Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

I noticed the serene and normal sounding shift pattern on 7067-91 when I went "mall fanning" on Friday night. For those waiting for a BT story, here's what happened.

I took HSR 0704 (D40LF) To University Plaza where I transfered to the 10 B-Line. The bus I rode on the B-Line was 0610 (DE60LFR Artic) which i took to MacNab. I transfered again to the 1 East on 7067-91 (Orion) to Appleby GO. I rode 7047-82 on the 13 Rebecca-New East route to Hopedale Mall. BTW, It has a Zellers, Sobey's and a Tim Horton's. That's about it. I was supposed to do Christmas "Idea Shopping" but I got distracted, so I jotted down my top ten favourite buses in BT's fleet in my notepad. Guess what was number 1, I dare you. I saw OT 893 on the 31 and 897 on the 16 West (D40), 903 on the 16 East (Orion) and 5101 which had SPECIAL on the sign, but as I was to later learn, it was on the 32 (Bluebird/ElDorado, you just can't tell them apart). I then went home on 7047-82. It's radio died and the right side windshield wiper would NOT work. He took me as far as Appleby and Fairview. I then got on the 1 West, which by the way was 7035-06 (try to guess which New Flyer it was). I came back to Downtown Hamilton and the B-Line to University Plaza was waiting for my presence. In case you're keeping score it was 0611 (Artic). I soon went home in about 10-15 minutes. It was a good day/night.

Thanks for reading

Chris

I noticed the serene and normal sounding shift pattern on 7067-91 when I went "mall fanning" on Friday night. For those waiting for a BT story, here's what happened.

I took HSR 0704 (D40LF) To University Plaza where I transfered to the 10 B-Line. The bus I rode on the B-Line was 0610 (DE60LFR Artic) which i took to MacNab. I transfered again to the 1 East on 7067-91 (Orion) to Appleby GO. I rode 7047-82 on the 13 Rebecca-New East route to Hopedale Mall. BTW, It has a Zellers, Sobey's and a Tim Horton's. That's about it. I was supposed to do Christmas "Idea Shopping" but I got distracted, so I jotted down my top ten favourite buses in BT's fleet in my notepad. Guess what was number 1, I dare you. I saw OT 893 on the 31 and 897 on the 16 West (D40), 903 on the 16 East (Orion) and 5101 which had SPECIAL on the sign, but as I was to later learn, it was on the 32 (Bluebird/ElDorado, you just can't tell them apart). I then went home on 7047-82. It's radio died and the right side windshield wiper would NOT work. He took me as far as Appleby and Fairview. I then got on the 1 West, which by the way was 7035-06 (try to guess which New Flyer it was). I came back to Downtown Hamilton and the B-Line to University Plaza was waiting for my presence. In case you're keeping score it was 0611 (Artic). I soon went home in about 10-15 minutes. It was a good day/night.

Thanks for reading

Chris

Sounds like you had some fun.

This is my story but HSR edition, I will also post in HSR.

I went from work, walked downtown, rode 0718 (D40LF) on 25 Upper Wentworth, then went to Lime Ridge mall for like 10 minutes because it was 5:10 and they close at 5 today. Then I got on 0501 on the 41 Mohawk N/Eastbound to Cannon and Kenilworth. Then went to my GF's for a bit, then waited for the 3 Cannon at 8:30, (it was supposed to be there at 8:36 but it was 8:45 and I was like WTF, why isn't it here yet? Them I'm like .. OHHH YEAH.. Its Sunday.. So I walked over to the 2 Barton and got on 0806 and travelled on it to downtown, where I just recently got onto 0411 on the 24 Upper Sherman, where I ended up getting where I am now, about 20 minutes ago! :)

I overheard someone talking about Burlington Transit having some sort of accident. The girl said the door, and front windshield was smashed. Any confirmation on this Nick?

