread was in existence. 

But I'[ll do a favour to copy and paste your post into this thread and thus move on from there.

I was thinking of starting a new thread for Burlington transit (among others), because this year BT hired Sue Connor as director of transit, and there have been new schedule changes in September and many more things will be happening over the next several months because of things like this that were brought up by Transit at a recent council meeting, 

Among the revelations in the staff report:

• A significant number of Burlington Transit drivers worked above the maximum weekly number of hours allowed by provincial legislation without a permit. BT never applied for such a permit, even though some drivers had worked more than 60 hours per week.

• Two thirds of the time, BT’s mechanics work alone, without supervision. The system has had to cut back on preventive maintenance and has the lowest ratio of mechanics to vehicle miles of its peers. If a bus breaks down, there are no replacements available. Reliability has plummeted, and BT’s new Director and staff have used their own cars to rescue passengers stranded by breakdowns. Ridge called these “fundamental safety issues [that] have to be addressed.”

• Drivers who are classed as casual employees are working an average of more than 40 hours per week, with minimal benefits and compensation below the level of Halton’s living wage. Of these employees, the annual turnover is more than 50% because Burlington pays its transit operators less than neighbouring municipalities.

• The City provides no capital funding for transit. All capital funding, which buys replacement buses, among other things, has come from federal and provincial grants and special programs.

• Ridership has declined by 16.5% as service has become less frequent and less reliable.

source for that news is here http://www.burlingtongazette.ca/shape-of-citys-transit-service-gets-mauled-at-city-council-meeting-several-council-members-say-they-knew-nothing-about-it/

Word coming from the city is that they will be modifying routes and schedules of routes as they move the buses to the South side of the Burlington GO in the new year. They are also looking into eliminating the casuals and creating a spareboard. They are also going to eliminate 2 routes and expand 1 route. The 101 express to Hamilton and the 21 that operates from Appleby to Burlington GO are soon to be eliminated. The route 1 will be running more often and from Appleby all the way to Hamilton. The route 5 may also not run between the Downtown terminal and Burlington GO. But on the west end of the city they may extend it to Aldershot to replace the route 1. The route 1 will actually have streetside stops on Fairview at Burlington GO and will also not run along Cumberland and prospect. It will stay on Fairview all the way. 

Word is that routes like the 12 and 25 will run every 30 minutes instead of hourly and the 300, 301 and 302 are possibly going to be cancelled and the resources will be moving to other routes. 

Edited by newflyerinvero
More information needed to be posted.

Um....the 101 is the most popular route in the whole network. Cutting it would be a colossal mistake. Then again, it is Burlington we're talking about here. Seriously, who hires these people? 

It's also their own fault that ridership is down by constantly forcing restructuring down the riders' throats without consulting them first. 

Again, cutting the most popular route would be the final nail in the coffin. It make no sense at all to eliminate the 101 as that is used more often than the (often infrequent) 1X from Hamilton. It's a massive step backwards. 

8 hours ago, Chris W said:

Um....the 101 is the most popular route in the whole network. Cutting it would be a colossal mistake. Then again, it is Burlington we're talking about here. Seriously, who hires these people? 

It's also their own fault that ridership is down by constantly forcing restructuring down the riders' throats without consulting them first. 

Again, cutting the most popular route would be the final nail in the coffin. It make no sense at all to eliminate the 101 as that is used more often than the (often infrequent) 1X from Hamilton. It's a massive step backwards. 

It makes no different who gets hire if council is not willing to fund transit in the first place as well support it. Not sure if Sue was Brampton GM and if she was, she from Mississauga Transit who has more smarts than her boss when she left.

Who every is running the system has a budget to work with and therefore they have to put the resources to where it will do the most good, even cutting service or routes to do so.

101 maybe popular, but what is the ridership numbers for it and the local route?? If you got 2 routes duplicating each other where one is express and the other is local, which route do you think should get cut to maintain service on it?? At the same time, how much is the system paying more to carry each rider since the fare doesn't cover the real cost in the first place?

From my experiencing dealing with council, they only look after the car folks and support low density that doesn't support transit in the first place.

80% of operating cost is pure labour and that leaves very little room to cut other things. Once you start cutting labour, you keep on killing the system where less riders will use it and they will go out and get a car.

