PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

35 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Steve Munro’s latest post has some nice early CLRV pictures
https://stevemunro.ca/2019/12/25/the-early-days-of-the-clrvs/#comments

As someone mentioned in his site already, how come they allowed streetcar service to continue while track work was being done back then?

Is this a new regulation in the 90s that bustituded streetcar routes when trackwork had to be done?

4 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Steve Munro’s latest post has some nice early CLRV pictures
https://stevemunro.ca/2019/12/25/the-early-days-of-the-clrvs/#comments

Nice shots of the old Exhibition loop. I remember waiting there for over an hour after the "Symphony of Fire" 1993 for a streetcar and they were all loaded to crush capacity. I remember the TTC logo above the shelter used to rotate,

4 hours ago, Orion V said:

As someone mentioned in his site already, how come they allowed streetcar service to continue while track work was being done back then?

Is this a new regulation in the 90s that bustituded streetcar routes when trackwork had to be done?

So, there's a couple of answers to this question.

Historically, the TTC tried their damnedest to keep the service running along the lines, no matter what. Often, that meant laying temporary tracks on the curb lanes of streets as they rebuilt the tracks in the middle. They would sometimes single-track the operation using old rail bolted together to form a temporary crossover. But by the 1980s, this seemed to be less and less common, and in many cases instead they would temporarily shorten the route and run buses.

In the early 1990s, the TTC purchased a set of high-zoot low-profile temporary crossovers from a company in Germany, with the idea of using them to single-track service around construction areas. They were used for precisely one project - the rebuilding of the track on Coxwell between lower and upper Gerrard in the early-1990s.

And then they discovered that concrete doesn't like to be disturbed when it is curing.

Now with the advent of the modern RETRAC method of track construction, the TTC is even less likely to run temporary service along the lines. They sometimes will bustitute for carstop replacements, and those are generally done in 24 hours.

Dan

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

4178 is back in service today after a few days sitting at the garage.

There are quite a bit of cars out. 

4178 not signed in on the 506. Probably the last day a CLRV will ever operate on college (outside of charters) 

4187, 4164, 4155, 4133, 4110, 4104, 4053, 4048, and 4024 on the 511. 

• Like 8

So once again we get to have this confusion over whether or not CLRVs will be on the 501 tomorrow. The TTC tweeted out again that the CLRVs will be on the 501(weekends) and 511 until the 28th. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/TTChelps/status/1210606895083507712

I’m not holding my breath, but it would be nice to see them on the 501 tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Well....!!! That was a thoroughly unhelpful release.

http://ttc.ca/News/2019/December/27_12_19MA_CLRV.jsp

" Please note, media will not be riding on the final streetcar, they will be riding on the second last car. " - Would anyone happen to be privy to the times for this?

Well 4001 it is!!

• Like 1

All TTC customers riding a CLRV along Queen St. from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on Sunday will also be in for a treat; a free ride.

Date:   Sun., Dec. 29, 2019
Time:   2:45 - 4 p.m.
Location:  Wolseley Loop, located near Bathurst St. and Queen St.

So from what I understand:
▪ They'll be running CLRVS on the 501 between 10AM-2PM, open to the public.
▪ They'll be running the last two CLRVs between 2:45 - 4PM for the content winners only. 

Wherever 4178 is today at 12:55PM, it's no longer on Carlton. Drove all the way across the route from High Park to Main station.

Is it on Bathurst, or somewhere else? I'd like to catch a ride on it today. Currently in the Beaches for an appointment. Pretty mobile with a car,  but no mobile data.

3 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Wherever 4178 is today at 12:55PM, it's no longer on Carlton. Drove all the way across the route from High Park to Main station.

Is it on Bathurst, or somewhere else? I'd like to catch a ride on it today. Currently in the Beaches for an appointment. Pretty mobile with a car,  but no mobile data.

Looks to be on Bathurst as of right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

It's a RAD car.  Currently east bound on College @Yonge.  Should be running in around 16:00.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a.dicion said:

It's a RAD car.  Currently east bound on College @Yonge.  Should be running in around 16:00.

Yeah, I just missed it northbound at King. Chased it in a Flexity, got off at Lennox, 4178 came around and then swung onto College. I rode to Broadview. The Carlton route is my favourite route to ride, so it was nice taking one last run along it in a CLRV.