I haven't heard nor seen anything about this. I hadn't been out very much the last two weeks as I've been under the weather. The only time I was out was mainly last Friday (not this past Friday, but one before that), when I went to London to busfan in the rain. :) I was out on...Tuesday, I believe or sometime later in the week. Nevertheless, I didn't see V's 7063-90 or 7069-91. I wouldn't say if it's either one of those V's which got hammered, but it may be another one entirely. I'm sure I'll be back out this week and see buses more normal so that I'll track that myself.

Hi, Me again. I'm telling another fanning story. Hope you're ready. I rode HSR 0509 (D40LF) to University Plaza where i caught 0611 (Artic). I took it to MacNab and caught the 1 East, which was 7037-07 (D40LF). I took it to B-Go where I catch the 8 Harvester. It was 7067-91 (Orion V), which I think likes me. I then took the 11 Appleby North to Wal-Mart Plaza. 7045-08 was running on the 11/15 when i was on it. Later, after grabbing lunch from McDonalds, I caught 7055-87 (Classic) on the 15 South to Appleby GO. I caught the 10 New-East which was using 7044-08. I took it to Lakeside Village, where I caught Oakville Transit 4103 (Orion VII) to Oakville GO. I saw OT 952 (1995 D40LF) at Hopedale. I transfered to the 27 White Oaks to Oakville Place riding 893 (D40!!!), where I tried some more shopping to no avail, I might add. I then got on 5104 (D40LF) to the GO station where I went on 9913 (Orion VI) on route 29. After having one last go at shopping, I left Wal-Mart having not found what I was looking for. On my way to the stop, I see 895 on route 19, It passes me and i wait for the next bus, 2108 (Orion VI). I absent-mindedly take the 15 Bridge which was 8103 (brand new D40LFR!!) thinking that it was faster than the 14. It wasn't. I got to Hopedale where I transfered to BT 7016-83 (Classic), on the 13 Rebecca-New. I wound up on 7077-94 (Orion V) on the 1 West where I headed back to Hamilton and rode 0601 (DE41LF), on the 5C West Hamilton to McMaster. That is where this lengthy shopping trip reaches it's conclusion. I hope you like it.

Chris

Hi, Me again. I'm telling another fanning story. Hope you're ready. I rode HSR 0509 (D40LF) to University Plaza where i caught 0611 (Artic). I took it to MacNab and caught the 1 East, which was 7037-07 (D40LF). I took it to B-Go where I catch the 8 Harvester. It was 7067-91 (Orion V), which I think likes me. I then took the 11 Appleby North to Wal-Mart Plaza. 7045-08 was running on the 11/15 when i was on it. Later, after grabbing lunch from McDonalds, I caught 7055-87 (Classic) on the 15 South to Appleby GO. I caught the 10 New-East which was using 7044-08. I took it to Lakeside Village, where I caught Oakville Transit 4103 (Orion VII) to Oakville GO. I saw OT 952 (1995 D40LF) at Hopedale. I transfered to the 27 White Oaks to Oakville Place riding 893 (D40!!!), where I tried some more shopping to no avail, I might add. I then got on 5104 (D40LF) to the GO station where I went on 9913 (Orion VI) on route 29. After having one last go at shopping, I left Wal-Mart having not found what I was looking for. On my way to the stop, I see 895 on route 19, It passes me and i wait for the next bus, 2108 (Orion VI). I absent-mindedly take the 15 Bridge which was 8103 (brand new D40LFR!!) thinking that it was faster than the 14. It wasn't. I got to Hopedale where I transfered to BT 7016-83 (Classic), on the 13 Rebecca-New. I wound up on 7077-94 (Orion V) on the 1 West where I headed back to Hamilton and rode 0601 (DE41LF), on the 5C West Hamilton to McMaster. That is where this lengthy shopping trip reaches it's conclusion. I hope you like it.

Chris

Pretty nice, but it fits in the "General Transit Sightings" thread perfectly.. Just that small note to help you next time you post something like this.

2108? Um, the 2001 VI's are from 2101-2104. You may have come across 9908, unless if the rear door was centred, then it's a 2001.

Chris

Sounds like you use the excuse "Shopping" for a fanning trip. :) It looks like you had fun. My story is short and simple today. Rode 0708 to downtown on I believe 24 Upper Sherman, then went to school. After school I rode 0402 on the 5A to my work, and after work my mom made me take a cab home!

