which ontario transit agencies have artics?

LF60

I'm pretty sure they existed because one of the employee at TBT actually remembered driving them, it was on a newspaper article. According to the article, the two 60' Brills were bought from Texus, and were returned because it was not suited for the Northwestern Ontario climate.

If they were from Texas, then they probably were ACF-Brills, built in Philadelphia.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, newbie here, I just wanted to know if Mississauga Transit is taking some of their Artics and converting them into conventional 40' buses. If so, which units are to be converted? I was on the MT website and this was mentioned in a video clip they have about their future plan strategies. I thought I'd post to get some insight from the pros

Hello all, newbie here, I just wanted to know if Mississauga Transit is taking some of their Artics and converting them into conventional 40' buses. If so, which units are to be converted? I was on the MT website and this was mentioned in a video clip they have about their future plan strategies. I thought I'd post to get some insight from the pros

That was dismissed as an idea a long time ago. I think they did not mean conversion as we could understand it, but replacing the 21 D60HFs with "more efficient 40 foot models."

They've no plans to converted into 40' as it's expensive, they will scrap the 60'.

To MT converting means replacing a certain amount of articulated buses with an even higher amount of 40' buses. MT was planning to replace the 35 1997 D60LFs with 53 40' buses, but they've decided not to, so were just going to order 35 new artics to replace the 1997s. Too bad they didn't realize it was a dumb idea when the 1993 D60HFs were in need of replacement.

They've no plans to converted into 40' as it's expensive, they will scrap the 60'.

Scrapping them would be a royal waste of time and money. They could get good money on the resale market, especially south of the border when some TA might want to try some artics as a pilot project but might not want to spend $$$ on new artics. Canada could use a 12 years/500,000 mile rule like the US, as much as you guys can keep old buses going retiring newer buses seems like a foolish waste.

I suggest sending them 400 miles southeast, we in Albany could use them on our packed routes while we iron out the details of our big BRT project :).

Scrapping them would be a royal waste of time and money. They could get good money on the resale market, especially south of the border when some TA might want to try some artics as a pilot project but might not want to spend $$$ on new artics. Canada could use a 12 years/500,000 mile rule like the US, as much as you guys can keep old buses going retiring newer buses seems like a foolish waste.

I suggest sending them 400 miles southeast, we in Albany could use them on our packed routes while we iron out the details of our big BRT project :).

The thing is that MT policy have a 12 years on artics, anything beyond that would cost them more to maintain. Mind you that MT does not spend money on rebuild unless if they have no choice but to do some bodywork to keep it on the road.

Already, the 97 D60LF have deterated down to the ground. I wouldn't use it for 2nd hand unless someone a refurb company would fix it up and resell it.

Mind you that MT does not spend money on rebuild unless if they have no choice but to do some bodywork to keep it on the road.

Do they do any other maintenance on the buses other than necessary bodywork?

Already, the 97 D60LF have deterated down to the ground. I wouldn't use it for 2nd hand unless someone a refurb company would fix it up and resell it.

In what ways? Not having ridden them (though I do want to make it to the GTA at some point this year), I can't be a judge. I've personally seen buses that have gone over a year with a broken rear door and other buses that have seen no interior maintenance done since they arrived from the factory. Are they in that bad of shape.

A reseller could make a mint on them, buy them cheap and then sell them. If they're unsalvageable, the parts from them would make a killing.

Do they do any other maintenance on the buses other than necessary bodywork?

In what ways? Not having ridden them (though I do want to make it to the GTA at some point this year), I can't be a judge. I've personally seen buses that have gone over a year with a broken rear door and other buses that have seen no interior maintenance done since they arrived from the factory. Are they in that bad of shape.

A reseller could make a mint on them, buy them cheap and then sell them. If they're unsalvageable, the parts from them would make a killing.

They obvioulsy have to change oil, and do minor repairs. The body work is just to keep the bus a) from falling apart and/or B) looking relatively presentable.

The 97 D60LFs are most likely some of the worst buses in the GTA.

I was reading about the 12 yr policy in the Hamilton Spectator, seems Hamilton has gone that route, would this also include the new Hybrid buses too?

Starting from 2002 fleet and over will be going for 12 year retirement/replacement. I think that HSR found out the rebuild is more difficult and cost for the 96, which is why they only do half fleet of 25. The LFS will not be rebuild as it continues to deterate and possible the VI due to high maintenance.

If you visit Mississauga fleet service levels, so far it's majority of 40ft on the heavy routes including the most heavy riders on route 19. They've dropped alot of artics on the road since they got the 03 and 05 D40LF and I haven't seen as much as before.

Now they've decided to changed their minds to re-purchase 35 LF artics for their replacement, which I guess they've found out that more 40ft doesn't work as always to keep essential service.

They obvioulsy have to change oil, and do minor repairs. The body work is just to keep the bus a) from falling apart and/or :) looking relatively presentable.

So the interiors look horrible, never seeing a cleaning or such?

The more I think about this, the more I think about the early 90s-vintage Gilligs (and one lone Champion Defender minibus) that run down in my old home town of Poughkeepsie, being literally kept together with duct tape and seeing little maintnence--pictures can be seen here. Luckily, they're due to be replaced next year with low floors of some sort, years after they should have.

So the interiors look horrible, never seeing a cleaning or such?

All of MT's buses are dirty, by the looks of it they get cleaned every month or so. :)

I ride them every day and I like them, but I have to admit it's time for them to go.

Although some of them are in good shape while others are falling apart. In some of them the HVAC only works at the front or the rear.

You can find photos of them here:

http://four.fsphost.com/ryansttcphotos/mt97d60lf.html

And a interior shot here:

http://www.maj.com/gallery/D60LFR/D60LF/100_0563.jpg

You guys also have to remember that MT's 97XXs are one of the first if not the first production model D60LFs.

• 2 months later...
Everyone says MT was the first to get D60LFs; that's not true. They were the first to get a massive order of them, but Strathcona County Transit was the first to get one in 1995. I wonder how #950 is doing now if MT's are doing so bad?

1995 D60LF

Isn't that the demo?

EDIT:I found out it is the demo so technically MT does have the first production D60LFs.

• 7 years later...