General Train Spotting/Photos

On June 25, 2020 at 7:48 PM, Charlie said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could help me find out any information on this locomotive, seen in the Walkley Yard, Ottawa, June 1991. 

91JUNE1.thumb.jpg.13f5d190cb366bfbb3349311de98acfb.jpg

I have been trying to find some info online, but to no avail.

Photo is my own. 

Took some work Googling but it would appear this was originally CN MLW S-4 #8018, later to Canada Starch. Paint matches the pic in the source link below, as does the time frame that it was listed as retired by Canada Starch. They did list the Hull, Chelsea & Wakefield as "stillborn" which certainly wasn't quite the case.  

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/casco.htm

10 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Took some work Googling but it would appear this was originally CN MLW S-4 #8018, later to Canada Starch. Paint matches the pic in the source link below, as does the time frame that it was listed as retired by Canada Starch. They did list the Hull, Chelsea & Wakefield as "stillborn" which certainly wasn't quite the case.  

http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/industrial/ont/casco.htm

Very interesting! I wonder if for whatever reason they had difficulties with the locomotive itself, or running the locomotive along the line so they decided to go with the Swedish locos instead.

I caught a CN Rail freight train that carried wind turbines last week and I caught another one yesterday with a TTC streetcar going south at Saint Lambert train station 

Does anyone know what CN is using this for, the box car in the middle have a compressor or generator running and a couple workers on it, there are hoses going from the tanks to the box car. 

20200711_195503.jpg

20200711_195509.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, thager said:

Does anyone know what CN is using this for, the box car in the middle have a compressor or generator running and a couple workers on it, there are hoses going from the tanks to the box car. 

20200711_195503.jpg

20200711_195509.jpg

That's CN's herbicide train. It sprays weeds along the right of way.

• Thanks 1

So with the Rocky Mountaineer being cancelled for the season, will they be taking this time to refurbishing their fleet? Any possible damage by having the fleet parked for over a year? 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

So with the Rocky Mountaineer being cancelled for the season, will they be taking this time to refurbishing their fleet? Any possible damage by having the fleet parked for over a year? 

Some of their cars were repainted a few years ago in Toronto at VIA's TMC.

8 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Some of their cars were repainted a few years ago in Toronto at VIA's TMC.

The most recent repainting and refurbishing a couple of years ago was done by ONR. That finally wrapped up last year.

The repainting done at the former CRCR - which is located at VIA's TMC, and was only done on a small portion of the fleet - was over 10 years ago.

Dan