TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

49 minutes ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Toronto Star "Day in the Life of Toronto", January 7, 1986. View from the pit at Russell, photo by Alan Dunlop. Feature posted in the Star today. 

20200107_171155.jpg

The CLRV is on 1 track. The view from that spot is very difficult to replicate now since the in ground hoists are in there now

2 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I have been told that 4133 is missing it’s front centre light and that 4069 4104 have there poles down.

That's a shame. Besides the occasional heater issue, 4069 not only worked great (according to some of the operators) but the interior and exterior was in good shape. If there was ever a need for a static display unit, that would be one of my choices.

• Like 5

On 1/7/2020 at 5:21 PM, Robert Lubinski said:

Toronto Star "Day in the Life of Toronto", January 7, 1986. View from the pit at Russell, photo by Alan Dunlop. Feature posted in the Star today. There is also a photo of a shedman sweeping a PCC. Edit: added that photo here to keep them together.

20200107_171155.jpg

20200107_172659.jpg

Those are nice pictures. I’m wondering whether it was fast film, maybe push processed to get more speed out of it, or long exposures.  I don’t think it was flash unless there was maybe a bit of fill flash because the front to back brightness is much too consistent for a single flash setup keeping in mind those were newspaper pictures, not an O. Winston Link composition after all.

It’s interesting to think that 1976 is far enough back now that not only are those streetcars retired but the people working in those pictures would be enjoying retirement now too.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I have been told that 4133 is missing it’s front centre light and that 4069 4104 have there poles down.

It is indeed missing its front light, I saw it today. I think now it's also missing the side lights now too. It's at the very front of the deadline.

edit: it still has the side lights intact.

Edited by 7749
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 9:03 PM, 7749 said:

It is indeed missing its front light, I saw it today. I think now it's also missing the side lights now too. It's at the very front of the deadline.

I think it's just its right side light but I didn't pay much attention unfortunately. Behind it is 4170, 4048, 4068 (I think?), 4178, 4104 and 4085, all on Track 19

Track 20 has 4042 and Track 21 has 4085 4053 at the front, both missing their front light. Both cars appear to be missing their left side light as well.

4001 and one of the PCCs is sitting inside on Track 7.

Edit: Can't have two 4085's. Track 21 was 4053 (looked like it was 4058 tho).

just_4133.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:08 PM, Wayside Observer said:

It’s interesting to think that 1976 is far enough back now that not only are those streetcars retired but the people working in those pictures would be enjoying retirement now too.

The shedman sweeping the PCC later went to Greenwood Shops and worked on subway gearboxes, I was told he retired about five years ago or so!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

4133 is stripped

EDIT: Tho retired 4133 is still picking a fight as it's pole is up and still powering the side lights.

Well then, the side lights are still there. This is why taking pictures of unpowered cars at night without a zoom can give misleading details. It seriously looked like a light was missing but it could have been the shadows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Does anyone know why they're removing the headlight or side lights? Plenty of others went to the scrap with all the lights.

The cars that left with all the lights intact went to a museum. The headlight and left side track light is removed to remove an important component that’s just behind those lights

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bus_7246 said:

The cars that left with all the lights intact went to a museum. The headlight and left side track light is removed to remove an important component that’s just behind those lights

Really. I thought i saw ones dismantled on flatbeds with no trucks that still had the headlights. I guess I was wrong.