Jump to content
PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

Recommended Posts

We pretty much know that ttc will preserve at least 2-3 clrvs and maybe an alrv since they preserve so many vehicles and they have ran for over 40 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jor said:

We pretty much know that ttc will preserve at least 2-3 clrvs and maybe an alrv since they preserve so many vehicles and they have ran for over 40 years.

Didn't it say 1 CLRV and 1 ALRV already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

They don't understand why, or they don't care why?

 

Either or. While there are individuals within the organization that have done more than their part to keep the historical record, as an entity the TTC's primary raison d'être is to move people from point A to point B. Keeping a historical fleet is a fun little sideline, but is secondary to that primary goal. And to that end, all they need to maintain that history is a representative fleet of that history - thus the actual vehicle number matters less than the fact that the vehicles still exist and are there.

 

11 hours ago, jor said:

We pretty much know that ttc will preserve at least 2-3 clrvs and maybe an alrv since they preserve so many vehicles and they have ran for over 40 years.

We don't know that. At this point, we don't know anything.

 

We SUSPECT that they will keep 2 or 3 CLRVs. But we don't actually know.


Dan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4057 and 4077 were out on Lakeshore this morning when I drove to work.  I saw a few others as well but couldn't catch their numbers due to concentrating on the drive.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at transsee data, 4001 seems to have had some issues out on the 506 yesterday, it was pulled out of service, put back into service then pulled out of service again. It was in the Carhouse at Russell yesterday afternoon and it is now at Hillcrest. 

4242 may not be done yet as it tracked again yesterday at Russell

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Looking at transsee data, 4001 seems to have had some issues out on the 506 yesterday, it was pulled out of service, put back into service then pulled out of service again. It was in the Carhouse at Russell yesterday afternoon and it is now at Hillcrest. 

4242 may not be done yet as it tracked again yesterday at Russell

4243 has last tracked about 13 days ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jor said:

 

4243 has last tracked about 13 days ago

4242 not 4243. 4242 is marked as retired but it may not be 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

4242 not 4243. 4242 is marked as retired but it may not be 

4242 could be retired, the pole is hung down as of a week ago and the rear lights are missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until confirmation comes I will not be marking any more ALRVs as retired. We have 13 marked as not retired, but the service summary only indicates 10.

4242 has had its pole pulled down since at least October, by the way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Until confirmation comes I will not be marking any more ALRVs as retired. We have 13 marked as not retired, but the service summary only indicates 10.

4242 has had its pole pulled down since at least October, by the way.

It’s strange that 4242 tracked yesterday considering it hasn’t run in almost a year (May 29, 2018) 

The TTC also adjusted their decommissioning schedule, prior to this month it stated that 10 ALRVs would be retired in 2019 but the new schedule says 15. The service summaries do say 10 remain, but I’m unsure about the May board service summary. 

But I guess overall the ALRV fleet is not alive but not dead either 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

It’s strange that 4242 tracked yesterday considering it hasn’t run in almost a year (May 29, 2018) 

The TTC also adjusted their decommissioning schedule, prior to this month it stated that 10 ALRVs would be retired in 2019 but the new schedule says 15. The service summaries do say 10 remain, but I’m unsure about the May board service summary. 

But I guess overall the ALRV fleet is not alive but not dead either 

 

we should check with the streetcar operator trainees.  If they are not trained on the ALRV, it is safe to say they are done.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

we should check with the streetcar operator trainees.  If they are not trained on the ALRV, it is safe to say they are done.

One was used for training back in February, 2 were spotted in the service bays back in April 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

One was used for training back in February, 2 were spotted in the service bays back in April 

Yes, some ALRVs seem to enter the service bays from time to time. 4226 seems to be in there now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

It’s strange that 4242 tracked yesterday considering it hasn’t run in almost a year (May 29, 2018)

One thing that has happened a number of occasions in the past is that the CIS unit was pulled from one unit and placed in another - without reprogramming the vehicle's number into the unit.

 

This is somewhat less likely to happen now that CIS is limited to a very select number of vehicles, but it could still happen.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So now I composed a list of "special" CLRVs/ALRVs

CLRVs

4000 - prototype, font on back left side

4001 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2019

4002 - first car delivered in Dec 1977

4010 - first car produced by Hawker Siddeley in Canada, first in revenue service

4027/4029/4031 - were in Boston for a bit in the 1980s

4040 - was wrapped all black to promote the memoriam in April 2018

4041 - A/C unit on top from 2006 until its retirement

4043 - ALRV wipers

4050 - one of the first to get the new font

4062 - second clrv to be retired b/c of crash with 7807

4063 - first CLRV to be retired

4080 - featured in Resident Evil

4069/4089 - weird lettering on sides

4094 - first to get vision

4111 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2017

4117 - there is a shirt with this car on it

4119 - sounds like H5/H6

4125 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2016

4162 - first clrv retired because of wear and tear

4169 - no buzz

4179 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2018

4180 - had different number font on each side

4186 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2014

4189 - had different number font on each side

4191 - interior font on top front of the car

4199 - last CLRV

ALRVs

4200 - last ALRV to run on 504

4204 - first in revenue service, last in revenue service (for now)

