Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

A ocuple of schedule updates for the 1 and 10, which after seeing the website page was last updated December 5th. Must've been added just on Wednesday.

The weekday morning 6:05AM 1-East trip that originally starts in downtown Hamilton (rush-hour HF trip, btw) will now start at the Burlington GO Station, leaving at 5:40AM.

The Route 10 has three trips added:

The trip that would usually go OUT OF SERVICE at the Burlington GO at 7:44pm will stay IN SERVICE and leave there at 7:45pm, arriving at the Appleby GO station at 8:32pm. It will then leave at 8:42pm from Appleby GO and will arrive at Burlington GO Station at 9:29pm, going OUT OF SERVICE at that time.

I had a stop by the Burlington Transit garage to take a look at what's around at the back to be specific. To my surprise, the Orion I (7042-81) has returned from Tomkmakjian. It was parked at the back with possibly Classic 7013-83 which has an A/C unit on its roof.

The fishbowls were not found back there, not even 26-78, which had retired about 3 or so weeks ago. My guess is that it was towed away for scrap. As far 47-82, it had to be in the facility itself to be kept warm seeing as if it's going to be used, it'd have to be warm to start up.

Accompanying the Classic and Orion I back there were two V's....either 61, 62 or 68.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone update me on further retirements? The supervisor hadn't responded to my e-mails in regards to that subject.

Thus far, I was updated on both 11-83 and 42-81 being at Tomakjian recently with some engine work, making me think that they will remain with BT at least a year longer, especially 42.

47-82 being out on the 62 last Friday tells me that it will still be around for awhile, probably until the 2008's arrive.

If there's a clue right now, I'll guess at 4 buses which I hadn't seen in quite awhile. I also know that there are supposed to be 3 other retirements, based on the numbers which I was given about a few months ago. 4 replacements and 1 expansion.

Classics 7004-85 and 7005-85 as well as Orion V's 7061-90 & 7079-94.

For each of those V's, I don't know what happened to them or what not.

• 3 weeks later...

How difficult can it be when BT doesn't have enough resources to use an additional bus on the 12 when the following number of buses on a common weekday are used?

MORNING PEAK:

1: 8 buses

2/3: 4 buses

3/2: 4 buses

4: 2 buses

5: 1 bus

6: 2 buses

7: 1 bus

8: 3 buses

10: 7 buses

11/15 2 buses

12: 2 buses

13: 1 bus

15/11: 2 buses

Go Special 61: 1 bus

Go Special 62: 2 buses

School Specials: 3 buses

Total: 43 buses

MID-DAY: (Weekdays & Saturdays)

1: 4 buses

2/3: 2 buses

3/2: 2 buses

8: 1 bus (8 doesn't operate on Saturdays)

10: 3 buses

11/15: 2 buses

Total buses used: 25 buses for mid-day service, 24 on Saturdays

PM PEAK PERIOD:

1: 8 buses

2/3: 4 buses

3/2: 4 buses

7: 1 bus

8: 3 buses

10: 7 buses

11/15: 2 buses

13: 1 bus

Go Special 61: 2 buses

Go Special 62: 3 buses

School Specials: 3 buses

Total buses used: 47 buses

Sundays:

1: 2 buses

2/3: 1 bus

3/2: 1 bus

6: 1 bus

10: 2 buses

12: 1 bus

Total buses used: 8 buses

Fleet as of right now: between 53-56 (depending if other retirements have taken place to either Classic 7007-85, Orion I 7042-81 and Orion V 7061-90.

Does this make sense that not enough resources are available? Of course, some of these School Specials after finishing their runs would become rush-hour add ons for routes 1, 2, 3 or 10, so that number might be lowered by about 1 to 3 buses, bringing the number anywhere from 46 to 44 buses in total use. I'm asking any of you who know more about delpoyment of equipment vs. the amount of buses which have to be kept as spares? I might not really be that up-to-speed on what's active and what's not. But even if BT's AWARE of a desperate need for an additional bus on the 12, well quite frankly, it sucks. If a bus is there and is active, it should be used. Saturdays shouldn't be an excuse nor Sundays as there's plenty of buses at their disposal to use.

On another note, the board period between drivers have shortened, meaning that schedule/route improvements will be changing in a more timely manner, according to the Operations' Manager, Jennifer Wrobel. Let's hope that much better scheduling can be done this time around. Maybe that computer they use can smarten up, too. :P Attachments

Edited by Nick C

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but yesterday in Burlington I spotted a 2007 new mobility bus made by gmc with an Overland body.