On 10/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, Chris W said:

While I agree that the 101 is a popular route, it's drastically more effective at rush hour then during based midday service. Operationally speaking, it is hamstrung by the 1X as in Hamilton, they interline. 

Many passengers and drivers who I've spoken to mentioned that they'd be much more happier with a straight-line Route 1 across the whole city even if it means not deviating to Aldershot GO. They all feel that the speed to/from Hamilton is very close to the same without the Aldershot GO deviation. 

The key is the frequencies. During base periods outside of peaks, the 101 and 1X use 5 buses. 1X = 3; 101 = 2. During peaks, the 1X is its own route as well as the 101, operating individually without interlining anywhere. 

1X uses 3 buses whereas the 101 at peaks uses 5 buses. So, 8 buses. Take the 101's buses at base period and rush hour,  in total, 5 buses and place them on the 1, meaning if the 1X's amount of buses from end-to-end, it's 8 buses used at 15 minute all-day frequencies. (Doubt if weekends would be improving through).

The other two buses, if they're going to be added to the 12 and 25 to make them at every half hour on weekdays would have eto be taken away from somewhere. The 5, if it wouldn't be going to Burlington GO anymore and rather to be sent to Aldershot GO, it can go there either via Townscend/Waterdown or Plains. That'd mean the 5 would need 2 buses and if it was going to be interlined with the 4 Downtown like it used to, those two routes together would require 4 buses. The 4 in that case would have to be increased to every 30 minutes from 40 minutes without taking an additional bus. The 5's departure and arrival times at Burlington GO and downtown can often conflict with the 3 anywhere along the Brant Street corridor, often right behind the other which makes the whole service redundant and ineffective.

However, depending when these changes are made, I highly doubt that the budget for transit would be any different by the end of the year anyway. The "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" approach will still be in full effect. Thus, that's how it'll be done. For weekdays, essentially there'd only be an increase during midday base periods to have 2 buses added. But I think they will be added to the 12 and 25 at the expense of something else. But, even though in my opinion that it will make things much better, I know that by the time the budget is approved and "hopefully" more transit dollars are allocated from the current 80/20 allotment of Gas Tax (80% roads, 20% transit, effective from spring of 2012), at least 70/30 or even 60/40 would be more beneficial for transit. We'll see.

I know there is a concern about BT cutting the 101, but with the 1 and 101 running the same route (route 1 is going to stop going to Aldershot) the only difference is one bus serves all stops one doesn't. If they do cut the 101 and increase the frequency to the 1 most people won't see a difference. 

What Burlington needs to do is wipe the slate clean and start over. Every route needs to be changed and the frequencies need to be good enough so people will want to travel across the city easily. 

I am actually probably one of the few that thinks that Metrolinx should have full control of each transit system from Durham to Hamilton, Milton and even Guelph and GRT. Each one could still be funded by the region or municipality or city, but Metrolinx would have full control of scheduling and planning. And routes could be similar to what MiWay and Brampton do with the 185. Some buses are MiWay and some are Brampton. This way bus service could be fully interchangeable across the GTA and instead of stopping at a border or just inside a different city, the buses could operate longer distances. But in the meantime Burlington just needs to redo the entire bus system and make it more convenient for the entire city. 

On 10/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Brian451 said:

I know there is a concern about BT cutting the 101, but with the 1 and 101 running the same route (route 1 is going to stop going to Aldershot) the only difference is one bus serves all stops one doesn't. If they do cut the 101 and increase the frequency to the 1 most people won't see a difference. 

What Burlington needs to do is wipe the slate clean and start over. Every route needs to be changed and the frequencies need to be good enough so people will want to travel across the city easily. 

I am actually probably one of the few that thinks that Metrolinx should have full control of each transit system from Durham to Hamilton, Milton and even Guelph and GRT. Each one could still be funded by the region or municipality or city, but Metrolinx would have full control of scheduling and planning. And routes could be similar to what MiWay and Brampton do with the 185. Some buses are MiWay and some are Brampton. This way bus service could be fully interchangeable across the GTA and instead of stopping at a border or just inside a different city, the buses could operate longer distances. But in the meantime Burlington just needs to redo the entire bus system and make it more convenient for the entire city. 

I think I'll take a stab on how these routes should look after an overhaul. Some routes needs just a bit of a tweak while others need to be fully restructured.

