Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

Nothing has come up so far, but they are in discuss for new buses this year.

It was last month where I had received information from the maintainence supervisor. He noted that the tender will be issued in a couple of months...which means probably April or May.

And yes, new buses have been ordered since last year, this year and every year until 2015.

• Root Admin

It was last month where I had received information from the maintainence supervisor. He noted that the tender will be issued in a couple of months...which means probably April or May.

And yes, new buses have been ordered since last year, this year and every year until 2015.

Should be 7 new buses this year.... 5 for replacement, 2 for expansion, from what it looks like...

Should be 7 new buses this year.... 5 for replacement, 2 for expansion, from what it looks like...

That's correct, Jan. 7. Question is what kind of buses it'll be. From some drivers I've spoken to, they like the D40LF's. They went on to say that it's too bad that they only have 3 of them as they'd rather want more. The tender should be sometime next month or April for those buses.

When I had asked the maintanence supervisor last week in case if they're in need of any used buses, he rsponsed back to me saying that "At the moment, we're not looking at purchasing used buses."

Now, considering their shortage (probably not as bad but short, nevertheless), it wouldn't surprise me if they tender for a couple of used buses seperately along with the new bus order. We'll just have to wait and see.

I guess I might as well mention here that Orion V 7061-90, which had suffered that mishap back in November or December of last year with Oakvlile's 9906 at Hopedale Mall, it's still in the shop being workeed on. Haven't seen that bus in quite some time. The driver-side wrap had been removed from 61 and placed on 77-94 though.

67-91 has its driver-side wrap removed as I rode it yesterday and the "My Wheels" Super-side wraps on 3 of the Inveros 20-03, 22-03 and 23-03, along with D40LF 35-06 were all removed last week.

• 3 weeks later...

Burlington Transit will be recieving 5 2007 D40LF's late this year, more likely November/December.

As far as what buses will be retiring this year, I can only declare that, for sure, GM Fishbowl 7026-78, the oldest active bus in Burlington's fleet, will be retiring after close to 30 years in service. As far as others, I'm not to sure.

Since that 5 2007 D40LF's will be on the docket for service expected in the new year, this actually is interesting, considering that in the 2006-2015 Transit Service Review's Assest Management Plan, it calls for 7 buses purchased for 2007, including 2 for expansion. Seems as if things have changed with their purchase. But, we'll see.

I don't know if you heard this Nick C. Today I was with someone who keeps track of Burlington Transit, apperantly he told me from reading the budget info that new mayor have scrapped all the Transit plans, eg. the new terminal, garage expansion, etc. It seems that new major doesn't give a jack about supporting transit!

I don't know if you heard this Nick C. Today I was with someone who keeps track of Burlington Transit, apperantly he told me from reading the budget info that new mayor have scrapped all the Transit plans, eg. the new terminal, garage expansion, etc. It seems that new major doesn't give a jack about supporting transit!

New Major???????????? :angry:

He might as well be a major at the way he basically has taken the entire Transit Service Review, its plans, it's budgets for the 10-year period and everything down the drain.

Sherman, whom were you with? I'm wondering how close he is with Burlington Transit. Maybe he might know some things about what may happen in September.

However....in my own healthy outrage, I would like many of you from this board to give support on the issue of keeping transit a priority, not just in Burlington but in every city. Do so by replying to this post by giving comments here.

Also, commisshric@hotmail.com is my e-mail address and is in use for MSN Messenger. I'm willing to take this to another level here. With the amount of support that I could generate here, I would like to put together a letter into the Burlington Post, asking regular riders, commuters and any other deomgraphic who takes transit in this city to complain to the new major's..........er, mayor's decision to swipe the money supposing to have been put aside for the 2007 changes away.

Please...help me out here. I'm extremely reliant on public transit in this city to get around to place to place, for whatever I have to do. I like to see improvements.

Thanks so much guys in advance. I would greatly appreciate the support.

He might as well be a major at the way he basically has taken the entire Transit Service Review, its plans, it's budgets for the 10-year period and everything down the drain.

Sherman, whom were you with? I'm wondering how close he is with Burlington Transit. Maybe he might know some things about what may happen in September.

However....in my own healthy outrage, I would like many of you from this board to give support on the issue of keeping transit a priority, not just in Burlington but in every city. Do so by replying to this post by giving comments here.

Also, commisshric@hotmail.com is my e-mail address and is in use for MSN Messenger. I'm willing to take this to another level here. With the amount of support that I could generate here, I would like to put together a letter into the Burlington Post, asking regular riders, commuters and any other deomgraphic who takes transit in this city to complain to the new major's..........er, mayor's decision to swipe the money supposing to have been put aside for the 2007 changes away.

Please...help me out here. I'm extremely reliant on public transit in this city to get around to place to place, for whatever I have to do. I like to see improvements.

Thanks so much guys in advance. I would greatly appreciate the support.

