Refurbished SD160 Tracking list

LRT

Plans are underway to Send the Series 5,6 and 7s back to Sacramento for a major mechanical refurb (By Siemens). We can track them here.

The plan is 2 cars will be sent a time. I'm not to sure of a time line of when they will be sent but they are expected to head south by the end of the year.

Plans are underway to Send the Series 5,6 and 7s back to Sacramento for a major mechanical refurb (By Siemens). We can track them here.

The plan is 2 cars will be sent a time. I'm not to sure of a time line of when they will be sent but they are expected to head south by the end of the year.

Well I would guess that the introduction of the new series 9 cars will release them for refurb, but do you know if this will delay 4 car trains being introduced?

Well I would guess that the introduction of the new series 9 cars will release them for refurb, but do you know if this will delay 4 car trains being introduced?

No delay. Its staggered. 2 cars to start then 4 then 8 to eventually all rush hour keys.

Is there any specific information available on what exactly will be done to them? Will they receive any cosmetic upgrades (interior modernization, etc), or just technical system and mechanical changes?

Yes if you Google it and search for it hard enough you will find an old document about it. I found it by mistake years ago.

Upgrades may include:

Propulsion upgrades (software)

Improved braking systems (& software)

Security cameras

New destination signs

"Infotainment" system

New interior design (seating & floors)

improved cab layout

Removal of the stripper poles in the 6 and 7s I hope

Supposed to be a 6 week turnaround from start to finish plus shipping (per car)

If it's still on track with the timeline from May, it would be Car 1 December 2015 for 6 weeks, and Car 2 in January 2016 but only for 3 weeks with a total project time of 3 years. Presumably every car after #1 would only take 3 weeks. Whether or not that includes shipping is another thing. It's a solid 2 day drive to Sacramento (done it, including a speeding ticket in Montana... mind you, there was railfanning as well...) more likely 3 days if you factor in loading and offloading for 6 days alone for shipping.

I know operability with the Series 8 was mentioned. Any word on that?

If it's still on track with the timeline from May, it would be Car 1 December 2015 for 6 weeks, and Car 2 in January 2016 but only for 3 weeks with a total project time of 3 years. Presumably every car after #1 would only take 3 weeks. Whether or not that includes shipping is another thing. It's a solid 2 day drive to Sacramento (done it, including a speeding ticket in Montana... mind you, there was railfanning as well...) more likely 3 days if you factor in loading and offloading for 6 days alone for shipping.

I know operability with the Series 8 was mentioned. Any word on that?

Not sure with the Series 8s. Could be a simple software upgrade. As far as I know there staying put.

I'm by no means an expert, but would it make sense for the Series 5/6/7 to be compatible with the Series 9? That would allow the option to upgrade the Series 8 later and unify the SD/S200 fleet

There is only so much that can be done to unify the SDs to the S200. The only thing that will eventually be the same is the coupler. All SDs and S200s will have the same coupler.

The previous poster is correct. The SDs are slated to be refurbed to operate much like the series 8 and will recieve the new S200 coupler. The series 8s will recieve their new coupler down the road when they are refurbed.

Would these be shipped down by truck or by rail? Be kind of nice if the cars were shipped out one for one with the S200's arrival...that is, once an S200 is unloaded from it's railcar, put an SD160 on it...after all, I believe they're supposed to be sent right back to Siemens for reload.

I hope the seating arrangement isn't changed. I still hate the seating in the Series 8 cars, and the flat benches in 2333 are even worse.

Jon

Would these be shipped down by truck or by rail? Be kind of nice if the cars were shipped out one for one with the S200's arrival...that is, once an S200 is unloaded from it's railcar, put an SD160 on it...after all, I believe they're supposed to be sent right back to Siemens for reload.

That would only work for the fist 3 SD160's or so. After that, SD160's are being shipped back as well.

I belive the 1st SD160 will be sent back right around the same time the first S200 arrives. The first car will be the prototype and from what I heard it may be in California for up to 6 months.

Seating is supposed to be similar to the S200s. Cameras will be the similar to the S200s as well

There is no plans to mix the S200s with no othrer car in the fleet....the S200s will run solo.

I belive the 1st SD160 will be sent back right around the same time the first S200 arrives. The first car will be the prototype and from what I heard it may be in California for up to 6 months.

Seating is supposed to be similar to the S200s. Cameras will be the similar to the S200s as well

There is no plans to mix the S200s with no othrer car in the fleet....the S200s will run solo.