Route 1/1A - Fairview/Plains:15 minute (maybe even 10) frequencies between Appleby GO to Hamilton. Plains/Fairview, with service along Prospect and Cumberland. 

Aldershot GO still has a ways to go for constant good amounts of people to warrant more service. Maybe a 1A situation can be considered, but not every bus to be sent to Aldershot. High frequencies 7 days a week, no exceptions!

Route 2 - Brant: Keeping the 2-Brant sign south of Burlington GO to Downtown. Interlining with the 3 - Guelph at both Downtown and 407 Carpool. Have 7-day service to 407 Carpool. Possibly peak period increases to every 15 minutes. 30 minutes on Holidays, too.

Route 3 - Guelph: Route 3 to end at Downtown with interlines at both the 407 Carpool and Downtown with the 2 - Brant. All service, 7 days a week to 407 Carpool. Possible peak period service to every 15 minutes. 30 minutes on holidays, too.

The only change is it may be a bit better to have it serve Guelph Line north of Upper Middle to Dundas to 407 Carpool. The current service along Cavendish from Upper Middle would be part of a new route. I've felt that there's not as much demand on Cavendish on the 3 compared to the 2, based on my observations.

Route 4  - Central: Increasing to 30 minute frequencies from 40 as 40 is ridiculous. Makes people who come off of the GO train in the afternoons/evenings more predictable and reliable departure times instead of basically being penalized for no reason. Saturday service returning to 30 minutes from every hour. Interline with Route 5 Downtown. 

Holiday service, no? Route to be extended to Hampton Heath (from Pinedale & New Street), to Lakeshore, Burloak, Rebecca, Bronte and Wyecroft to Bronte GO. 

Westbound to Appleby GO and Downtown would use reverse routing. The only issue I see in this proposal is the lack of east-west service along New Street between Appleby Line & Burloak Drive. However, if it wouldn't go to Bronte GO, while on Burloak, either go on Spruce to Hampton Heath to New/Wedgewood and Pinedale to Appleby Line and Appleby GO, or from Buroaok to New Street to Wedgewood to Appleby Line and Appleby Go.

Route 5 - Francis/Aldershot: No longer to serve Burlington GO. Interlines with Route 4 at Downtown. Route to serve Aldershot GO either via Plains or Townscend and Waterdown Road. 

Sunday service 're'-introduced and possibly holidays, too.

Route 6 - Headon: Return to old routing of Upper Middle/Guelph Line/Pine Meadow. It's stupid to run buses along Headon Forest with NO stops due to dumb parents of transit-first kids who want to take transit to not stop in front of their freaking houses! This 'old to new' routing would then provide the link at Guelph Line between the 3 and 6 which is a huge help for M.M Robinson students and serves much better with the two strip malls.

Route 7 - Palmer/Industrial: This route will be another excellent feeder route that also would provide service to either under-utilized areas and new areas, too. Buses would travel between Burlington & Appleby GO Stations.

From Appleby Go: Fairview, Walkers, Palmer, Guelph, Mountainside, Industrial, North Service, Brant, Fairview, Burlington GO.

To Appleby GO, routing in reverse. Freuqnecies would be every 30 minutes on weekdays and possibly hourly weekend/holiday service. 

Route 10 - New/Maple: Increase frequencies to 15 minutes on weekdays and every 20 minutes on weekends. The only question I have is if there should be a 10A to serve New east of Appleby to say, Bronte GO via Bronte Road & Wyecroft? 30 minutes during holidays.

Route 11 - Sutton/Appleby: Route to begin and end its north end routing at Appleby Line & Harrison Court close to Burlington North SmartCentres (Walmart). Interline with 'new/old' Route 15 - Walkers.

An 11A branch to serve Mainway and Corporate Drive to replace part of the 83 - North Service.

Weekend frequencies to every 30 minutes. Possible peak period increase to every 15 minutes.

Route to possibly extend south along Appleby to Lakeshore/Hampton Heath/Spruce/Burloak/Lakeshore/White Pine/Spruce/Appleby.

Any other way to route it down there in that area?

Route 12 - Upper Middle: Current base route at every 30 minutes, 7 days a week. I also contend that the ridership, which is very similar based on my own observations, is the same as like the 2, 3, 10 and the 11 to warrant possible peak period increase to every 15 minutes. However, hte best improvement that can be made is 7-day service of 30 minute frequencies.