You might want to check at the budget approval next month. Don't know if that guy's telling me the truth or not. Even though, Burlington Transit garage have been talks to expand their garage.

Here's the report:

http://cms.burlington.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=5305

You might want to check at the budget approval next month. Don't know if that guy's telling me the truth or not. Even though, Burlington Transit garage have been talks to expand their garage.

Here's the report:

http://cms.burlington.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=5305

In fact Sherman...I had read that document online a couple of days ago. I had noticed that the construction has been cancelled for the garage's expansion.

I did receive notification from the supervisor back on Thursday that the buses will be 4 for replacement and one expansion bus. All of this, pending pudget approval. Once that happens, the Open House for service changes will be put together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From Burlington Transit:

A Public Information Centre will be held at Burlington's Central Libary at the Centenial Room. From 6 to 9pm, public is welcome to discuss and provide input on proposed service changes will be effective September 4th, 2007.

Additionally, Clean Air Day means Free Burlington Transit service throughout the entire service day. From the first bus in service in the early morning to the very last bus to go out of service late in the evening will be free of charge to everyone.

I won't be able to attend the Open House....however, if anyone else somehow finds some information or would be in attendance, post the stuff here.

• 2 months later...

I had gotten this information from the Supervisor of Operations. She had mentioned that there'd be up to 6 New Flyers by the end of September. I do believe she meant 5....but wasn't the arrival date supposed to have been closer to December? I guess New Flyer has really remped up production of the D40LF's for hte Joint System purchase as well as other systems recently.

Additionally, Burlingotn has signed a letter of intent to exercise its option of the contract from the big joint purchase for 2008. Again, all pending the budget approval.

The City Council didn't approve Holiday service or any additional Sunday service. I was really thinking that they'd do the opposite. Burlington in my mind is definitely ready to go in that direction based on experience.

With the New Flyers coming in, it's now time to have people's opinions on which buses will be dying this year. It'll be 4 for replacements, just to let everyone know.

My picks would have to be the 26-78, 11 and 13-83 and 69-91.

I had gotten this information from the Supervisor of Operations. She had mentioned that there'd be up to 6 New Flyers by the end of September. I do believe she meant 5....but wasn't the arrival date supposed to have been closer to December? I guess New Flyer has really remped up production of the D40LF's for hte Joint System purchase as well as other systems recently.

Additionally, Burlingotn has signed a letter of intent to exercise its option of the contract from the big joint purchase for 2008. Again, all pending the budget approval.

The City Council didn't approve Holiday service or any additional Sunday service. I was really thinking that they'd do the opposite. Burlington in my mind is definitely ready to go in that direction based on experience.

With the New Flyers coming in, it's now time to have people's opinions on which buses will be dying this year. It'll be 4 for replacements, just to let everyone know.

My picks would have to be the 26-78, 11 and 13-83 and 69-91.

Kill all the Newlooks, then go for Classics since all the Vs have A/C!

Let's hope they don't intend on killing an Invero first over the Vs!

So, you finally to manage to ride one?

If you meant the Invero, then yeah. I had to take the 10 all the way to Burlington GO Stn just to take the 2 back down to catch HSR 11 since the 2 had them that day. The 10 had 2 D40LFs which made me happy since that leaves only 1 D40LF left for route 1.

The during rush hour, I waited for the BT 1 for several buses before I got another Invero; took it all the way to GO Appleby Stn too!

Gotta say, they're as loud (or maybe even louder) than TTC's ISL 2006 VIIs or D40LF with ISC/ISL.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing what kind of service changes were happening yesterday, it seemed as if that Burlington Transit has gotten things right with the 1 adn 10, allowing especially the 1 to adhere much better against heavy traffic flow. However, I have seen some old/new flaws.

The Route 12 AGAIN is being disrespected, :blink: only given 29 minutes for one way, departing both Wal Mart to the north and Burlington GO to the south. Again, the CNR railway crossing @ Upper Middle doesn't help matters at all. Out of the entire fleet, my count was 43 buses out of 51 and they couldn't put on another bus on this route? Shame!!! :rolleyes:

However, a driver friend of mine did mention that he had received information from BT higher-ups that they're trying REALLY HARD to get it to run on time, regardless of the CNR crossing. Apparently, they're in contact wtih officials from the city to set up the lights along Upper Middle as well as Brant Street to assist with adherance to the tight schedule.

To me, it came as a surprise as they have yet to admit that it's a terrible schedule and it's only a ban-daid solution. Using Transit Priority Measures for the 12 would at least be put on the back burner and for the time-being and until then, put on that 3rd bus and keep the 1/2 hour schedule....ya, my idea. Just too bad that they're not smart enough to realize it. :angry:

The TPM's should at least be put along Plains and Fairview specifically outside of GO Stations and all of the major intersections (Appleby, Walkers, Guelph Line, entrance/exit to Burlington GO, Fairview @ Brant, Maple.

