Refurbished SD160 Tracking list

LRT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I know wrong thread but I'm still waiting for 2205/2207/22xx to be put back into service

LRT training will be putting the refurbs to the test next week. From what I understand, Siemens says there ready. Tech services says more tweaking is required. Hopefully we'll see these things in service come spring.

Until these things are ready for service none are going out for refurb.

• Like 3

AND...

Another issue is these trains "operationally" cannot be operated as series 5s and 6s because technically they're not anymore

These things are now a hybrid or "frankentrain" of a Series 5 or 6 with series 8 and series 9 components.

How will these cars now be identified? Will they be remembered? New name identifier?

They're going to have a new section in the rule book for these that's for sure.

All this stuff will be figured out in the coming weeks.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Sorry it's f this has been ansked before, but how long does this extend their lifespan?

Or is this strictly software upgrades?

As member "LRT" mentioned in a previous post, these trains were updated with some components from series 8 and 9s.  Not quite sure about how much longer the lifespan of the trains will be extended, I guess we'll have to wait until they're put into revenue service to find out.

57 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Sorry it's f this has been ansked before, but how long does this extend their lifespan?

Or is this strictly software upgrades?

Let's not forget these vehicles went through a refurb in house (new paint and rebuilt bogie's) before they were sent away at least within a few years.

About 5 to 7 years ago they received HVAC and new sealed windows. The SD160s are in very good condition.

With the new electrical components I would imagine these trains are probably rewired for the most part to accommodate the new software / hardware and not to mention new floor, wall insulation

These cars have a lot of life left in them I would suspect at least another 10 to 15 years easily.

But knowing Transit and how they treated the U2's they're probably going to last 20 more years.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I remember the 160s having AC right from the get-go though...?

They were hot boxes from day 1. You think U2s are hot in the summer? They were a dream to drive compared to the SDs in the summer.

The SDs used to have these huge white boxes on the roofs until the large more stream lined black Thermoking units were installed.

9 minutes ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

I'd imagine the series 8's did, but the 2001 order did not

The only U2s that had AC were the Sandiego units. They where installed after delivery and that was a huge undertaking for those cars.

1 minute ago, LRT said:

They were hot boxes from day 1. You think U2s are hot in the summer? They were a dream to drive compared to the SDs in the summer.

The SDs used to have these huge white boxes on the roofs until the large more stream lined black Thermoking units were installed.

Hmm. I remember going from Dalhousie to Heritage daily around 2003-2004 and the SDs were always much cooler and more comfortable than the U2s. But maybe that was due to thicker glass or something?

6 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Hmm. I remember going from Dalhousie to Heritage daily around 2003-2004 and the SDs were always much cooler and more comfortable than the U2s. But maybe that was due to thicker glass or something?

The electronics in those SDs got hot in the summer. Air circulation sucked bad in those cars. The Calgary SDs where the only cars made without air conditioning. This includes the SD100s that were built in the 80s for other agencies.

The rumor was that the Calgary cars were ordered specifically without air conditioning and actually paid more money not to have air conditioning.

Cars 2207 and 2219 were out again on a test run.

11 hours ago, LRT said:

The rumor was that the Calgary cars were ordered specifically without air conditioning and actually paid more money not to have air conditioning.

FWIW I asked Calgary Transit customer service a few years ago about paying more to remove AC and they replied saying it wasn’t the case. 

However the philosophy at the time was utilitarian and no frills: 

Strict adherence to a philosophy of using basic, proven technology (e.g., LRT cars are without automated diagnostics, automated passenger counting, air conditioning) and utilitarian design (e.g., primarily surface operation) has minimized the cost and risks associated with system development and has enabled the LRT extensions to be delivered on time and within budget.

source:

https://www.calgarytransit.com/sites/default/files/reports/calgarys_lrt_1st_25years_trb_revised.pdf

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lucx said:

FWIW I asked Calgary Transit customer service a few years ago about paying more to remove AC and they replied saying it wasn’t the case”

I would not consider any information provided by customer service or the call centre, regarding anything about route and schedule information, as credible information.

The source you have provided, has the correct information.

• Like 2

Well, it's finally starting to look like we might see a 3-car refurb train in service pretty soon. The 3 cars (2205, 2207 and 2219) are currently going through  the final stages of the acceptance process and once training is done with their evaluation and some final adjustments (one car is having brake issues) are done, we should be good to go. And before you ask, there are no plans for the near future to run them with the 8's. ?

• Like 4