Route 13 - Mountain Grove/Cavendish: NEW! This route could serve Mountain Grove from Guelph, back to Upper Middle, Cavendish and turning around at Autumn Hill & Driftwood. Or, would it be better to have it serve 407 Carpool AS WELL AS  Autumn Hill & Driftwood heading back south to Burlington GO? Possible 13A to serve Autumn Hill/Driftwood on every other trip or for that part to be part of the main route.

Frequencies at every hour then every 30 minutes during peak periods. Mountain Grove would be given direct transit service to both Burlington GO and 407 Carpool. In fact, they would receive transit service for the first time ever as far as I know.

Route 15A/B - Walkers DISCONTINUED: This peak period bi-directional route will have its service area by an improved Route 15 with 7 day service instead of peak period service.

Route 15 - Walkers: NEW service, old routing: The route to where it actually began in (2004/05 I think?). Anyhow, a route that was still used pretty well. Connects with the 1/21 to a safer and shorter transfer at Fairview heading south to Appleby GO. Northbound trips interline to become 11's. Northbound 15's can be accessed at Appleby GO and from eastbound passengers from Route 1's who would need the 15 with a safe transfer at the opposite side of Fairview (as long as they use the actual traffic signal/crosswalks). 

Frequencies at every 30 minutes 7 days a week and hourly holiday service. Great connections to 407 Carpool and Appleby GO and still links Thomas Alton between Walkers & Appleby. 

Route 20 - BURLOAK/LAKESHORE DISCONTINUED. This route would have its service area taken over by the redesigned 4, 10/10A and 11 in between Appleby Line, Burloak Drive, Hampton Heath & Lakeshore Road.

Route 21 - FAIRVIEW DISCONTINUED: This route would have its service area replaced by the new 1 (or 1A) between Burlington GO and Appleby GO Stations.

Route 22 - North Crosstown/Oakville: NEW! This route will compliment the 12 - Upper Middle with a north crosstown link between northwest Burlington and Rio Can Centre or even to as far as Bronte GO Station. Its base frequency would be every 30 minutes and therefore, it would combine frequencies with the 12 west of Appleby Line to every 15 minutes on weekdays and weekends. Holiday service to every hour would be acceptable I do believe, too. 

Route 25 - WALKERS DISCONTINUED: This route would have its service area replaced by the new 15 between the 407 Carpool to Fairview Street.

Route 40 - Pinedale/Hampton Heath: DISCONTINUED: This route will have its service area replaced by Routes 4, 10/10A? and 11.

Routes 50/51/52 Late Night Service Routes: MODIFIED: In my opinion, while it is a benefit for a fixed route during the last night hours, perhaps some modifications and/or departures from Appleby GO and/or other regular routes would see extended hours for more consistent, reliable service. Would either the Oakville Late Night Service be a good model to use, or something different?

Route 80 - Harvester/Corporate: This route I think can be better utilized if it was to take over the service area of the 83 on Burloak, North Service & Mainway at Appleby Line. This may in my mind create a situation for this route to have Saturday service offered at every hour AND to even look at the possibility of increase peak service between Corporate Drive and Burlington GO to every 15 minutes. It's evident that the Harvester Road corridor can be quite busy at peak period time. Having a streamlined route can be quite beneficial for those riders to make GO connections, Oakville Transit connections and other connections to other BT routes.

An 80A branch should also serve South Service Road. Granted, there are many South Service Roads. Perhaps this branch would still use Harvester as it's main road, but to operate on the South Service Roads which would offer 'finally' convenient transit service to many of those employers whom have been demanding good transit service in those areas. I suppose that if the regular 80 would be a 15-minute peak route with base service of every 30 minutes, perhaps the 80A can operate between Appleby and Burlington GO Stations to the South Service Roads areas. That may be close to a midday 15-minute frequency along the corridor and close by it.

Route 81 - North Service: I can see this route serve North Service Road immediately west of Appleby Line, go along Heritage Road. Would stay on North Service, through Walkers all the way to Guelph Line, Queensway, Brant to Burlington GO south side. Ridership has been a struggle to consider for midday service, so presently I think hourly service would suffice to at least give employees and employers more flexibility in those areas for some valuable service in those areas.