Sounds like you use the excuse "Shopping" for a fanning trip. :lol: It looks like you had fun. My story is short and simple today. Rode 0708 to downtown on I believe 24 Upper Sherman, then went to school. After school I rode 0402 on the 5A to my work, and after work my mom made me take a cab home!

Another General Transit Sightings classic! :) Hey, not meaning to nitpick, but that thread is perfect for those kinds of things.

7062-90 is repainted and back in service.

Were you able to determine whether the livery was all straight or was it curved at the back, like all of the new-liveried buses in the fleet? Glad to hear that 7062-90's back.

For anyone who either are regular BT riders or whom are going to be around the area after December 1st,

The cash fare would be at $2.75. As far as other options, I don't have that information in front of me at this time. Once I do obtain that, I'll be sure to post it here.

Were you able to determine whether the livery was all straight or was it curved at the back, like all of the new-liveried buses in the fleet? Glad to hear that 7062-90's back.

For anyone who either are regular BT riders or whom are going to be around the area after December 1st,

The cash fare would be at $2.75. As far as other options, I don't have that information in front of me at this time. Once I do obtain that, I'll be sure to post it here.

Yes, the livery was curved at the back. Looks just like 7061-90.

I have a document from a delegation who was in attendance at the C&CS meeting (Comittee & Corporate Services) when the approval of the service changes was made official. BTW, fare increases will happen in JANUARY, coinciding with the changes.

A very interesting read and it's something that BTAC will be discussing this week. To be specific, the delegate goes into details about the Route 10 along Spruce Ave, just east of Appleby Line and seeing many buses, being empty.

Before thoughts of pollitical action gets out of control (ala that anti-transit woman that DRT had to deal with), it wasn't the case. Rather, specific statistics on ridership boardings, number of buses, seats being used, etc. Really good read.

To end, I'll say that as long as Burlington's known as the 3rd best place to live in Canada and the best in the GTA, that's worth it!

To end, I'll say that as long as Burlington's known as the 3rd best place to live in Canada and the best in the GTA, that's worth it!

Well, it's nice and quiet yet it's a boring city!

I'm also been hearing that BT have approval to hire 7 more regular full time.

Notes from yesterday's BTAC meeting:

1) The Alton Inter-Regional Bus Terminal will be built at the location where the 407 GO Bus Loop at Dondas Street. The original two plans were for at Appleby Line, north of the 407 and at the northeast corner of Appleby and Dundas. This would better serve other routes which would serve the new terminal, including Routes 2 and 3. This would actually be built before 5 years (which I consider surprising, seeing as I haven't really seen any construction along Dundas for the BRT project.

2) Service was to be considered for the new McMaster DeGroote School Of Business on North Service, between Walkers and Appleby Lines. Due to the layout as well as the roadway plans, there wouldn't be any bus loop. BT will look over the plans and would work with the planners about building a pedestrian walkway to get out to Harvester, considering that it's in the industrial area where there isn't any sidewalks at all from Harvester to North Service as is.

3) Next steps for Automatic Stop Annoucements: The funds will be available in the 2010 budget, meaning that disucssion and pending approval would be made known as of next year at this time.

Funny thing that a driver who'll be joining the committee next year said that as he was calling out stops, the people on the bus, which was jam-packed, told him to stop doing that. :) Wow. In the age where transit is going to be more transit-friendly, including calling out stops, I think that many passengers are used to not having them called out at all. Personally, that would have to change. At this time, the management will be talking to drivers soon to give them reminders for calling out stops on request and mainly for the main stops at major intersections. In the meantime, a proper strategy to calling them out which would favour both passengers and drivers alike will be an ongoing work-in-progress.

4) New website design for BT coming in 2009, according to the new supervisor, Mike Spicer. He stated that it would be very close to designs of current systems, allowing for users and non-users to provide comments, positive or negative more easily, providing better information of service delays, detours, advisories, etc. He said that it will be 'interesting' to say the least for BT in 2009.

