LRT

Refurbished SD160 Tracking list

Car 2202 is ready for a wrap this weekend to be loaded onto a flat car next week for its trip south. Car 2203 should be shipped northbound next week as well.

20180504_085524.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pantograf said:

2202 is wrapped and ready to go. 

20180507_103054.jpg

Nice! Where's the bow?

• Haha 1

2207 and 2318 on test track again. Looks like 2318 is the designated series 8 test train. May have special software perhaps???

15 minutes ago, frinkprof said:

SD160 being hauled away from the delivery pad by CP Rail today.

20180521_151313.thumb.jpg.72cacd451ace0b024661239c8e01f899.jpg

See you in 3 years!😁

• Haha 3

Cars 2207-2304-2318 on test track today. 1st time I've seen 3 cars coupled up running.

I hope these cars will run in any combination together. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LRT said:

New consist arrangement today

Cars 2219-2207-2303 on test track late this morning.

I wonder if they sound any different? I recall recently reading (either here or on an official press release) about how the regenerative-braking systems will be upgraded to Series 8 standard and use less or no mechanical braking in normal operation. Does this mean they'll use less net energy?

I've always kind of wondered what the net energy usage for a U2 versus newer cars are per year.

3 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I wonder if they sound any different? I recall recently reading (either here or on an official press release) about how the regenerative-braking systems will be upgraded to Series 8 standard and use less or no mechanical braking in normal operation. Does this mean they'll use less net energy?

I've always kind of wondered what the net energy usage for a U2 versus newer cars are per year.

Good question... I think it's all the same not sure and can't confirm right now.

The U2s use far less energy then the other cars including taking regenerative braking in the other cars in consideration. 

Refurb testing update!

4 car mixed consist testing on test track!

2219-23??-2207-2303

So obviously they are testing different configurations. Seems like testing is moving right along!

1 hour ago, chills_on_the_train said:

.... Really? Are they just that much lighter? Or is it the lack of A/C?

They are much lighter, no HVAC, DC propulsion uses less energy (two DC traction motors instead of four AC traction motors) Just a much simpler machine. 

The S200s are supposed to be the lighter then the SD160s and the Series 8s are the heaviest cars.

4 hours ago, LRT said:

They are much lighter, no HVAC, DC propulsion uses less energy (two DC traction motors instead of four AC traction motors) Just a much simpler machine. 

The S200s are supposed to be the lighter then the SD160s and the Series 8s are the heaviest cars.

Interesting! Are there detailed spec sheets of the various models somewhere I could geek out over?

2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Interesting! Are there detailed spec sheets of the various models somewhere I could geek out over?

This is a wicked website made up by one of the operators at work. You'll find lots of great information here. Damn good site!

Make sure to click specifications on the top left corner

http://www.carsandtrains.com/ctrain/u2/u2dc_photoindex.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some pics of cars 2207 and 2219 coupled to 2303 and 2318 undergoing testing in Anderson garage.

20180602_131356.jpg

20180602_133109.jpg

• Like 5

And.... 2205 is at Anderson.

3 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Just saw it go past me heading WB on 7th Ave, at 4th St platform!

Right on!

It was indeed 2207-2303-2219-2318

1st time on mainline!