Forgot to write down the fleet number but it was xxxx-07, the 07 part caught my eye then I looked at the front grill and noticed the GMC logo.

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but yesterday in Burlington I spotted a 2007 new mobility bus made by gmc with an Overland body.

Forgot to write down the fleet number but it was xxxx-07, the 07 part caught my eye then I looked at the front grill and noticed the GMC logo.

I've seen it, they've received it sometimes summer of last year.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm...=news_local.cfm

New Burlington bus passes launched

Jan, 21 2008 - 7:00 AM

BURLINGTON (AM900 CHML) - Burlington Transit is launching its new GO monthly, weekly and daily passes today.

They will enable transit users who use Burlington buses to link with one of the city's three GO stations.

The new monthly pass is 20 dollars.

The weekly pass is 22 dollars for adults and $16.50 for seniors and students.

The day pass is 6 dollars for adults and $4.80 for seniors and students

Can anyone explain what that means? Unlimited GO Train use in every direction, or just between stations in burlington?

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: News about the Burlington Transit Advisroy Committee was given to me a couple of days ago through the City's website. Burlington Transit Advisory Committee

Now of course I've e-mailed my interest to the person in charge of this. Additionally, I would eventually know whether or not City Council's really be supportive of public transit as a whole. I've been skeptical for a long while. Hopefully this is a change.

Note: It documents that there are currently 52 buses in the fleet. I'd rather double-check that. Anywhere between that and 56.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some notes to pass along from the Burlington Transit Advisory Committee meeting which took place on Tuesday:

- a unamimous vote (pardon the spelling) for asking the Council to recremended the funds for Holiday service, excluding Christmas. It was determined that Christmas is more based on individual beliefs, which made it too difficult to put into effect. If this is taken care of at the budget meeting which I forget when it'll be determined, that will be in effect as of September 2008.

- re-routing for the new Corpass Christie of the School Special which goes to Notre Dame H.S. via the Millcroft neighbourhood. Students who currently attend that school whom are from that neighbourhood will be going to Corpass Christie as of September. Currently, Burlington Transit is looking over this.

- Service to Alton Community, north of Dundas Street & South of Hwy. 407:

This was voted on without any problems. The interesting part was that the Alton Interegional Transit Terminal was originally going to be constructed just south of the 407 interchange on Appleby Line, just north of the First Pro Power Centre, where the Wal-Mart is. This terminal was to be the area for the new Burlington location of the 407 GO BRT. The land hasn't as of yet been purchased by contractors but it's close to being purchased by the city. The committee has wanted the city not to purchase it for other reasons as that was their initial plan to advise Council to put that terminal in that location. Deadlines for funds and a purchaser was close (perhaps by next month). More details will be available at next month's meeting. The terminal itself may have a new location as the land adjacent to the 407 Carpool Loop on Dundas Street and the 407 is under the process of its land being considered for transit friendly land. IMO, I would certainly think that a re-design of the entire loop would be a good thing, allowing GO and BT to have much better connections and more importantly, more pedestrian-friendly and more space. The loop can get congested at peak periods with more GO buses using the loop when the other BT routes are going in and out at the same time.

Another interesting point was that prior to this new terminal idea which was originally drafted and designed back in 2005, a GO Dundas street service was being considered. It's as of now under the eye of Metrolinx, which would lessen the financial impact of Burlington Transit. Draft plans had this route travel to as far west as Waterdown all the way to Mississauga (maybe the subway, but with use of the Transitway I would believe). This was merely discussed but nothing concrete was put on the table.

- Burlington Transit, City Of Burlington and the Hamilton/Burlington YMCA's Amazing Race 2008.

All three agencies will once again join forces for an Amazing Race. IMO, if thsi had taken place back last year, there crealy was no effort made into making it known that it was happening.

- BT's ridership on the rise!

I have with me a copy in front of me of a draft article detailing Burlington Transit's rise in ridership. It doesn't, however have the overall percentages as far as how much of a percentage that it went up. I'll try my best to find that article so that I can get it out here.

That's it for now. That was my first meeting as a member of the public attending. The people in charage of this meeting was surprised at the little representation of the public at attending this. There is still a need for a frequent rider who may be needed as a furture Advisory Committee member. Overall, the people whom were present, even a senior driver whom I recognized but I didn't get the name were happy that I had attended and had encouraged me to attend next months' proceedings.

