TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

19 minutes ago, 7575 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the ALRV's didn't come back. When were they last in service?

Jan 19 IIRC. 4204 and 4230.

Only 9 track anymore: 4203, 4204, 4207, 4225, 4226, 4228, 4229, 4243, 4249. Other cars with cached GPS locations are 4208, 4221, 4230, and 4236.

16 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Is it so loud that a drill isn’t noticed though?

I think that you underestimate how quiet a drill is, how loud the ambient noise is in the yard, and how quickly someone who knows what they are doing can drill through a soft aluminum rivet with a good drill bit.

Dan

4 hours ago, smallspy said:

I think that you underestimate how quiet a drill is, how loud the ambient noise is in the yard, and how quickly someone who knows what they are doing can drill through a soft aluminum rivet with a good drill bit.

Absolutely possible that I am underestimating (thus my question). Have never had an opportunity to visit a streetcar yard.

2 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Absolutely possible that I am underestimating (thus my question). Have never had an opportunity to visit a streetcar yard.

It's not even just the yard - at night, the whole neighbourhood has a buzz to it. Some of it is the streetcars, sure - but a lot of it is also the noise from traffic on Queen, Eastern and even the Lakeshore. And I'm sure that the sewage treatment plant and pumping plants nearby also add to the ambiance.

Between that, and the humm of the streetcars parked in the yard, it would be easy to do a lot of damage with little interruption at the yard.

Dan

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

Millhaven’s finest.

LOL Oh you were bad then lol, I use to deliver to the kitchen there for a foodservice company, I always hoped they were on lockdown so I wouldn't have to go through the sally port and just drop it at stores instead, I don't believe they had any  CLRV/ALRV

• Haha 1

I took a couple of quick cellphone photos of 4004 and 4010 while we were at Humber loop early Sunday evening as the sunlight was beginning to go and the temperatures started dropping.    There's always been something special about climbing up the steps into a warm streetcar, out of the elements when it's unpleasant outside.

IMG_4573.JPG

IMG_4576.JPG

• Like 5

I heard a carhouse rumour not too long ago that the CLRVs and ALRVs would be done by mid summer due to the service changes arising from track construction projects this year.  Carhouse rumours are wildly all over the map for reliability so who knows.  However, Steve Munro posted an article on his website yesterday saying the King/Queen/Queensway/Roncesvalles project has been pushed back to 2020 so it's even more uncertain what streetcar service and allocations are going to look like now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The next few months should be really interesting for the legacy fleet, that's for sure. I wonder if anyone's planning a charter to send off the CLRVs?

4024, 4068, and 4176 at Hillcrest.

4029 and 4032 haven't run since February 16.

4079 has been missing since February 18.

4073 hasn't run since February 14.

4094 hasn't run since February 2.

4135 was out in service this morning briefly according to the trackers, on a trip from Russell to Humber and back. However, its GPS has died again as of this posting.

• Like 2