5) The delegation who was present at the recent C&CS meeing at the end of October was in attendance yesterday. Stated how the Route 10 is being under-utilized in the Spruce/Hampton Heath/Lakeside PLaza portion.

It was brought forth from the director of Transit & Traffic that BT was considering splitting the 10 by operating on New Street between both Burlington and Appleby GO's and having a seperate route to do the lower-ridership portion of the current Route 10. Many complaints were coming in stating that to not change that route as mainly, "the system has been changed enough." (from many complaints). So, BT had to stay the course with the 15-minute peak service. It was found that during peak hours, the 10 buses were close to full.

1) The Alton Inter-Regional Bus Terminal will be built at the location where the 407 GO Bus Loop at Dondas Street. The original two plans were for at Appleby Line, north of the 407 and at the northeast corner of Appleby and Dundas. This would better serve other routes which would serve the new terminal, including Routes 2 and 3. This would actually be built before 5 years (which I consider surprising, seeing as I haven't really seen any construction along Dundas for the BRT project.

Very interesting, so this is new construction for the new BRT for Burlington? For one, I had no clue BT was getting BRT. So maybe some artics?

Very interesting, so this is new construction for the new BRT for Burlington? For one, I had no clue BT was getting BRT. So maybe some artics?

Well, this would be GO's to be sure as one of their projects is the Dundas Street BRT. The final RTP is on Metrolinx's website and indicates that instead of having it go all the way to Waterdown, it'd terminate at Brant. One theory was to have it operate north/south on Brant to Burlington Go Station, redeveloping it as a mobilty hub as well as the downtown bus terminal, too. Brant would ultimately become a bus way (although the prospect from Metrolinx was that it'd be a busway between B-GO and downtown.

One thought that I had and still have, is how this'd affect the Route 2- Brant. Whether or not the ridership would be lost solely to GO's BRT and away from the 2. If those passengers choose the BRT, they may treat it as a local service. If it's an express service, stopping at say, UPper Middle before going to the revamped 407 loop (new terminal), maybe not.

In any event, things are loooking up for BT in this category.

Well, this would be GO's to be sure as one of their projects is the Dundas Street BRT. The final RTP is on Metrolinx's website and indicates that instead of having it go all the way to Waterdown, it'd terminate at Brant. One theory was to have it operate north/south on Brant to Burlington Go Station, redeveloping it as a mobilty hub as well as the downtown bus terminal, too. Brant would ultimately become a bus way (although the prospect from Metrolinx was that it'd be a busway between B-GO and downtown.

One thought that I had and still have, is how this'd affect the Route 2- Brant. Whether or not the ridership would be lost solely to GO's BRT and away from the 2. If those passengers choose the BRT, they may treat it as a local service. If it's an express service, stopping at say, UPper Middle before going to the revamped 407 loop (new terminal), maybe not.

In any event, things are loooking up for BT in this category.

Over in the Mississauga Transit thread, apparently MT will be running Pre-Rapid Transit (essentially a form of BRT) from Islington to Trafalgar Rd./Oakville Uptown along Dundas some time next year. Oakville planned the Uptown Terminal with the service in mind. The question now is will this BRT service continue on from Oakville to Burlington to this new Alton Terminal? Plus, who will offer the service, GO, BT or OT?

Notes from yesterday's BTAC meeting:

2) Service was to be considered for the new McMaster DeGroote School Of Business on North Service, between Walkers and Appleby Lines. Due to the layout as well as the roadway plans, there wouldn't be any bus loop. BT will look over the plans and would work with the planners about building a pedestrian walkway to get out to Harvester, considering that it's in the industrial area where there isn't any sidewalks at all from Harvester to North Service as is.

3) Next steps for Automatic Stop Annoucements: The funds will be available in the 2010 budget, meaning that disucssion and pending approval would be made known as of next year at this time.