Unfortuntely, the members of the public who would be attending these meetings would be from Burlington. If any of you were interested, sorry. :rolleyes:

Ok, here is the draft article of BT's ridership being on the rise. Unfortunetely, it's not available online, so I'll be typing this out. As far as the specific numbers, I'll try my best to present them. This article is to be published in the March spring 2008 edition of CITY TALK in the "Getting Around" section.

===========================================================================

BURLINGTON TRANSIT'S RIDERSHIP IS ON THE RISE!!!

Ridership statistics from the last half of 2007 indicate an overall 8% increase in revenue passengers compared to the same time period of 2006. Overall, transit ridership had increased 2.5% in 2007 with the month of November indicating highest revenue boardings per month in the last 5 years 165,788 revenue passengers!

This is great news for Burlington Transit and our environment!

Why?

Well, there are a number of factors that factor that affect transit ridership and of course, any increase in transit ridership means that there should be a decrease in the number of cars on City streets and thus a positive influence on the environment. Not to mention, less cars on City streets amounts to less congestion, too!

One of the positive impacts can quite possibly be attributed to the marketing being put forth by BT to educate to target various audiences of the benefits and the ease of taking transit can represent in their daily lives. For example, BT's award-winning, "Beyond Tomorrow" offers students in our community and their educatprs of the benefit of a first-hand learning experience taking them out of the classroom and into the community. Beyond Tomorrow is a Full curriculum based program designed to assist Geography teachers in grades 7 through 9. It also gets students onto the bus for the experience and incorporates the learnings about the benefits of transit within the community.

Another example of BT's outreach into the community is a recent effort to put us in front of the local seniors. This targeted "Travel Training" program was presented at various seniors' residences throughout the City. The program is a simple, direct and targeted approach focusing on how BT can meet their individual transportation needs.

Our GO Fare Integration Program assists those passengers who rely on the services of GO Train and encourages to take regular service or one of BT's GO special communter routes to and from GO rail stations for only $0.50 per ride! Services were enhanced in September 2007 with the expansion of the GO rail into the Aldershot community. Further improvements to GO commuter specials were made in January of this year based on customer feedback.

The potential impact of targeted marketing is also seen in the change in ridership by fare category. In 2007 as compared to 2006, seniors ridership increased from 8.7% to 12% of total ridership; students increased from 15.8% to 18.2% and GO passengers increased from 15.2% to 18.5%.

If you have any information or feedback for BT's consideration, we welcome your input through ourcustomer mailbox, or directly to the Burlington Transit Advisory Committee c/oDeborah Caughlin, Manager of Customer Services.

For more information, please call our BusLINE 905-635-0550 or check out the City's website under Burlington Transit.

*2006 National Transit Recognition Award (from the Canadian Transit Asscoation under the category of Corporate Innovation).

*2006 Halton District School Board Award of Distinction (in recognition of the partnership between Burlington Transit and the HDSB).

Very detailed. Fortunetely, these sheets that I had jotted the information from didn't have the charts. It would've cluttered this post very much. :)

I'm happy that transit's ridership has risen in all demographics and target audieneces. Makes me wonder that the need for further improvements may also mean in getting extra buses beyond the corsortium.

Comment away!

New Fareboxes are being installed over teh weekend. This has prompted a notice on the website of an accessible bus notice. So tomorrow for instance, I'm sure there'll be TONS of highfloors!

In other news, the Student Freedom Pass can be used during March Break between March 10th and 14th for unlimited transit.

New Fareboxes are being installed over teh weekend. This has prompted a notice on the website of an accessible bus notice. So tomorrow for instance, I'm sure there'll be TONS of highfloors!

In other news, the Student Freedom Pass can be used during March Break between March 10th and 14th for unlimited transit.

WHAT!? Dang, I can't belive they are replacing into one unit of same farebox like HSR! Now it's one hell of a boring GFI farebox to look at, which is not for everyone!

The same thing for Oakville as well on Student Freedom pass.

BT and HSR will share the same farebox now?

Quite interesting.

I'm assuming the same tickets will be used, along with transfers, so it can be read by the same machine.. One prob with the "speed pass" is it will end up being quite expensive, does anybody know if there are going to be deals. like swipe your pass and it takes off $1.70 or something like that? I really hope they make something with unlimited rides.

How about Presto? Seems to me as if that having the same type of farebox would at least be used to read "one fare card".

If you get a chance to board Mississauga EZ-Rider Max, the Presto is totally separate with the GFI.

http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm...=news_local.cfm

New Burlington bus passes launched

Jan, 21 2008 - 7:00 AM

BURLINGTON (AM900 CHML) - Burlington Transit is launching its new GO monthly, weekly and daily passes today.