4213 - SNKRS express

4214 - last unrefurbished ALRV in revenue service

4215 - used on the first furry charter (after refurbishment)

4217 - first to be refurbished, used in a fashion show, used in beaches lions easter parade 2016 and 2017

4221 - last to be refurbished, used on the second furry charter

4225 - showcased at Leslie Barns and for the 514 cherry

4229 - last ALRV to run on a test run

4231 - first to be retired

4233 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2014

4238 - font on back left side

4244 - temporarily had no fleet number on left front side, had different number font on each side

4249 - 2nd SNKRS express

4251 - had different number font on each side, last ALRV

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jor said:

So now I composed a list of "special" CLRVs/ALRVs

CLRVs

4000 - prototype, font on back left side

4001 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2019

4002 - first car delivered in Dec 1977

4010 - first car produced by Hawker Siddeley in Canada, first in revenue service

4027/4029/4031 - were in Boston for a bit in the 1980s

4040 - was wrapped all black to promote the memoriam in April 2018

4041 - A/C unit on top from 2006 until its retirement

4043 - ALRV wipers

4050 - one of the first to get the new font

4062 - second clrv to be retired b/c of crash with 7807

4063 - first CLRV to be retired

4080 - featured in Resident Evil

4069/4089 - weird lettering on sides

4094 - first to get vision

4111 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2017

4117 - there is a shirt with this car on it

4119 - sounds like H5/H6

4125 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2016

4162 - first clrv retired because of wear and tear

4169 - no buzz

4179 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2018

4180 - had different number font on each side

4186 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2014

4189 - had different number font on each side

4191 - interior font on top front of the car

4199 - last CLRV

ALRVs

4200 - last ALRV to run on 504

4204 - first in revenue service, last in revenue service (for now)

4213 - SNKRS express

4214 - last unrefurbished ALRV in revenue service

4215 - used on the first furry charter (after refurbishment)

4217 - first to be refurbished, used in a fashion show, used in beaches lions easter parade 2016 and 2017

4221 - last to be refurbished, used on the second furry charter

4225 - showcased at Leslie Barns and for the 514 cherry

4229 - last ALRV to run on a test run

4231 - first to be retired

4233 - used in beaches lions easter parade 2014

4238 - font on back left side

4244 - temporarily had no fleet number on left front side, had different number font on each side

4249 - 2nd SNKRS express

4251 - had different number font on each side, last ALRV

Not too special but 4124 has the side numbers written lower than normal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, jor said:

So now I composed a list 

A lot of them have had special uses and non-standard equipment, most of them known only internally. You could fill a whole page if you looked at fleet number font variations. Here are a few off the top of my head to get you started. If you really want to make a comprehensive list, start researching, there's a lot history before 2014 to be found.

4000 - 1984 Celebration Ontario Bicentennial (yellow)

4002 - 1984 Celebration Toronto Sesquicentennial

4005 - 1984 Celebration Ontario Bicentennial (blue)

4031 - last car with couplers in 1988

4024 - chartered by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics for tour promotion 1990

4046 - WSIB all-black remembrance car in 2018

4063 - used to carry Saudi prince to CNE for special Saudi Arabia exhibit 1991 (I think).

4072 - used in official opening for 509 in 2000

4089 - air conditioning prototype- removed after test period

4093-4106 equipped with radios for night car service before CIS (up to 1990).

4134 - first ever wrapped CLRV, for Starbucks in 2000

4136 - clearance test car for roof-mounted air conditioning (type used on 4041)

4140 - at 514 opening June 2018

4145 - last one in service with original gold-tinted windshield

4165 - first CLRV to receive LED taillights

4175 - to be used for 1984 celebration, paint adhesion problems, first CLRV repainted that wasn't one of the celebration cars

4205 - used in official opening of 509 in 2000

4238 - protoype air-conditioning later removed

4240 - first ALRV with LED taillights

4251 - first wrapped ALRV, for Starbucks (similar to 4134)

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add: 4107 had ALRV wipers like 4043 did, and 4000 was displayed at the 1978 CNE.

Per Transit Toronto, "4113 was the first scheduled vehicle to depart Dufferin loop in 514 CHERRY service, at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, June 19, 2016."

To that end, does anyone know which CLRV was the first one to run in revenue service? I know they entered service on Sep 30 1979 but to my knowledge I've never read which unit was the first to run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Half of an ALRV headed east on Kingston on a flatbed to scrap. Didn't get numbers. 10 minutes ago at Kingston/Midland.

I'll go by Russell today to see what's missing. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Half of an ALRV headed east on Kingston on a flatbed to scrap. Didn't get numbers. 10 minutes ago at Kingston/Midland.

I'll go by Russell today to see what's missing. 

4242. Both sections were hauled off today

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...