TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

No it doesn't, as you are trying to travel on a cattle car like it been for the past 10 years. Try getting on an Flexity at peak time in the core to the point you have to let 2-3 cars pass you and hope the car you get on is going where you want to go in the first place on 504. Ridership has increased as well having more strollers and scooter/wheelchair on the new cars compare to no scooters/wheelchairs as well larger strollers these days.

At the rate the new fleets is being built, they will not be all here by year end. Then, they will not be all in service come 2020 due to weld issues as well testing new cars for service like it has happen the last 3 years.

I didn't say it was a good idea but doable. When routes have been fully converted to LF, other than 504/514, they have reduced the number of cars operated. We know that ridership is up but service seems to be adjusted to keep the "number of seats" about the same because there is no budget to really increase service. I agree more service is needed and CLRVs could be replaced one for one with Flexity cars and there would still be crowding, but unless there's pressure to actually increase service by keeping the number of cars operated constant after the conversion, 501 and 506 will run with fewer cars, and will keep bus trippers. TTC management has made its decision on the retirement of the CLRVs this year, rightly or wrongly based on what we've been hearing.

I'd like to think some will continue running into 2020 to keep service levels up as there is no way all the Flexity cars can be in service by this year at the current rate.

PCCs were supposed to be fully replaced by ALRVs in 1988 but record ridership meant service had to increase and they lasted a couple of extra years and we have a similar situation today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Anyone know why a car might be tracking at Exhibition loop for an extended period of time? 4029 has been reporting there all day.

Screenshot_2019-02-26-22-11-01.png

Not sure about the C's. However, since last month, the loop at CNE has been used for overnight storage of about 10-12 Flexity cars on very cold nights and whenever there was a snow storm or ice storm in the next day's forecast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The question is why?

With the two handfuls of cars left, the warmer weather may warrant the idle cars back from the dead...? If I can get more intel on this, I will

But all new operators still need to be trained on all concurrent equipment that is still relevant, and still being utilized for service to whatever capacity 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

But all new operators still need to be trained on all concurrent equipment that is still relevant, and still being utilized for service to whatever capacity 

It will be interesting to see what the TTC does with the CLRV simulator at Hillcrest once the old cars are all gone. Surely they can preserve it, maybe even donate it to a museum or some other place for people to try out? Or maybe the electronics are just too old to keep...?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

It will be interesting to see what the TTC does with the CLRV simulator at Hillcrest once the old cars are all gone. Surely they can preserve it, maybe even donate it to a museum or some other place for people to try out? Or maybe the electronics are just too old to keep...?

It’s actually gone. When I went for my first day of operator training, it was nowhere to be found in the operations training centre

52 minutes ago, WMATAC40LF said:

A partly stripped down 4163 was parked outside of Hillcrest yesterday.

fullsizeoutput_544.jpeg

I love the capacitors on line warnings on the cabinets that you can see in that picture since the two body cover have been removed.

Do you trust in-circuit bleeder resistors?  I don't.  Big hint for museums:  Don't trust in-circuit bleeder resistors.  Connect a voltmeter across capacitors in the high voltage circuits and observe discharge.  If it doesn't discharge on it's own, there's no in-circuit bleeder or it's gone open circuit and you'll want to connect your own discharge jumper with a resistor in it forming a reasonable time constant to drain them off.  Do not use a shorting bar because the extremely rapid discharge rate caused by a circuit that's got an RC time constant of zero can damage the capacitors internally and weld your jumper to the terminals.  Think about how much charge is stored and what kind of voltage it's sitting at in the traction circuit.  Then, once discharged, that's when you connect a shorting bar across to prevent recharge due to dielectric absorption.  You don't want the circuit you're convinced you've made safe charging up and becoming dangerous again while you work on it.

Then again, considering how foul tempered and nasty some of the ancient trolley museum geezers I've encountered have been, maybe a little shock therapy combined with some of that recently legalized stuff's in order.

13 minutes ago, jor said:

image.thumb.png.f1b8b9c0e1374eec63473b25436960a5.png

Unfortunately looks like 4242 is retired. I looked at Russell and saw it with its trolley pole tied down

Thanks for the update.

I have decided to take the liberty of striking all the ALRVs that haven't tracked in a while off the active roster. If there is anything inaccurate about the 11 that remain, let me know. Right now I have:

4221 (MIA, pending news of stripping or reactivation)
4236 (MIA, pending news of stripping or reactivation)

One of these should be retired to coincide with the 10 car figure indicated in the service summary, but I don't know which.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Thanks for the update.

I have decided to take the liberty of striking all the ALRVs that haven't tracked in a while off the active roster. If there is anything inaccurate about the 11 that remain, let me know. Right now I have:

4221 (MIA, pending news of stripping or reactivation)
4236 (MIA, pending news of stripping or reactivation)

One of these should be retired to coincide with the 10 car figure indicated in the service summary, but I don't know which.

4236 maybe.

• Like 1

MIA CLRVs: 4002, 4004, 4029, 4037, 4067, 4068, 4073, 4084, 4094, 4100, 4101, 4144, 4178, 4180

Previously MIA but back in service: 4024, 4079, 4147, 4155

4094 was in service on Feb 26 but it appears to have gone missing again.

• Sad 3