Jump to content

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, MK78 said:

That would kind of put a silly twist on the whole "retirement ride" yesterday, and a commitment to retire them regardless if a few could still run.

The whole retire the existing cars without first receiving (or ordering) replacements is already an even sillier twist

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

The whole retire the existing cars without first receiving (or ordering) replacements is already an even sillier twist

Well, they have surplus of buses that can do the job until those extra units can be ordered...

I'm enjoying the bus service on 503, that's for sure. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Well, they have surplus of buses that can do the job until those extra units can be ordered...

I'm enjoying the bus service on 503, that's for sure. :)

503 frequencies are better with buses, but the ride is much rougher. But Kingston Road frequencies were always the exception, not the rule. Also, I have found it more challenging some days to squeeze on a 503 at Sherbourne than a 504.

Meanwhile we have so few streetcars that some lines, like 506, are less frequent in PM rush hour than mid-day or weekends!

Meanwhile the bus bunching and gaps on 505 are a complete shitshow.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, nfitz said:

503 frequencies are better with buses, but the ride is much rougher. But Kingston Road frequencies were always the exception, not the rule. Also, I have found it more challenging some days to squeeze on a 503 at Sherbourne than a 504.

Meanwhile we have so few streetcars that some lines, like 506, are less frequent in PM rush hour than mid-day or weekends!

Meanwhile the bus bunching and gaps on 505 are a complete shitshow.

Yeah I mostly take the 503 in the morning from Bingham loop, where there are always buses waiting. It used to be a shitshow with the streetcars cuz they'd always get hung up somewhere along the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MK78 said:

Yeah I mostly take the 503 in the morning from Bingham loop, where there are always buses waiting. It used to be a shitshow with the streetcars cuz they'd always get hung up somewhere along the way.

Much of the 502/503 streetcar service problems were that the timing on the routes were completely impossible, so either they short-turn before getting downtown, before getting to Bingham, or have big gaps. And 502+503 were run separately, so no qualms about being in pairs.

No reason that streetcars couldn't be as reliable.

Though if they are going to use buses - extend them to Birchmount or VP station!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nfitz said:

Much of the 502/503 streetcar service problems were that the timing on the routes were completely impossible, so either they short-turn before getting downtown, before getting to Bingham, or have big gaps. And 502+503 were run separately, so no qualms about being in pairs.

No reason that streetcars couldn't be as reliable.

Though if they are going to use buses - extend them to Birchmount or VP station!

I wonder what the 503 service would be like with Flexity. I don't even think there's room for two flexity's at Bingham loop. Someone would have to monitor that and make sure to get the operator to move off before the next one would roll in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

According to it’s tracker, 4094 is at Leslie Barns 

It's possible that it'll be used as a yard mule then. So then, 4021, 4094 and 4105 will be around a bit longer then... One car I see being sent to a museum is 4081, as that was one of the most realible cars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

According to it’s tracker, 4094 is at Leslie Barns 

4094 had its vision console removed, and the physical 4094 was in the deadline behind recently hauled off 4091 on 20 track last I checked on Saturday night. It’s most likely either a new car that received the vision equipment

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/30/2019 at 5:39 AM, Downsview 108 said:

Not as bad as the foamers weaving in and out of traffic for shots including one that ran alongside 4068 from Greenwood to the yard filming. Now I see why the TTC decided to have that contest.

Ha I witnessed that! A few friends and I were standing by the ladder track at Russell patiently waiting for 4068 to pass by. We formed a photo line and convinced the strangers around us to do the same. As 4068 lurched forward slowly to give us the chance for better photos and videos, this jagoff (and I am remaining polite here) had the indecency to nearly ruin all of our photos. Had it not been for a fellow admin here yelling at this guy and warning him not to get too close to us (will not name names), our photo would have been royally blocked by some lanky Asian kid who clearly did not know how the game was played. Perhaps this is archetypical of the me first Toronto entitlement craze that sadly does not seem to be going away anytime soon. If said jagoff is reading this right now, I want you to know that your behaviour is inexcusable and you should be ashamed of yourself. I can now see why respected and knowledgeable individuals here have severely curtailed their participation at such public or private events, or even on this board, refusing to be associated with these fairweather "enthusiasts".

