TTC NovaBus LFS Movement List

1 hour ago, TTC Guy said:

That’s why I’m thinking send a few Nova Hybrids for 927 service. This like when Arrow got 79xx’s for the 191 when the DD50’s left for Birchmount and Eglinton

The VII OG & NG hybrids are horrible on the highway. We’re lucky to get over 80 km/h in an OG alone. Also, the VII hybrids have an overspeed alarm that can and will cause a bus to breakdown on the highway

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Ultimate said:

Isnt the 927 becoming Artic service?

There isn't enough artics for the 927 to have artic service on that route. The 927 will probably be an artic route once the new hybrid artics arrive.

58 minutes ago, Shemar said:

There isn't enough artics for the 927 to have artic service on that route. The 927 will probably be an artic route once the new hybrid artics arrive.

I guess Arrow will lose the entire fleet of artics due to the construction on Finch.

18 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The more interesting question: Is the Orion VII Hybrids going to end up on the 927 if MtD does end up with that route. I don't think it would justify running artics on that route on weekends.

6 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

That’s why I’m thinking send a few Nova Hybrids for 927 service. This like when Arrow got 79xx’s for the 191 when the DD50’s left for Birchmount and Eglinton

5 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The VII OG & NG hybrids are horrible on the highway. We’re lucky to get over 80 km/h in an OG alone. Also, the VII hybrids have an overspeed alarm that can and will cause a bus to breakdown on the highway

From the standpoint, Mount Dennis would get Arrow’s 36xx or Malvern 34/35xx like about 50-60 each. LFS HEVs would perform well on the 427.

Speaking of Malvern, I would assume they would keep 20 Artics and 50-60 LFS HEVs. Around 10xx-12xx and 25 15/16xx might migrate over from Mount Dennis to Malvern to replace both the LFSA and LFS HEVs.

No options for Birchmount, Queensway, Comstock, or Wilson just yet. I don’t know if McNicoll would receive any Orion VIIs of any type but I would not assume they’ll take in the 79xxs (both revenue and non-revenue, ie the Event Support buses) but they have one fishbowl and TTC1. It’s not possible to have McNicoll solely an LFS garage like Birchmount currently is. They have not returned any Orion VII NG diesel buses since they went to Wilson for VISION installation only to be replaced by Arrow’s older LFS fleet. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The more interesting question: Is the Orion VII Hybrids going to end up on the 927 if MtD does end up with that route. I don't think it would justify running artics on that route on weekends.

Well, they can always try the Proterras out on the highway. Joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Mt Dennis gets some 40ft Novas, either diesel or hybrid, because of 927. That is of course if it does in fact move to Mt Dennis. 

2 hours ago, Shemar said:

I've done rough calculations a few months ago and it is possible to convert both 935 and 927 to artics. They would be able to do this by removing them from 36 and 41. Removing them from 36 wouldn't be surprising with the LRT construction going on. Also, residents on Keele have complained in the past that service levels have dropped since artics were introduced and I believe the TTC has hinted at removing artics from the route to run more frequent service with 40fts. The TTC does seem to be shifting their artics onto express routes only, which is more efficient.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, wil9402 said:

Well, they can always try the Proterras out on the highway. Joking aside, I wouldn't be surprised if Mt Dennis gets some 40ft Novas, either diesel or hybrid, because of 927. That is of course if it does in fact move to Mt Dennis. 

The Proterra BE40s would be very inefficient on the highway due to the mass battery drain if the bus survived a full round trip. The range drops when I run the e-bus in using Lake Shore Blvd (60km/h zone)

2 hours ago, wil9402 said:

I've done rough calculations a few months ago and it is possible to convert both 935 and 927 to artics. They would be able to do this by removing them from 36 and 41. Removing them from 36 wouldn't be surprising with the LRT construction going on. Also, residents on Keele have complained in the past that service levels have dropped since artics were introduced and I believe the TTC has hinted at removing artics from the route to run more frequent service with 40fts. The TTC does seem to be shifting their artics onto express routes only, which is more efficient.

If planning were to see how buses are populated nowadays, they would see that the local service needs the artics over the express services. Prime example: the 41 gets pretty busy in the evening rush, while the 941 barely carries a load close to similar in comparison. Though the 35/935 is a separate case altogether, not all Express services benefit from having articulated buses on them

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

I guess Arrow will lose the entire fleet of artics due to the construction on Finch.

From the standpoint, Mount Dennis would get Arrow’s 36xx or Malvern 34/35xx like about 50-60 each. LFS HEVs would perform well on the 427.