Route 81 and 83 - North Service DISCONTINUED: These two routes would be replaced by enhanced services on the new Routes 11/11A and 80.

Route 82 - Hamilton/Aldershot/Tyandaga: NEW! Unsure what route name to use, but that could do.

This route will be replacing the current 87 - North Service/Aldershot. It will create a more streamlined, one-seat ride that would be much more convenient for those whom not only commute from Hamilton to Burlington along the North Service Road West corridor, but also for those who reverse commute to Hamilton in the morning from Tyandaga Park Drive/Kerns Road areas. This route would have a base service of every hour with half-hour peak period service. Seeing as work schedules are no longer the traditional 9am/5pm, this route possibly could also be a weekend route, too. Burlington GO, Tyandaga Park Drive, Kerns, North Service, Aldershot GO, Waterdown Road, Plains, Hamilton. Then reverse to Burlington/Burlington GO.. 

This route was in planning stages in 2012, but never came to fruition.

I also feel that it allows for those people along North Service and Tyandaga/Kerns areas to not transfer to the 1, to which even in my plans to have a 1A or the 5 to be at Aldershot GO, the timed transfer might not always be timely. It could mean a faster commute to/from Hamilton from Tyandaga/Kerns areas rather then the 1/1A setup.

Route 101 - Fairview/Plains Express: New extension: I think this route still has merit to still be in operation. Understanding that the first phase of those Public Transit Infrastructure Funds (PTIF) came into effect this year, one of those projects those dollars went to was the study into a BRT corridor along Fairview and Plains. Knowing that for the time being, a solid Route 1 (or 1A to Aldershot GO) can be a good start, the 101 can be just as good if it ran the same route, but maybe not as high a frequency as the local 1. This new 101 can still operate between Appleby GO and Hamilton with even fewer stops. Maybe take at least a couple stops away from west of Burlington GO and west of Waterdown Road. Maybe every 30 minutes. I'd suppose that this way it can be more determined whether or not the type of demand is more express or local. Perhaps would be best to have those two services around to have a better idea to see what can be done.

But of course, nothing can be done unless there's substantially more funding and sustainable, consistent funding for that to happen.

Okay, ideas, complaints and/or comments. What's YOUR Burlington Transit?

Edited by newflyerinvero
Other ideas to support my original post.

• 1 month later...

51 Leslie posted in "Today's Sightings on Friday, December 7th:
"Burlington 7028-06 on the 15 this morning."

This means that 7028 IS NOT retired and therefore, makes that therea re two 7028's in service. 
7028-06 (Blue Bird Ultra LF)
7028-17 (Grande West Vicinity)
*There are 4 Blue Birds at the veyr back of the garage. Odds are those are 7027, 7029, 7030 and either 7031 or 7032-06

Lastly, still no reports of other Vicinitys on property or in service. I know the Wiki editors and many of us have felt that there's supposed to be 7 Vicinity's this year, but am starting to question that. There are 3 Vicinity's from that PTIF announcement back in March with 4 (or 7?) for next year already. Or, would those other 3 from this year be held over to next year, making it 10, or maybe 13 Vicinity's overall? I"m getting very confused here, but only speaking from previous announcements or information I've heard to date. Anyone else heard or know differently? Just want to get this all straightened out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am becoming concerned that Burlington Transit won't have any changes come the New Year. If there were, something would've been posted by now and nowhere is there anything to that effect. I"ll also guess that if the Community Buses services's hours are reallocated, perhaps they can be put into weekend frequency boosts for routes like the 11, 12 and 25 and maybe the 4 to half-hour headways. I mean, the (new) 1 would be given the service hours and frequency boosts from the elimination of the 101/21. I'd be curious to see if there's a bigger frequency boost on weekends with the 1 to something better than 30 minutes? Would there be other service hour-reallocation that may happen? The 10 perhaps from 20 to 30 minutes?
I"d also be just as interested to see if Route 10 would still continue to serve Plains Road west of Brant in both directions to access the new south end of Burlington GO via Brant. The 25 if it'd still be on Queensway/Plains to the south end, or the 6 from Queensway/Plains and how the 80/81 would be coming down.
Anyone here, through their sources know of the details of this new service in the new year? Schedules, new routings?
Lastly, any other word on those other Vicinity's and how many for when?