Funny thing that a driver who'll be joining the committee next year said that as he was calling out stops, the people on the bus, which was jam-packed, told him to stop doing that. :P Wow. In the age where transit is going to be more transit-friendly, including calling out stops, I think that many passengers are used to not having them called out at all. Personally, that would have to change. At this time, the management will be talking to drivers soon to give them reminders for calling out stops on request and mainly for the main stops at major intersections. In the meantime, a proper strategy to calling them out which would favour both passengers and drivers alike will be an ongoing work-in-progress.

4) New website design for BT coming in 2009, according to the new supervisor, Mike Spicer. He stated that it would be very close to designs of current systems, allowing for users and non-users to provide comments, positive or negative more easily, providing better information of service delays, detours, advisories, etc. He said that it will be 'interesting' to say the least for BT in 2009.

5) The delegation who was present at the recent C&CS meeing at the end of October was in attendance yesterday. Stated how the Route 10 is being under-utilized in the Spruce/Hampton Heath/Lakeside PLaza portion.

It was brought forth from the director of Transit & Traffic that BT was considering splitting the 10 by operating on New Street between both Burlington and Appleby GO's and having a seperate route to do the lower-ridership portion of the current Route 10. Many complaints were coming in stating that to not change that route as mainly, "the system has been changed enough." (from many complaints). So, BT had to stay the course with the 15-minute peak service. It was found that during peak hours, the 10 buses were close to full.

Hi NFI

just a couple of points here...

3.) I'm sSO done with people whining about stop calling, I'm not surprised though, this IS Burlington, they seem to complain about anything that will enhance transit, this city has got to be one of the worst for accepting change for the better when it comes to transit.... ( not intending to insult you NFI)

4.) The BT website needs improvement, badly, it lacks any sort of encouragement to actually take BT, even though BT does do a pretty good job at getting people somewhere..((Yeah Nick, I'm STILL bitter over the cancelation of the 13! :) ))

5.) The 10 has always had a good number of people on it when I've been on it, which lately has been a lot... Why would you want to confuse people even more by dividing up the route? it's already annoying trying to get from Lakeside to Appleby to get the 1 and viceversa, why make it worse??

Over in the Mississauga Transit thread, apparently MT will be running Pre-Rapid Transit (essentially a form of BRT) from Islington to Trafalgar Rd./Oakville Uptown along Dundas some time next year. Oakville planned the Uptown Terminal with the service in mind. The question now is will this BRT service continue on from Oakville to Burlington to this new Alton Terminal? Plus, who will offer the service, GO, BT or OT?

I think it should be 2 different services run by the local Transit agenices, sort of like the 77 in YRT/Brampton... and the I-Xpress in GRT land...

Not sure if something like that would be placed in the interim prior to the introduction to GO's Dundas Service, which now sees the terminous points at Kipling Subway and Burlington GO Station.

That is a good idea though, continuing the line to about the Alton Terminal and Uptown. Frequencies and the number of buses required could be interesting. One-way would be about 10 minutes or so, based on speed on Hwy. 5 (Dundas).

Hi NFI

just a couple of points here...

3.) I'm sSO done with people whining about stop calling, I'm not surprised though, this IS Burlington, they seem to complain about anything that will enhance transit, this city has got to be one of the worst for accepting change for the better when it comes to transit.... ( not intending to insult you NFI)

4.) The BT website needs improvement, badly, it lacks any sort of encouragement to actually take BT, even though BT does do a pretty good job at getting people somewhere..((Yeah Nick, I'm STILL bitter over the cancelation of the 13! <_< ))

5.) The 10 has always had a good number of people on it when I've been on it, which lately has been a lot... Why would you want to confuse people even more by dividing up the route? it's already annoying trying to get from Lakeside to Appleby to get the 1 and viceversa, why make it worse??

I think it should be 2 different services run by the local Transit agenices, sort of like the 77 in YRT/Brampton... and the I-Xpress in GRT land...

On all of those issues. I recall the driver whom was in attendance, his name is Bob Pennell, one of my driver-friends in fact. He actually has been employing the "Now approaching such-an-such stop". That's been much better overall. Mind you, not sure if that one example I provied earlier abou tthe packed bus with the non-receptive people putting an end to that. Well, they'll have to suck it up. :lol:

Yes. Introducing something that's more transit-friendly can make the people whom are even non-users think about it more. As Mike Spicer said, the appearnce of the website can gather interest in transit. The current presentation in a way is a deturant from taking BT.

