Green Line LRT

The transit advocate in me is quite gutted at the moves this recent budget has made towards the Green Line.

The political cynic in me almost wants the City to walk away from the deal, patch up the enabling works and finish the ones that have started and basically give the finger to the MLA's who allowed the Green Line to be postponed like this.  The federal money is contingent on funding from the province and the City, and won't be paid back until the project is complete.  So the City would basically have to temporarily carry the entire burden of the construction costs on the hopes that the funding doesn't get cut, which apparently the province can do with 90 days notice and no cause provided.  That right there would be enough for me to say "shelve the project", and then place the blame completely on the province.  Let those who are in the deep southeast and the north stew during their commutes and yell at the UCP next time they're at the ballot box.

That said, I'm sure there are more than a few people in the city who wouldn't want the Green Line to go forward and they would be smiling at the fact their tax dollars aren't "being wasted" despite the fact this project would be quite a shot in the arm for the city's economy.

• Like 3

On 10/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, Jon Calon said:

Let those who are in the deep southeast and the north stew during their commutes and yell at the UCP next time they're at the ballot box.

This is the problem, though. Conservative voters in this province do not change their votes. No matter how bad the PC/UCP treats them, they believe the NDP or anyone else to be somehow "worse". The NDP barely grew their vote totals at all in the last election. They just weren't able to benefit from the near-miraculous split vote of 2015.

At this point I will just be surprised if the last U2 is retired before 2030, and we don't end up buying Edmonton's.

• Like 1

A very interesting opinion piece by three former senior transportation/planning managers at the City of Calgary. 

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-with-funding-delayed-should-calgary-be-thinking-about-brt-instead-of-lrt

They argue Stage 1 of the Green Line will be of limited use as previously proposed, and we should give serious thought to building BRT in a pre-LRT transitway instead. 

• Like 1