Now, the Route 1 I had found yesterday was much improved. As mentioned previously, its schedule was vastly improved especially between Appleby and Burlington GO Stations. Now 18 minutes are given. I guess the only problem is that the drivers would become a little bit too relaxed and arrive late at certain areas? I haven't seen that too much. But one thing which needs to be straightened out is that the Route 1 would leave about 2 minutes ahead of the other bueses, which during rush-hours, isn't enough time at all.

The 10 is also much better off seeing as it doesn't have to interline with the 1 at Appleby GO. That route is made such that not every connection would be made everywhere, with the weekday mid-day schedule being most prominant.

The Route 6 is starting to become unreliable as the Route 12 as far as schedule adherance goes. Quite a few times yesterday, it had difficulty in getting to the Burlington GO Station. Half the time it won't connect with other routes.

What I'm proposing is to have both routes, 6 and 12, interline at Wal-Mart or Dundas Carpool Loop and at the Burlington GO Station, with routings of the 6/12 and the 12/6. Both routings will consist 3 buses each, with at least 1 bus being lowfloor (Blue Bird). Half hour schedules would still be maintained with at least 10-15 minutes layover times at both north and south end terminus points. That way, there will be prime connections, with the 12 to be given the proper time to finally go down to the south end of the Burlington GO to maximize transfering between other buses.

At the north end, the Route 6, whether it'd become the 12 @ the Dundas Carpool Loop or Wal-Mart, would head east along Burton to Dundas Street on its way to Wal-Mart.

Somehow also having the 11 and 15 only use 3 buses, but with its schedule re-adjusted to make sure that at least one of the routes are there to meet with either the 1 or the 10.

Additionally, since it now has evening service in meeting GO Trains, have both the 11 and 15, no matter when they arrive at Appleby GO, wait until the bottom of the hour (ie: 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30) for the late homebound GO Trains from Toronto.

With those suggestions out there, is there anyone else on this board with better connections with BT's management about doing these suggestions earlier then next year if all of the connection issues aren't resolved? I'd also like all of your opinions on all of this. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I was talking to a driver-friend of mine just yesterday whie on the 12. He had given me some incredible insight for why Burlington Transit is so far behind the times as far as improving services. I'll provide this in point form:

- City Council believes that transit in this city is considered 'not a neccessity' even when it's growing

- The changes which were done this year both to some routes and schedules were 'garbage' changes. Yet, they were done as they were neccessary. Biggest neccessary change was splitting the 1 and the 10. As far as their scheduling, people are complaining but again, it was a neccessary change for future growth.

- Burlington would be getting their Flyers for December. My driver-friend even said that when speaking to the maintaience supervisor who placed the order, he said that the buses would be SHIPPED in October and not DELIEVERED in October. In other words, they say October when they really mean December. And it'll be 6 buses with 2 older buses being replaced ( :o When did this change? 4 expansion buses?) Probably not the case. Plus I think the retired buses would be 26-78 as well as the Orion I, 42-81.

- The schedule: As far as that goes, there was at one time a group of drivers who for a number of months back in 2005, wanted to put the schedule together, seeing as they would have the best ideas in knowing when a bus should be at a certain timepoint. After this was done, the management team gave it to City Council who had to approve the changes. They came back to the management team as well as the drivers and told them that a schedule "had already been put in place". So after that effort, it was as if that the Council ignored it.

This even goes out to the Consultation which came in to the Transit Service Review back late 2005. No matter what kind of groups get together to put plans together, City Council quashes them and doesn't allow Burlington Transit to do what they want.

So I feel that no matter what happens, it seems as if that the management team knows what service to put in place with better service, where to put routes and how many buses to buy, etc. Problem is, as long as the City owns this system, their hands will be tied. :blink:

In one way, when I first felt that it was only Burlington Transit which were the idiots here. But it looks like that's not the case anymore.

7042-81 was at Tokmakjian in Vaughan this afternoon.

Well that at least explains where that Orion I has been for the last while. Thanks, Orion VIII.

From a service overview, one thing I like about the Route 10 is that overall, their overall connections with the Route 14-Lakeshore West from Oakville Transit is much better, except on Sundays. Overall, seeing as BT's overall priorities is to connect to other BT routes at certain times, there was always bound to have problems with connecting to Oakville Transit's 14 at Lakeside Plaza.

But of course, if I didn't mention this before, I'll say it now. Why, or why is the Route 10's schedule set up as such that the 15-minute schedule ends abruptly at 7:15pm @ Burlington GO and becomes hourly thereafter (8:15, 9:15, 10:15 departures thereafter). They had the right idea from going from 15 to 30 to 60 in an appropiate amount of time like 2 hours of that kind of frequency. That would help steady overall ridership. Having a drastic drop-off like that makes no sense. :)

Even the Route 1 even if its 15-minute service lasts until about 9pm. Although, some of the westbound trips which go OOS in Downtown Hamilton should at least stay in service and head back to Burlington, perhaps going to Burlington GO and ending there.