I flew from YUL with a friend especially for the event, and we were happy to ride 4081, which in large part was not bogged down by selfish enthusiasts. The operator was completely professional and was kind enough to share transfers as souvenirs. Overall the trip was worth it and I am sorry that you guys have lost such an iconic vehicle.

  • Thanks 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SMS said:

Ha I witnessed that! A few friends and I were standing by the ladder track at Russell patiently waiting for 4068 to pass by. We formed a photo line and convinced the strangers around us to do the same. As 4068 lurched forward slowly to give us the chance for better photos and videos, this jagoff (and I am remaining polite here) had the indecency to nearly ruin all of our photos. Had it not been for a fellow admin here yelling at this guy and warning him not to get too close to us (will not name names), our photo would have been royally blocked by some lanky Asian kid who clearly did not know how the game was played. Perhaps this is archetypical of the me first Toronto entitlement craze that sadly does not seem to be going away anytime soon. If said jagoff is reading this right now, I want you to know that your behaviour is inexcusable and you should be ashamed of yourself. I can now see why respected and knowledgeable individuals here have severely curtailed their participation at such public or private events, or even on this board, refusing to be associated with these fairweather "enthusiasts".

I flew from YUL with a friend especially for the event, and we were happy to ride 4081, which in large part was not bogged down by selfish enthusiasts. The operator was completely professional and was kind enough to share transfers as souvenirs. Overall the trip was worth it and I am sorry that you guys have lost such an iconic vehicle.

Totally agreed. And let's face it, the ruining of photos was the least of what could have happened. He could have gotten killed or seriously injured and guess who would take the blame. The same organization who made this event possible. Now I definitely understand and sympathize why they did the contest. There was another whackjob on board the same car that made the operator wait while he decided to walk around the closed side in the middle of traffic for photos. He could have also been easily hit by a car. He was also shouting random stuff. I'll just call him "Alladin" because of the way he looked. Some of you may know who I'm talking about. I've seen the same guy before on the subway acting dodgy. The CLRV retirement and the unbelievable generosity (as well as patience) the TTC displayed with this event was enough to bring me out of retirement but it was also simultaneously a reminder why I love fanning alone. The day before Sunday I just sat around the Ex in the nice weather and just watched streetcars with my lunch. No cameras, no nothing. In the end, your eyes and your memory are the best camera.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Indeed I do. Besides what you were mentioning, he was also doing quasi-parkour on the grab bars in the rear stepwell, and generally bothering people as he milled about. I was standing in the standee area across from the rear doors when he forced me out of the spot so he could film the window open and close (real fascinating stuff, that). Then later he waltzed right onto Russell property (this was long before the contest cars arrived and the giant sea of people stormed the yard) and stood about midway between the dead CLRVs and the street. WTF??? These people have no shame.

I am willing to guess that he was the reason CBC News couldn't air their coverage aboard 4068 although I may be wrong. I didn't see it on their website. 🙄

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Chriiiist I forgot about the interview he gave. Jesus that was brutal.

(For those who weren't there, he gave an interview at Wolesley loop with some long, winded spiel about how 'old-school is the better school' and generally being really annoying about his opinion). Is it any wonder the public thinks we're all a bunch of weirdos when people like this do our PR?

I just saw that photo. 🤣 🤣 🤣

I don't remember him doing that at all. 🤣

I felt really bad for some of the operators but they took it in stride. And yeah, people like that give all transit fans a bad name or worse, an asterisk whenever legal discussions concerning the hobby come up. It seems the media at least found some decent people to interview for the most part.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I passed by Russell division today 4164 was towing 4147 inside the garage. I spoke to the mechanic driving 4164 and they said as they are bringing in the cars inside the garage they are doing the decommissioning right away. I also saw 4001 for my first time since I didn't get to ride on it or see it in person. 4001 is parked behind the two PCC streetcars. 4170 was coupled to 4124 I think as well.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...