TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

8 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I guess this is kind of stupid, but maybe to act as a mule as well? IIRC, the flexities can't be pushed, like the CLRVs can by a truck, so maybe to pull dead flexities? As well as other things mentioned above.

Well, sure. Just keep the drawbars on board and call it done. It’s not like they need extensive mods done to fill the role or anything.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took my own advice to enjoy the VLRVs this week last night after a family Christmas get together and took a couple of quiet rides on Bathurst. I did it the old fashioned way, the way I us

Listening to 680 News the other day made me think of this: You could always pick up CLRV chopper sound on the AM radio when you were driving under streetcar wire.  I'm going to have to follow one

4230's "B" section departed westbound on Queen towards Greenwood (and presumably onwards) at 13:39 this afternoon. I (obviously) left several hours ago but I overheard the workers shouting to each oth

Posted Images

I passed by by Russell Yard today (I haven't seen it in months), and there was only 1 CLRV left on the tracks, and a few in the shops. I guess they've scrapped the vast majority of them, unless some are hiding at Leslie Barns.

Image_1 2020-08-19_13-52-09.jpeg

Image_2 2020-08-19_13-52-09.jpeg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, MK78 said:

I passed by by Russell Yard today (I haven't seen it in months), and there was only 1 CLRV left on the tracks, and a few in the shops. I guess they've scrapped the vast majority of them, unless some are hiding at Leslie Barns.

Everything scrapped has been removed. All the cars left are historically retained or will be repurposed pending finances

40 minutes ago, DepthOfField said:

All you ever wanted to know about CLRV braking, suspension and propulsion.

More like a very simplistic overview.

Does anyone else think that show comes across like it was aimed at high school kids with the host's antics and narration?

You know what Stephen Lam or someone else at the TTC could've done to make it really impressive when talking about the ECU?  Get a couple of TTL chips like the ones used in there on a breadboard and connect the outputs together to demonstrate what happens if things go wrong with the complicated electronics that blah blah blah, yeah, we've all heard it before, but boy that would be a great demo!  Mwuahahahaha!

So I wound that clip back from the CLRV part to the very start and they're talking about PCC cars.  That line about how "it was nothing to get one of these up to 60 miles an hour".  Yeah.  Sure.  I guess it's possible if you're going down the Bathurst St. hill from St. Clair with green lights and have the wind at your back the whole way, and don't care about taking chances with birdcaging the traction motor armatures, maybe.  Otherwise they top out around 45 MPH and are safe (see above re. birdcaging) to 50 MPH and getting up that final 20 MPH from 25 to 45 took foooooreeeeeeveeeeer.  Honest to peter, the tall tales that are out there about PCC cars is ridiculous.  As usual, take what you see on TV with a grain of salt.

10 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

More like a very simplistic overview.

Does anyone else think that show comes across like it was aimed at high school kids with the host's antics and narration?

High school kids? More like 3rd graders. 

Electronics and vehicle nerds in high school were all watching AP Physics C tutorials and Electroboom. 

University students would want AvE

Now a days, just give me the manual and I'll make do. 

1 hour ago, Streety McCarface said:

Now a days, just give me the manual and I'll make do. 

Same here. The service manuals plus any followup bulletins and I’m happy.

I don’t need any hyper TV hosts and I don’t need any fish stories from GEEZERS (Oh yeah, it was nothing to get PCC cars to go 33% above design speed. On quiet nights on The Queensway, PCC cars were occasionally known to break the sound barrier and go supersonic.  Oh yeah.  It is because I say it is.  Ha!) but the manuals, a cup of coffee, some good music and my tools and I’m good to go.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 8:33 PM, Tom1122 said:

I heard awhile ago the body of a CLRV (4050 IIRC) was being used as a restaurant in Philadelphia. Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm that I have a chicken on the rotisserie in the barbecue right now, but it isn't in Philadelphia, no CLRV is involved, and my place isn't a restaurant.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:38 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I thought that it was confirmed to be lie?

It was.  The user account came and went pretty quickly an vanished not long after the whole CLRV restaurant in Philadelphia post took place.  I think the posts about that itself are gone too but I don't have the time to go back and look because I need to check on that chicken.

• Haha 5
14 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I can confirm that I have a chicken on the rotisserie in the barbecue right now, but it isn't in Philadelphia, no CLRV is involved, and my place isn't a restaurant.

Who knows what number would be in Philadelphia - if any. I'm not sure they can count that high. Not quickly at least ... :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, MK78 said:

Nice that it's still moving under its own power after sitting this long.

For sure.  As much as running equipment long and hard causes it to wear out, sitting unused is equally unkind.  I guess you guys have all heard the horror stories about PCC cars that've sat for too long acting up and running totally lopsided after sitting unused for too long, right?  So, I'm glad that 4001 was still in working order and that the trip to Hillcrest caused it to be taken out on the road and run for a bit.  Does anyone know what the reason for bringing it to Hillcrest from Russell was?

• Like 1