PCC Guy

TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

I know most of this info has already been posted but I'm just re-confirming. Refurbished cars status update. Some cars have little information attached to them while others do have lots of info. I'm hoping to go by Russell this week. 

4203 - tracker on, providing information | parked on the last or second last track to the west | possibly viewable from Minto St. |

4204 - last tracked 5 days ago | Russell Division | also last ALRV to operate, so far | 

4207 - tracker on, providing information | parked on 3rd or 4th track on the west side |

4208 - last tracked 36 days ago | Russell Division | 

4215 - tracker completely dead | Not sure which division this car is at (maybe @bus_7246 knows)

4217 - same situation as 4215, tracker is completely dead | 

4221 - last tracked 53 days ago | car runs | last operated December 24, 2018 |

4225 - tracker is blue, but on | last car to run Toronto's streets | last seen training new operators |

4226 - tracker on, providing information | car runs | 2nd track on the west side | 

4228 - tracker on, providing information | 

4229 - last tracked 5 days ago | tracking at the mail building across from Russell |

4230 - last tracked 41 days ago | last seen on north side of Russell |

4236 - last tracked 39 days ago | last seen at Roncy | not sure if the car is physically there |

4240 - tracker completely dead | car with trolley pole tied down | last track on the west side | car is stripped and was last seen being towed by 4053 on Queen St. |

4242 - tracker completely dead | 

4243 - tracker on, providing information | 

4249 - tracker on, providing information

4237 is not refurbished but remains on property. The pole is tied down but it isn't stripped. Last track to the west. Viewable from Minto St.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, 7575 said:

I know most of this info has already been posted but I'm just re-confirming. Refurbished cars status update. Some cars have little information attached to them while others do have lots of info. I'm hoping to go by Russell this week. 

4203 - tracker on, providing information | parked on the last or second last track to the west | possibly viewable from Minto St. |

4204 - last tracked 5 days ago | Russell Division | also last ALRV to operate, so far | 

4207 - tracker on, providing information | parked on 3rd or 4th track on the west side |

4208 - last tracked 36 days ago | Russell Division | 

4215 - tracker completely dead | Not sure which division this car is at (maybe @bus_7246 knows)

4217 - same situation as 4215, tracker is completely dead | 

4221 - last tracked 53 days ago | car runs | last operated December 24, 2018 |

4225 - tracker is blue, but on | last car to run Toronto's streets | last seen training new operators |

4226 - tracker on, providing information | car runs | 2nd track on the west side | 

4228 - tracker on, providing information | 

4229 - last tracked 5 days ago | tracking at the mail building across from Russell |

4230 - last tracked 41 days ago | last seen on north side of Russell |

4236 - last tracked 39 days ago | last seen at Roncy | not sure if the car is physically there |

4240 - tracker completely dead | car with trolley pole tied down | last track on the west side | car is stripped and was last seen being towed by 4053 on Queen St. |

4242 - tracker completely dead | 

4243 - tracker on, providing information | 

4249 - tracker on, providing information

4237 is not refurbished but remains on property. The pole is tied down but it isn't stripped. Last track to the west. Viewable from Minto St.

4214, 4247 and 4251 are all still at Russell, in states of stripped. 4215 and 4217 have had their trump units harvested. 

• Thanks 5

According to my notes and what is viewable through TransSee vehicle history:

4203 last operated on June 26 on 501
4204 last operated on January 19 on 501
4207 last operated on December 17 on 501
4208 has not operated since before May 15
4210 ditto, and now it's stripped
4225 last operated in revenue service on December 17 on 501
4226 last operated on December 27 on 501
4228 last operated on September 16 on 501
4229 last operated on January 17 on 501
4230 last operated on January 19 on 501
4236 last operated on December 14/15 on 501
4242 was last in service at the end of May 2018 on the 501
4249 last operated on January 18 on 501

Not all of these dates may be accurate, for example 4217 was reported in the fall as being service on the 501 while tracking in Lake Ontario. I also discovered recently that TransSee deletes vehicle history data after a while, so that's unpleasant too.

