Jump to content
9924

General Train Spotting/Photos

Recommended Posts

Well, wherever that rail was going, it's there now. I spotted today that the two had been relocated to the small stub yard south of Don yard (I can never remember its name) and had been offloaded. 

20160919_135055[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

Well, wherever that rail was going, it's there now. I spotted today that the two had been relocated to the small stub yard south of Don yard (I can never remember its name) and had been offloaded. 

20160919_135055[1].jpg

Wilson Yard is its name.

 

Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related note, is there any reason why the TTC doesn't have a dedicated rail spur for loads destined for Wilson beyond the previous issue of CFB Downsview and the current one with the construction of the Vaughan extension? (Not to Wilson Yard but say something in the Carl Hall Rd. - Chesswood Dr. area)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

On a related note, is there any reason why the TTC doesn't have a dedicated rail spur for loads destined for Wilson beyond the previous issue of CFB Downsview and the current one with the construction of the Vaughan extension? (Not to Wilson Yard but say something in the Carl Hall Rd. - Chesswood Dr. area)

Unless your building an underpass under the runway there that will never happen. (Wilson yard)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Unless your building an underpass under the runway there that will never happen. (Wilson yard)

That I know along with not being able to build an unloading ramp on the west side of the Carl Hall Rd. - Chesswood Dr. intersection without risking what would probably be the first instance of an airplane crashing into a subway train. However, it seems odd that there is no spot on the Newmarket sub where the TTC can transfer loads to truck for the final leg to Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should also point out that my original question could apply to asking why the offloading track at Greenwood was removed since transferring rail from a flatcar to a TTC service flatcar for final delivery shouldn't be a difficult task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, skyfirenet said:

That I know along with not being able to build an unloading ramp on the west side of the Carl Hall Rd. - Chesswood Dr. intersection without risking what would probably be the first instance of an airplane crashing into a subway train. However, it seems odd that there is no spot on the Newmarket sub where the TTC can transfer loads to truck for the final leg to Wilson.

Either way your gonna need a transport truck with pilot cars and police escort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 9:02 AM, skyfirenet said:

I should also point out that my original question could apply to asking why the offloading track at Greenwood was removed since transferring rail from a flatcar to a TTC service flatcar for final delivery shouldn't be a difficult task.

The trains are assembled dead in Wilson Yard off the flatbeds, and are towed/pushed into the carhouse for inaugural testing.

If you resurrect the Greenwood delivery track, you're forcing yourself to do inaugural testing at Greenwood, or you're towing a trainset dead all the way to Wilson Yard. Considering a reverse move or a runaround is required to perform such a move, that pretty well nixes that idea. Also, the time consumed by such a tow could also interfere with track works.

I think on a cost benefit, it made the most sense to truck the cars down individually. This wasn't done with the low floors because of vehicle length and quite possibly weight. To haul them down by rail, and then offload them, I don't think you're going to gain any travel time. In fact, it would likely take longer.

Now, time to introduce another element. Why hasn't a spur been thought of branching off the Vaughan extension and surfacing south of the future Downsview Park station with a delivery track located there? Again, it would come down to cost vs. benefit. You're building a non-revenue tunnel that would be used once every what, 15-20 years? Yeah, not a wise investment in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And after the hopeful optimism about new rail going in in the Portlands, reality ensued. There is now one less industrial spur in the Portlands. On the plus side, the crossing further east on Lakeshore on the part of the spur heading to the treatment plant was being fixed up at the same time.

20161030_1608451_zpsocm4cymx.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, Helena Birk said:

omg how old is this stuff?

23 Years old.  It's a 1994 GMDD F59.  As for the photo, there's no date on it.  But you can click on this link to find out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152462388@N03/35258877924/

Edited by 38 Highland Creek
Found a link above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spy with my little eye, some equipment on the defunct CP Don Branch.

20171027_154926[1]

I know it may or may not happen, the re-opening of the CP Don Branch.

20171027_154933[1]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could be using it as a siding, to do work on the Bala sub. 

Or they are fixing the track after the city took out part of the line to do construction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-15 at 12:53 PM, webfil said:

Tracks were washed during severe weather storms in 2011. Service was cut in Dec' 11. Bridges began to be replaced in the last 2 years. Trains can now use the track up to New Richmond.

À propos,

Le train sera transporté par  camion

SCFG is moving today to New Richmond by truck (!) its RS-18 loco currently idling in Gaspé since a couple of years so that it may haul windmill parts and bulk trains .

SFG1849 used to haul L'Amiral tourist train, a consist of ex GO-carts and an ex-AMT 600-series, ex-ex-CTCUM, ex-ex-ex-VIA, née CN EGU car.

Photo de Train touristique L'Amiral.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is SFG 1849 arrived in New Richmond on a flatbed, by Bernard Babin.

fzRLrMgtO3F0zU3-RyJ2JYInyzxSxG4Y-0jEHxSn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shaun said:

is there no connection to rail to the outside world?

Yes, but it's broken. See preceding posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in New Richmond yesterday. Had some time to spare in the early morning, willing to find SFG 1849 freshly arrived from Gaspé. All I found was 1819, wayside-power-idling at VIA station.

5a2d4a76b3db9_IMG_04971.thumb.JPG.9d331d2ffb99305f75f537e458ab29a8.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was heading to lunch today when I spotted CN Train# 589 stopped in Kanata while heading to Arnprior, Ontario. 

IMG_5913.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...