I was basing the 10 back to an earlier plan during the 2006/2015 Transit Service Review when that was available. It was something that I had really liked based on ridership at all ends of the route. Granted I've been on the 10 more so I've got a better idea on how ridership's been going. The Spruce area has been well, lower then the main New Street corridor. But I do agree. Keeping the routes farmilar to the current riders, as well as to get the attention of new riders that they know that after an ex number of years, it will still be the same. That's a way that they'll get the riders on board. Now, about the schedule... :lol:

Lastly, as I may have mentioned earlier, putting in a local version of the Dundas route would work out well, to introduce teh service to passengers. This would give a solid ridership base to give Go a better chance to thrive with. Realistically, at this point, 2 buses can be used at a half-hour frequency, one BT and one OT bus, both accessible, too.

When this Dundas BRT's set up, I wonder how it'd set up? I mean, if it were to be local, would there be stop shelters at the side of the (oh wait, forgot about the bus lanes :lol: ). Well then, I've answred my own question. Maybe this could have two types of service, or 3, actually.

1) Go Dundas (Kipling Subway, South Common?, Uptown Core/Trafalgar in Oakville, Alton Terminal, Burlington GO, Downtown Burlington

2) MT 101 Islington Subway, South Common, Uptown Core/Trafalgar

3) BT/OT Route # (submit number here) Uptown Core, Alton Terminal, local or express?

Out of the entire matter....when Donna Clegg explained that this project was going to be started before 5 years, it tells me something that this Dundas Street service is getting moved forward faster then earlier projected.

If BT were to operate to Uptown Oakville, I presume they would allow transfers between MT and BT. Seeing as they are not adjoining agencies, there may be a bit of a problem. The OT 9 to the HSR 11 at the Downtown Burlington terminal has a similar problem (which I don't know if it has been resolved). Mississauga Transit and YRT currently have this problem at Humber College between the MT 22 and the YRT 7.

I found this article in The Burlington Post this morning. Very interesting read.

===========================================================================

Will fare hike reduce ridership?

25-cent increase ‘unfairly targets’ working poor, seniors: poverty advocate

By Jason Misner, Burlington Post Staff

News

Dec 07, 2008

Large Medium Small Print This Article Tell a friend A hike in bus fares is coming, just a little later than had been proposed.

In a bid to raise more money, city council recently ratified a series of changes to Burlington Transit that will see the cash fare for a single ride rise from $2.50 to $2.75. The hike will commence Sunday, Jan. 4, almost a month later than an originally- proposed Dec. 1 start date.

The new fare will be higher than Hamilton, at $2.40, but on par with Mississauga’s transit system. The approval also calls for the fare to rise again to $3 in 2010.

One local anti-poverty group argues there shouldn’t even be a fare increase because it will hurt too many in the city struggling to make ends meet who use transit to get around.

Doug Brown of the Make Poverty History, Halton chapter told the Post a 25-cent fare hike “unfairly targets” the working poor and seniors. He’s also worried about the city’s plan for service reduction, including dropping some bus lines.

According to the organization Brown represents, the poverty rate in Burlington is eight per cent. He believes higher transit fares is regressive.

“I think it’s a step backward,” Brown said. “It will be an extra burden on them whether they can get around town. (The fare increase) will reduce ridership.

“It costs a lot to live here.”

Council ratified a series of strategies — borne out of a consultant’s detailed review of the municipality’s transit system — to increase revenue streams while reducing operating costs and offering better, more relevant routes.

The city expects to collect an extra $320,000 in 2009 with its new year fare hike in January.

The city believes that maintaining an effective transit system is a key way to reduce air pollution and a better way to move people around more efficiently and quickly — and cheaper.

Senior staff have acknowledged repeatedly in the past the city’s love affair with vehicles and the challenges that brings to the community.