Speaking of Malvern, I would assume they would keep 20 Artics and 50-60 LFS HEVs. Around 10xx-12xx and 25 15/16xx might migrate over from Mount Dennis to Malvern to replace both the LFSA and LFS HEVs.

No options for Birchmount, Queensway, Comstock, or Wilson just yet. I don’t know if McNicoll would receive any Orion VIIs of any type but I would not assume they’ll take in the 79xxs (both revenue and non-revenue, ie the Event Support buses) but they have one fishbowl and TTC1. It’s not possible to have McNicoll solely an LFS garage like Birchmount currently is. They have not returned any Orion VII NG diesel buses since they went to Wilson for VISION installation only to be replaced by Arrow’s older LFS fleet. 

And also with the 939 Finch Express and 953 Steeles Express moving from Malvern to McNicoll, Malvern would only need about 20 artics for the 985 Sheppard East Express  and the remaining would go to McNicoll and the 36 Finch West would lose their artics to Mount Dennis because of the construction on Finch leaving them with enough artics for the 935 Jane Express and 927 Hwy 27 Rocket

5 hours ago, Young said:

And also with the 939 Finch Express and 953 Steeles Express moving from Malvern to McNicoll, Malvern would only need about 20 artics for the 985 Sheppard East Express  and the remaining would go to McNicoll and the 36 Finch West would lose their artics to Mount Dennis because of the construction on Finch leaving them with enough artics for the 935 Jane Express and 927 Hwy 27 Rocket

Also, remember that Malvern would be sending only 23 artics to McNicoll and that is only enough to cover the 953 so if they decide to remove artics from the 36, then some of Arrow's artics would need to move to McNicoll so that the 939 can run with some artics while the rest of the Arrow's artics would move to MtD to be used on the 927 if the 927 moves there. If the 927 stays at Arrow, then Arrow would keep some of their artics and send some of them to McNicoll for the 939. That might mean that the 927 and 939 won't be fully artic but they would both still see some artic service.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Shemar said:

Also, remember that Malvern would be sending only 23 artics to McNicoll and that is only enough to cover the 953 so if they decide to remove artics from the 36, then some of Arrow's artics would need to move to McNicoll so that the 939 can run with some artics while the rest of the Arrow's artics would move to MtD to be used on the 927 if the 927 moves there. If the 927 stays at Arrow, then Arrow would keep some of their artics and send some of them to McNicoll for the 939. That might mean that the 927 and 939 won't be fully artic but they would both still see some artic service.

TTC was suppose to procure 68 artics to fill in the gap. The 939 would need 40-50 artics to operate in the morning, less if the 939C would stick to standard buses. I don't think the 939 would be converted in the near future.

The 927 only needs around 14 which is totally doable.

9 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC was suppose to procure 68 artics to fill in the gap. The 939 would need 40-50 artics to operate in the morning, less if the 939C would stick to standard buses. I don't think the 939 would be converted in the near future.

The 927 only needs around 14 which is totally doable.

Makes sense. There are several routes that can benefit from having artics. It will be interesting to see how many additional artics the TTC orders in the future because wasn't MtD supposed to eventually become a fully artic division?

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

Makes sense. There are several routes that can benefit from having artics. It will be interesting to see how many additional artics the TTC orders in the future because wasn't MtD supposed to eventually become a fully artic division?

They opened with 6 artic hoists which is double the amount at Arrow, Wilson or Malvern. The rest are still 40 ft. I'm not sure if anything has changed, perhaps others can chime in. 

So they wouldn't be able to operate artics only with less than half the hoist capacity. Nor does all routes need artics at all times period. 

Malvern now has four artic hoists, one of the pits was filled in. Twelve 40 foot only hoists.  Wireless portables can be brought in if need be, all that’s needed is the floor space and the overhead clearance.

D7604A9B-E50E-48E8-ACD5-75615EC47203.thumb.jpeg.46e3bcc7d7a1584c93895b9702afe1cd.jpeg

It’s probably common knowledge, but the artic hoists are capable of lifting a forty footer just as easily with the A post disabled.

• Like 4

3100 3105 3106 3110 3112 3114 3119 3124 3139 are now at McNicoll

8471 8472 8473 8474 8475 8601 8604 8605 have moved to Birchmount

@Xtrazsteve 8420 is also at Birchmount, you might have missed that one

Edited by Shemar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Shemar said:

3100 3105 3106 3110 3112 3114 3119 3124 3139 are now at McNicoll

8471 8472 8473 8474 8475 8601 8604 8605 have moved to Birchmount

@Xtrazsteve 8420 is also at Birchmount, you might have missed that one

Fixed and updated.