TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Now hold on just a second here.  There are who knows how many HCRR people who are experiencing streetcar withdrawal symptoms right now and you're rubbing it in that the IRM guys can still play with a CLRV?  Isn't that a little bit mean?  You know this means they're going to have to get 4000 out the first Saturday that Halton's open and run it up and down the line until 10:00 PM to make up for it, right?  The least you can do is kick in $100.  I hope you've got your chequebook handy.

I  just meant that HCRR members can't access the museum at present. IRM people can.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 6:08 PM, Tramguy said:

Please forgive my ignorance.  What does IRM stand for?

You're forgiven.

Anyways, I had to run some errands after work on Friday and it took me out to the east end, then back down Kingston Rd. and Eastern Ave. so I passed by Russell on my way passing back through downtown to the other side of the city.  I saw the lineup of preserved cars in one of the carhouse (Barn?  You want to call it a barn?  Where are the farm animals?  It's a carhouse.) bays as well as the group on the easternmost tracks in the yard complete with the very feeble taped X over the front doors.

This gave me an idea.

Let's have some fun now that the nice weather's here.

How about we draw up a treasure map with several routes across the whole city and ends up right there at the defunct CLRVs and distribute it to foamers online for a self guided, physically distanced scavenger hunt?  The logic is infallible: there's gotta be something good hidden on those streetcars.  After all, on a treasure map, X marks the spot right?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

You're forgiven.

Anyways, I had to run some errands after work on Friday and it took me out to the east end, then back down Kingston Rd. and Eastern Ave. so I passed by Russell on my way passing back through downtown to the other side of the city.  I saw the lineup of preserved cars in one of the carhouse (Barn?  You want to call it a barn?  Where are the farm animals?  It's a carhouse.) bays as well as the group on the easternmost tracks in the yard complete with the very feeble taped X over the front doors.

This gave me an idea.

Let's have some fun now that the nice weather's here.

How about we draw up a treasure map with several routes across the whole city and ends up right there at the defunct CLRVs and distribute it to foamers online for a self guided, physically distanced scavenger hunt?  The logic is infallible: there's gotta be something good hidden on those streetcars.  After all, on a treasure map, X marks the spot right?

No farm animals but herds and herds of streetcars 😄

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, drum118 said:

4110 is the only car for sale

You can have your own streetcar starting at $3,400 Canadian, with bidding to close in 6 days.

https://govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.AdvSearchResultsNew&searchPg=Classic&inv_num=&category=00&kWord=&kWordSelect=2&sortBy=ad&agency=6513&state=&country=&locID=&timing=bySimple&locationType=state&timeType=&timingWithin=1

4040, 4053, 4069, 4104, 4110, 4123, 4179, 4184, 4187, 4193 are up for sale. 

59 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Are they certified pre-owned? What's the warranty like?

They're being sold 'as is', basically, no warranty. 

Did the contract with the scrapper in Port Perry expire? Or did TTC always have the option to look for a higher bidder?

Wondering why the last ones aren't disposed of as the rest were... TTC must figure they can get higher dollar at auction?

- Paul

5 hours ago, Shaun said:

How hard would it be to convert them to run on standard gauge?

I'm guessing pretty hard. From what I understand IRM can do it (I think they use a press) but Seashore and the American Industrial Mining Museum (maybe) will be sending trucks from spare cars over there to get regauged as well.

10 hours ago, crs1026 said:

Wondering why the last ones aren't disposed of as the rest were... TTC must figure they can get higher dollar at auction?

I was told there was considerable interest and pressure near the end of retirement so the TTC came to their senses. No idea how much truth there is in that. Also, these cars were the survivors - many of them they lasted to the last day of service so their condition, in theory, should be good enough to not automatically go to scrap.

6 hours ago, christine said:

I was told there was considerable interest and pressure near the end of retirement so the TTC came to their senses. No idea how much truth there is in that. Also, these cars were the survivors - many of them they lasted to the last day of service so their condition, in theory, should be good enough to not automatically go to scrap.