I see. It makes sense to keep the SD 160s and S200s running solo, unless in the future they plan to get the SDs to run in the middle of S200s like the U2-ACs :P Again, the Series 5/6/7s were built to run together and be upgraded to run with the Series 8s. It will be nice to see the SD 160s refurbished, at least these bad boys will get some new life into them.

And I assume the seating on the S200s are like the Series 8s?

I see. It makes sense to keep the SD 160s and S200s running solo, unless in the future they plan to get the SDs to run in the middle of S200s like the U2-ACs [emoji14] Again, the Series 5/6/7s were built to run together and be upgraded to run with the Series 8s. It will be nice to see the SD 160s refurbished, at least these bad boys will get some new life into them.

And I assume the seating on the S200s are like the Series 8s?

The seating on the 9s will be similar to the 8s (car 2333). Seating near the cab will be like the U2s and in the articulation area they will have "bum bars"

• 4 months later...

Yes if you Google it and search for it hard enough you will find an old document about it. I found it by mistake years ago.

Upgrades may include:

Propulsion upgrades (software)

Improved braking systems (& software)

Security cameras

New destination signs

"Infotainment" system

New interior design (seating & floors)

improved cab layout

Removal of the stripper poles in the 6 and 7s I hope

Supposed to be a 6 week turnaround from start to finish plus shipping (per car)

Will the first reduce their power consumption enough to let them run 4-car trains of those? That's supposedly one of the reasons 2101 was retired and 2102 is probably on borrowed time - their electronics will no longer be compatible with the SDs once those are rebuilt.

Will the first reduce their power consumption enough to let them run 4-car trains of those? That's supposedly one of the reasons 2101 was retired and 2102 is probably on borrowed time - their electronics will no longer be compatible with the SDs once those are rebuilt.

That's right. Once upgraded they will no longer run with other SD160s. The "rebuilt" SD160s will share similar characteristics as the S200s, keep in mind they will never run with the S200 as they are electronically completely different The S200 has been redesigned from the ground up its a completely different animal. Nothing is the same as the SD160 Eventually the Series 8s will be converted as well then you will see the entire SD160 fleet run together.

They ran a four car series 7 this past Monday with no issues.

A software update was done on a number of series 7s and some minor power upgrades, and recalculations, were done over the weekend to accomodate series 7 consists. The plan is for key 5 to run as a 4 car series 7 and key 8 to run as a 4 car series 8 as opposed to both being 8s.

That's right. Once upgraded they will no longer run with other SD160s. The "rebuilt" SD160s will share similar characteristics as the S200s, keep in mind they will never run with the S200 as they are electronically completely different The S200 has been redesigned from the ground up its a completely different animal. Nothing is the same as the SD160 Eventually the Series 8s will be converted as well then you will see the entire SD160 fleet run together.

My understanding (which could be mistaken, of course) is that the refurbished SD160 (5,6, and eventually 7) will be running with Series 8s as soon as they return from Sacramento, and will share many characteristics of the Series 8s, more so than the S200. Calgary's first SD160s were actually supposed to have more of a dash like the 8s from the outset, but were downgraded at CTs request to make them resemble the U2s more.

My understanding (which could be mistaken, of course) is that the refurbished SD160 (5,6, and eventually 7) will be running with Series 8s as soon as they return from Sacramento, and will share many characteristics of the Series 8s, more so than the S200.

Ive heard that as well. But i also heard from an electro the plan is for the 5, 6 and 7s to come back to calgary with the same coupler as the S200 and that all 5, 6, 7 and eventually 8s would have that coupler as well and at that point, those trains would be capable of running together.

The Series 5, 6, and 7's work really well, from a customer standpoint. The seats and interior design works really well, and so do the AESYS signs. They don't appear to break down as often as the U2's or Series 8's.

I'm most worried about the seats. Every time I see a series 8, I cringe about the upcoming uncomfortable trip.

I'm wondering why they haven't announced this with the same fanfare they've been using for the S200's

The Series 5, 6, and 7's work really well, from a customer standpoint. The seats and interior design works really well, and so do the AESYS signs. They don't appear to break down as often as the U2's or Series 8's.

I'm most worried about the seats. Every time I see a series 8, I cringe about the upcoming uncomfortable trip.

I'm wondering why they haven't announced this with the same fanfare they've been using for the S200's

Well they haven't sent one away yet. There could be a media event yet to come.....