PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

4 hours ago, 7575 said:

4003 was in an accident.

I spotted it (i forgot the route) on Sunday last week. Must've happened after then.

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

I spotted it (i forgot the route) on Sunday last week. Must've happened after then.

I saw it on the 501 at Park Lawn and Lakeshore. There were 2 cars in front of it that hit each other, it seemed like they were going opposite directions too close to the center line. I thought they didn’t hit 4003 since when I checked the tracker it still ran for hours after that. I’m thinking they possibly ran it for a few hours with a damaged front skirt. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jor said:

Why is 4001 at hillcrest again?

It could literally be anything, same deal with all of the other cars up at Hillcrest. It could be up there for repairs, for decommissioning, whatever. I am not a TTC employee, i just report what I observe on the trackers.

4 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

4094 is back from Roncesvalles, now at Russell

Quoting my own post, but 4236 also made its way to Russell today from Roncesvalles. Tracking there now. There are no CLRVs or ALRVs tracking at Roncesvalles anymore at all, so any that were located there have likely been moved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

🙏 hope it’s not retired 😭 prob my fave clrv. Riding 4002 on the 502 was very special for me.

Also 4002 stopped tracking 

9 minutes ago, jor said:

🙏 hope it’s not retired 😭 prob my fave clrv. Riding 4002 on the 502 was very special for me.

I hope the people who got hit will be ok.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jor said:

Unless there's something the photo above doesn't tell us, the damage should be pretty mild. A lesser CLRV would probably retire from it but if they're keeping 4002 for historical purposes then this should be a minor set back at best.

It's the people injured in the accident you should be worried about.

• Like 3

Considering 4002 was out of service for over 70 days undergoing a "refurb", I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's going to be repaired. They spent tons of time repainting, upgrading and babying that car. Hopefully they can swap skirts with a retired unit. The damage seems isolated to under and around the curb side windshield. I can't speak for what's under the skirt and the electronics in that area. Maybe @bus_7246 can tell me what's in that area?

18 minutes ago, jor said:

No. 4002 is parked on scene. It's just "waiting". Turn on "last seen" feature in the Transsee settings.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, 7575 said:

Considering 4002 was out of service for over 70 days undergoing a "refurb", I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's going to be repaired. They spent tons of time repainting, upgrading and babying that car. Hopefully they can swap skirts with a retired unit. The damage seems isolated to under and around the curb side windshield. I can't speak for what's under the skirt and the electronics in that area. Maybe @bus_7246 can tell me what's in that area?

No. 4002 is parked on scene. It's just "waiting". Turn on "last seen" feature in the Transsee settings.

I’ll ask around, but the car will be off the road for a few days for sure

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, 7575 said:

Hmm. Maybe not. It's still reporting there as of right now.

I wish I knew what exactly is going on here. It's not the first time, either... back in September this sort of thing happened with 4011. Its GPS got jammed at Gerrard and Broadview, and I walked along the street from Pape to find that the car was nowhere to be found. It would be like that for another couple of hours before it finally stopped reporting that the data was fresh.

4002.png

36 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Hmm. Maybe not. It's still reporting there as of right now.

I wish I knew what exactly is going on here. It's not the first time, either... back in September this sort of thing happened with 4011. Its GPS got jammed at Gerrard and Broadview, and I walked along the street from Pape to find that the car was nowhere to be found. It would be like that for another couple of hours before it finally stopped reporting that the data was fresh.

4002.png

Streetcar service through there resumed since yesterday so there’s no way it’s still there. I noticed in the picture that only one of the front doors is open and the other is closed. Can the driver open only one door manually or is it broken ? 

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

Streetcar service through there resumed since yesterday so there’s no way it’s still there. I noticed in the picture that only one of the front doors is open and the other is closed. Can the driver open only one door manually or is it broken ? 

I see that a lot after front-end collisions. 

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Unless there's something the photo above doesn't tell us, the damage should be pretty mild. A lesser CLRV would probably retire from it but if they're keeping 4002 for historical purposes then this should be a minor set back at best.

It's the people injured in the accident you should be worried about.

Ik I am worried about that too. I really hope nobody dies.

1 hour ago, jor said:

Ik I am worried about that too. I really hope nobody dies.

It's not death that I would be mainly scared of. Injuries caused by a vehicle can be extremely life-altering. At least in death, they aren't suffering. I hope everyone involved is okay.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, 7575 said:

It's not death that I would be mainly scared of. Injuries caused by a vehicle can be extremely life-altering. At least in death, they aren't suffering. I hope everyone involved is okay.

Hopefully this (and other streetcar/car accidents) doesn't spark a bunch of anti-streetcar discussion 

Just now, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Hopefully this (and other streetcar/car accidents) doesn't spark a bunch of anti-streetcar discussion 

That's a possibility. I've seen streetcar incidents that could be easily prevented by swerving out of that lane. Streetcars are actually quite dangerous if you think about it. Believe it or not, streetcars aren't going anywhere. TTC has spent boatloads of money upgrading the tracks, overhead infrastructure and vehicles. With new vehicles on their way in, don't expect streetcars going anywhere in the next 25-30 years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 7575 said:

That's a possibility. I've seen streetcar incidents that could be easily prevented by swerving out of that lane. Streetcars are actually quite dangerous if you think about it. Believe it or not, streetcars aren't going anywhere. TTC has spent boatloads of money upgrading the tracks, overhead infrastructure and vehicles. With new vehicles on their way in, don't expect streetcars going anywhere in the next 25-30 years.

That doesn't stop people from hating on them. Another possible anti-streetcar point is how late Bombardier was on delivery.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid after all of the (successful) anti-trolley lobbying in Edmonton.

Unfortunately 4 people were injured in this collision😢. 2 had serious injuries and were taken to the hospital while 2 had minor injuries.

• Sad 4

I hope they're all going to be ok.

As for the streetcar, it looks like the bottom right of the door frame got pushed in so there's some body work that'll be needed to straighten that out. The stepwell probably needs some body work on it too at the right side where it attaches to the door frame.

The bashed up skirt is the least to worry about. Swap for one off a junk CLRV. I think I mentioned this before but there's nothing behind the front skirt to get damaged. If you've ever seen a CLRV with the skirt off, the whole front area is a huge yawning cavern of empty space because that's where the draft gear and coupler used to be but those are long gone - so much so a lot of people forget these are MU cars now.