Jump to content

CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! It is unavailable to edit while we sort out character encoding issues for our French pages. Please report any other issues here.

PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, JWC said:

Just saw 4004 on Coxwell at Dundas looking very rough & out of service with 4 way flashers on.

Sitting at Kipling Loop now, not signed in on the 501 

Edit: Now on 501L

Edited by CLRV4002
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

Sitting at Kipling Loop now, not signed in on the 501 

Edit: Now on 501L

The ttc making 4004 look impenetrable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time someone sees 4001 or 4003, they don’t need to share how pristine the car looks. If every post was detailed on 4003, one of you guys would have posted that there’s a crack in the paint on driver’s side front, near the fleet number

End of rant *exhales*

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

4249 at Roncesvalles 

Was it in service

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4117 is running on the 501A right now at roncesvalles and queen

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4221 now reporting current data and tracking on one of the western tracks at the front of Russell

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4195 is MIA last ran on jun 15 on 506

Also 4146 is MIA last ran on jun 8 on 506/306

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, Wayside Observer said:

It's been talked and bandied about for years, probably since the three cars ran in Boston, so it's far from being top secret, eyes only stuff.

Anyways, on the subject of off-TTC operations, I was talking with some friends a while ago and one of them's convinced that a CLRV was demonstrated on the Shaker Heights line in Cleveland back in the day.  Something about that sounds vaguely familiar like maybe the idea was contemplated at one point but I couldn't turn up anything online to conclusively prove or disprove it unlike the Boston and Swiss trials.  Does anybody know one way or the other for sure? 

The following is a 1989 Toronto Star article that mentions CLRVs in Cleveland briefly at the end. Not sure if it is true or not or this just fueled the rumor about CLRVs in Cleveland. 

ProQuestDocuments-2019-06-28.pdf

(Article use for research/personal only, no commercial distribution) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

The following is a 1989 Toronto Star article that mentions CLRVs in Cleveland briefly at the end. Not sure if it is true or not or this just fueled the rumor about CLRVs in Cleveland. 

ProQuestDocuments-2019-06-28.pdf 199.9 kB · 4 downloads

(Article use for research/personal only, no commercial distribution) 

Thanks for posting that.  That was an interesting article.  Cleveland didn't have any CLRVs, not in 1989.  Ma ybe Al Leach was referring to the Breda fleet on the Shaker Heights line mistakenly thinking those were CLRVs?  If the TTC wasn't happy with how the CLRVs had turned out, they were in for a nice surprise with the ALRVs that were arriving and of course the H6 circus was already well underway by '89.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing that article. It's interesting to note that even after having 10 years to work them out they were so dissatisfied with how the CLRVs ended up turning out. Did they ever end up getting better?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

The following is a 1989 Toronto Star article that mentions CLRVs in Cleveland briefly at the end. Not sure if it is true or not or this just fueled the rumor about CLRVs in Cleveland. 

ProQuestDocuments-2019-06-28.pdf 199.9 kB · 16 downloads

(Article use for research/personal only, no commercial distribution) 

Al Leach was not known for a lot of things, not the least of which was tact and research. Cleveland never had CLRVs, nor did they ever operate one. It is possible, however, that the Breda cars, which were built around the same time as the CLRVs, used the same right-angle gearbox that the CLRVs had.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 9:39 AM, smallspy said:

Al Leach was not known for a lot of things, not the least of which was tact and research. Cleveland never had CLRVs, nor did they ever operate one. It is possible, however, that the Breda cars, which were built around the same time as the CLRVs, used the same right-angle gearbox that the CLRVs had.

 

Dan

Somehow APTA named him Transit Manager of the Year during that period.

I can't recall now where I read it (maybe farther back here?) but one of the TTC streetcar engineers reportedly said the CLRV fleet actually performed quite well in the 1990s and early 2000s, I think it was after some overhauls and tweaking of equipment. It seems it took a while to get all the bugs out but then they finally got their second wind.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4010 is at Hillcrest.

4049, 4069, 4192, and 4195 are at Roncesvalles.

4004 hasn't run since June 25.

4114 was last seen on June 28.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the trackers there’s been quite a bit of ALRV movement in the yard. 4228 is tracking again after not reporting anything for over a month 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

9A7A31C6-2DE2-4F5B-9DDB-F1DFD6E78A97.thumb.jpeg.5405c510281ed3655de6855a43e50a1f.jpeg

4012 has a front rollsign at the rear. Is this new ? 

There was a 401x with a front rollsign in the rear back in 2016-2017, as I remember riding it on 512. I am fairly certain it was 4012. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

9A7A31C6-2DE2-4F5B-9DDB-F1DFD6E78A97.thumb.jpeg.5405c510281ed3655de6855a43e50a1f.jpeg

4012 has a front rollsign at the rear. Is this new ? 

4048 or 4049 has this as well(i forgot the number, its either one of the 2)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Looking at the trackers there’s been quite a bit of ALRV movement in the yard. 4228 is tracking again after not reporting anything for over a month 

Indeed it is ... through 4221 has stopped reporting. 4249 is reporting as well, it had been off for a bit.
image.thumb.png.6e00090f498f4a2f1834a0ca21ad6037.png
 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 1, 2019 at 9:52 AM, Robert Lubinski said:

Somehow APTA named him Transit Manager of the Year during that period.

I think the only thing that Al Leach was known for was the long run general neglect that led up to the subway crash and even that reputation was kind of retroactive since he was out of the TTC at that point.

On July 1, 2019 at 9:52 AM, Robert Lubinski said:

I can't recall now where I read it (maybe farther back here?) but one of the TTC streetcar engineers reportedly said the CLRV fleet actually performed quite well in the 1990s and early 2000s, I think it was after some overhauls and tweaking of equipment. It seems it took a while to get all the bugs out but then they finally got their second wind.

Are you thinking of the heavy midlife overhaul they got?  The CLRVs were solid for quite a while after that.  It was interesting to see how well the rebuilt ones ran compared to the ones that hadn't gone through the program yet at the time.  The ones that were waiting to get sent through the shop crapped out much more frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went by Russell division today and I am not sure if this was  reported but 4105 is parked with the row of decommissioned clrvs its parked in front of decommissioned clrv 4177 but 4105 had its pole up though. 4204 has its pole down inside Russell division. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...