I hope you're right about the interest, because currently there are no bidders. 

2 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

I hope you're right about the interest, because currently there are no bidders. 

I believe the interest was more for preservation and retention for heritage or supplemental service, but I do know there were some TTC employees who were interested, who've now been excluded by the terms of sale. I recall hearing there were some other organizations that were interested as well but I believe they were just making informal inquiries.

However, the listings have been up for less than 48 hours and theres a whole work week ahead for serious parties to figure out the logistics. Considering the costs and requirements tho I'd be surprised to see bids on more than a few cars.

3 minutes ago, christine said:

I believe the interest was more for preservation and retention for heritage or supplemental service, but I do know there were some TTC employees who were interested, who've now been excluded by the terms of sale. I recall hearing there were some other organizations that were interested as well but I believe they were just making informal inquiries.

However, the listings have been up for less than 48 hours and theres a whole work week ahead for serious parties to figure out the logistics. Considering the costs and requirements tho I'd be surprised to see bids on more than a few cars.

On top of it, this is the worst time to do this; we're still in the middle of a pandemic. 

Just now, Streety McCarface said:

On top of it, this is the worst time to do this; we're still in the middle of a pandemic. 

Thats a concern as well. The listing says pickup must be done within 10 business days but will Anderson even be available to take on the job? Will there be TTC staff available? And the fact that payment will have to be done by wire transfer, that usually requires visiting a bank and interacting with a teller.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, christine said:

I'm guessing pretty hard. From what I understand IRM can do it (I think they use a press) but Seashore and the American Industrial Mining Museum (maybe) will be sending trucks from spare cars over there to get regauged as well.

UTDC designed the trucks to be regaugable without too much difficulty assuming you've got a rail truck shop at your disposal since they always intended to be able to sell them to more than one customer which meant non-TTC gauge work.  As it was, CLRV trucks were standard gauged for testing in Switzerland and for two and eventually third car that went to Boston for the demo there; standard gauge is definitely doable and was already done twice in the early days.

What I've always been curious about is how wide the CLRV trucks can be gauged.  Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would've been potential customers and they're both broader than TTC and regauge difficulty goes up insanely once you need to go past the limit of what the outboard frames can accommodate as-is, i.e. how wide can you go before that becomes a problem?

23 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh would've been potential customers and they're both broader than TTC and regauge difficulty goes up insanely once you need to go past the limit of what the outboard frames can accommodate as-is, i.e. how wide can you go before that becomes a problem?

Have welder, will travel.

6 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Have welder, will travel.

Not to anywhere there’s a CLRV that needs to be regained, welder or not, not these days.

In all seriousness though, I really do wonder what range of gauge adjustment UTDC designed into the CLRV trucks to make them easily saleable to multiple customers before massive surgery on the frames and axles is required.  I’ve never seen any figures published for this.

19 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Not to anywhere there’s a CLRV that needs to be regained, welder or not, not these days.

In all seriousness though, I really do wonder what range of gauge adjustment UTDC designed into the CLRV trucks to make them easily saleable to multiple customers before massive surgery on the frames and axles is required.  I’ve never seen any figures published for this.

From what I can remember, the truck frames are fabricated from plate steel, not one or two piece forgings. A structural fab shop could handle it no problem.

F7AD3BCF-4424-440C-9CBE-AB7756551343.thumb.jpeg.34d9dfd12b82337eed8fb1b175aa20e3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

From what I can remember, the truck frames are fabricated from plate steel, not one or two piece forgings. A structural fab shop could handle it no problem.

F7AD3BCF-4424-440C-9CBE-AB7756551343.thumb.jpeg.34d9dfd12b82337eed8fb1b175aa20e3.jpeg

That’s what my memory is too, that they’re welded built up trucks, not forged or cast.  Doing replacement axles to get more length for a wide gauge conversion isn’t a big deal for any shop that does truck work regularly either, eg. the place that 4603’s trucks are at now.

Same thing for PCC cars on my end.  Have tools. Can’t travel.