However, consecutive fare hikes next year and in 2010 put the city in rare company. Only York Region charges $3 a ride to its transit users currently.

In addition to the increased bus fares, some of the other proposed changes include eliminating Route 7-Tyandaga due to low ridership (20 people per day)—-a net savings of more than $73,000; eliminating the last weekday trip on Route 8-Harvester/North Service due to low ridership -a net savings of more than $8,000; and adding a new Route 16-Burloak on weekends, operating from Appleby GO Station to RioCan Centre — at a cost of almost $18,000.

Some of the key findings from a consultant’s review included that local transit’s ridership level is more than 10 passengers per capita while the average for other systems is more than 24. (Those with higher ridership numbers offered higher service levels).

Also, the local revenue-to-cost ratio — the difference between operating costs and revenue generated from fares/advertising — in 2006 was 38.3 per cent compared to an average of 45 per cent in other nearby communities. That means the majority of the operating costs of the system are being paid by city taxpayers.

Staff is predicting that revenue-to-cost ratio will drop even lower to 33 per cent by the end of this year.

While Brown acknowledges some people don’t want any tax money spent on bussing, municipalities must view transit systems as an investment. He said Tokyo, for example, turns a profit on its transit system “because everybody is using it.”

“A full bus actually makes money,” he said, acknowledging the investments the province wants to make in transit through its Greater Toronto Metrolinx work.

Brian Coleman, chair of the Burlington Transit Advisory Committee, asked council to reconsider charging the strip of bus tickets for Handi-Van users with physical disabilities — priced at $27.50 — the same $23 amount for regular strip of tickets.

While the province has set a target of 2010 to mandate fare parity for all transit systems, Coleman is hoping Burlington can implement changes sooner “to be a leader.”

Jason Misner can be reached at jmisner@burlingtonpost.com .

===========================================================================

Now, seeing how Hamilton's City Council has had the fare hike rejected due to the low-income demographic simply not being able to afford it, Burlington is in the same boat as the population of what they describe as "Seniors and The Working Poor."

In any event, I've been on the fence on this issue as I would understand how an increase of even a quarter can further strap a person who has a limited budget. But, in Burlington's defense from Council and management (even us at BTAC, too), the way to improve service is to get more revenues to do so. In my opinion, there's only so high that it can go until those who really rely on it just stop taking it altogether.

Now, seeing how Hamilton's City Council has had the fare hike rejected due to the low-income demographic simply not being able to afford it, Burlington is in the same boat as the population of what they describe as "Seniors and The Working Poor."

In any event, I've been on the fence on this issue as I would understand how an increase of even a quarter can further strap a person who has a limited budget. But, in Burlington's defense from Council and management (even us at BTAC, too), the way to improve service is to get more revenues to do so. In my opinion, there's only so high that it can go until those who really rely on it just stop taking it altogether.

If they plan to raise cash fares will the tickets go up as well? If they keep the ticket price the same then it would appear that they are trying to force more people towards purchasing tickets. The tickets themselves are cheaper as they are bought in bulk. The argument though for the working poor is that for those who cannot afford to buy the tickets it will be a bigger expense out of their own pocket. Are there any agencies can can distribute or help subsidize tickets for the poor in Burlington?

• 2 weeks later...
If they plan to raise cash fares will the tickets go up as well? If they keep the ticket price the same then it would appear that they are trying to force more people towards purchasing tickets. The tickets themselves are cheaper as they are bought in bulk. The argument though for the working poor is that for those who cannot afford to buy the tickets it will be a bigger expense out of their own pocket. Are there any agencies can can distribute or help subsidize tickets for the poor in Burlington?

Gil,

I've found the appropiate details of the fare increases. Note that the background has D40LF 7035-06.

Comlete fare increase details

Sometime within the last couple of weeks, 2 of the 1983 GM Classics, 7015-83 and 7016-83 were retired. I had gotten confirmation of that from Rick Baltzer as of this morning.

Regarding the Joint Procurement, the current numbers that BT is considering to purchase would be between 6 to 10 buses for the upcoming year of 2009 and between 4-6 buses in 2010.