They will enable transit users who use Burlington buses to link with one of the city's three GO stations.

The new monthly pass is 20 dollars.

The weekly pass is 22 dollars for adults and $16.50 for seniors and students.

The day pass is 6 dollars for adults and $4.80 for seniors and students

Can anyone explain what that means? Unlimited GO Train use in every direction, or just between stations in burlington?

If you buy these passes, I know the GO integrated pass that is 20$ does NOT have the cost or signature line on it. If your looking for the tax credit, you have to hold onto the pass and the receipt to get the credit!!

Just something SMALL they forgot to put on those passes....¿¡?!

I had seen this on Burlington's website:

Burlington to Receive $1.1 Million for Local Transit from Province

For Immediate Release - March 6, 2008

BURLINGTON, ON – The City of Burlington will be able to enhance bus service with the announcement of $1.1 million from the provincial government for transit improvements, said Mayor Cam Jackson.

Mayor Jackson responded to recent news that the province will issue $1,084,915 to the City of Burlington to support local transit.

“This funding can help the city accelerate plans to create a better, more progressive and environmentally-friendly bus service,” Mayor Jackson said. “The goal of Burlington Transit is to provide efficient and cost-effective public transportation. The new funding could enable council to speed up capital budget initiatives identified in the 2008-17 approved capital budget and forecast, including several technology investments and customer service enhancements, such as the introduction of real-time bus arrival information and downloading schedules to wireless technology.”

Subject to council approval, the provincial funding could be used for

Additional vehicle purchases of 30-foot diesel; 40-foot diesel; and 40-foot hybrid buses

Automated vehicle location system (form of GPS for buses)

Computer-aided dispatch system

Automated traveller information system to provide real-time schedule information

Meeting the standards for the Ontarians with Disabilities Act

Transit priority measures

The funding was not expected but was part of a year-end allocation that must be approved before March 31. The funding will be received by the city following council’s approval of a bylaw at a March 17 City Council meeting.

==========================================================================

I think there was already some additional funds from last year which has yet to be used. However, I think that City Council's holding it back and maybe could allocate it for something else. In any event, excellent news for Burlington Transit.

I had received some information from Jennifer Wrobel, Director of Operations for Burlington Transit in regards to Burlington Transit's buses as well as its service situations.

Just to note that my questions are shown first followed by the answers.

================================================================================

===================

Hi there.

I am curious whether or not if Burlington Transit is still participating in the 2008 Consortium and how many buses, for which purpose, are they ordering?

We are participating in Joint Vehicle procurement for 2009 - 2010. The question of how many will rely on Council approval, we are looking at 4 replacement and 2 expansion buses.

Seeing that the new McMaster University Business Campus no longer will be built downtown, do you know where the new campus would be built and would Burlington Transit have any influence in having a bus loop as part of the construction plans? Any information regarding when it would be built?

Unknown at this time.

Speaking of downtown, any word on the new downtown transit terminal?

Unknown at this time.

Are there, on the horizon any more schedule improvements coming? And related, when would hte Upper Middle CNR Grade Seperation be taking place?

We are currently looking at Transit efficiency study and will have a Public Information session on April 30th at Mainway Arena from 7:00 -9:00 pm.

================================================================================

===================

Very interesting. I guess this all but confirms that the 2008 option apparently wasn't exercised. So this basically means that the buses which are part of the Burlington Transit roster are the same ones which will be sticking around until 2009/2010.

I am happy to know that the Transit Efficiency Study will be taking place. At least this will look at how these routes are currently performing and what to do at to further improve them. I'd say that the Route 1, 6, 8 and 12 will get the most attention.

Holy crap! I didn't think thsi would be implemented until September, but:

Starting this Good Friday, BURLINGTON TRANSIT'S NEW HOLIDAY SERVICE will be unveiled.

Regular Sunday service will be available on Good Friday. Other holidays which will be given this new service will be:

Monday, May 26th (Victoria Day)

Tuesday, July 1st (service would've been already provided, free, too)

Monday, August 4th (Civic Holiday)

Monday, September 2nd (Labour Day)

Monday, October 13th (Thanksgiving)

The Holiday service wouldn't be offered on Christmas Day.

Such a surprise. However, on the websiteWhere City Council approved it in their budget, which was given the go-ahead from the Burlington Transit Advisory Committee to present it to Council. I guess the city liked what they heard.