For CLRV news:

4022, 4039, 4091, 4143 at Hillcrest

4120's tracker has died, this one may have completed its duties as a mule now too

4164 last ran on March 7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4214, 4247 and 4251 are all still at Russell, in states of stripped. 4215 and 4217 have had their trump units harvested. 

What is a trump unit?

Interesting that in that photo of 4210 at that link from November 2018, the car had its lights on despite being parked in that spot for months on end. Is that not a waste, to keep a dead streetcar lit up?

The post just says “... sleep well 4242. Thank you for your service.” There no indication of it scrapped as of yet. 

On that note, 4215 sits in the spot where 4242 once was. 4029 looks to be on the chopping block as well. Relic preservers will have to act quickly on this one

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm pretty sure 4242 is scrapped, since 4215 took its spot also it cannot track

I rode 4242 on the 504 in 2017. Its condition didn't look the greatest at that time

10 minutes ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

It’s Seashore Trolley Museum who has interest in it

Are they? Don't call out places as that could and will ruin the chances for any to be preserved.

11 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Are they? Don't call out places as that could and will ruin the chances for any to be preserved.

It's been previously confirmed in this thread that Seashore are interesting in acquiring a CLRV. There was a longstanding rumour that they wanted one of the three that went to Boston, but with 4029 being as shabby as it is and the other two long gone I'd be surprised if that was the one they ended up going for.

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

It's been previously confirmed in this thread that Seashore are interesting in acquiring a CLRV. There was a longstanding rumour that they wanted one of the three that went to Boston, but with 4029 being as shabby as it is and the other two long gone I'd be surprised if that was the one they ended up going for.

It's been talked and bandied about for years, probably since the three cars ran in Boston, so it's far from being top secret, eyes only stuff.

Anyways, on the subject of off-TTC operations, I was talking with some friends a while ago and one of them's convinced that a CLRV was demonstrated on the Shaker Heights line in Cleveland back in the day.  Something about that sounds vaguely familiar like maybe the idea was contemplated at one point but I couldn't turn up anything online to conclusively prove or disprove it unlike the Boston and Swiss trials.  Does anybody know one way or the other for sure? 

• Like 1

The post of 4242 is outdated. There's no evidence of it being scrapped. 4210 was on the last track (west) when I was at Russell.

Trolley pole on 4210 was tied down.

Catcher/receiver on 4210 has been harvested.

I marked 4242 as being retired at the start of the month. I felt it was reasonable to conclude that it had been, based on its prolonged absence from service, as well as the number of ALRVs that were reported as being active in the service summary compared to what was still tracking.

4020 was also out on the 501 this morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jor said:

How did 4229 go from retired to active again?

I realized it was never indicated as being stripped, plus the plans to put the ALRVs back in service mean that we don't actually know if that one will run again or not.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Anyways, on the subject of off-TTC operations, I was talking with some friends a while ago and one of them's convinced that a CLRV was demonstrated on the Shaker Heights line in Cleveland back in the day.  Something about that sounds vaguely familiar like maybe the idea was contemplated at one point but I couldn't turn up anything online to conclusively prove or disprove it unlike the Boston and Swiss trials.  Does anybody know one way or the other for sure? 

Back when Toronto was first receiving the CLRVs in 1978, they sold 9 PCCs to Cleveland for the Shaker Heights line. Perhaps this is misremembered, or there was some talk back then of testing one of the CLRVs there. Should be some evidence if true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Standard_Light_Rail_Vehicle

The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority tested MBTA car #3401 on former interurban lines in mid-1976, but ultimately declined to purchase the US SLRV, instead buying custom LRVs of a different design from Breda.[21] When Cleveland released a request for quote in September 1977, Boeing Vertol bid US$869,492 (equivalent to $3,600,000 in 2018) per SLRV, exceeding Breda's winning bid of US$645,833 (equivalent to $2,700,000 in 2018) per car.[6]:221 [11][22] SEPTA of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was initially interested (especially because the SLRV would be locally produced), but purchased custom LRVs from Kawasaki because the US SLRV would not clear the City Hall loop.[21] SEPTA tailored the bid by specifying the vehicle width to be 4 in (100 mm) narrower than the SLRV specification to exclude it from consideration.[6]:95 The Kawasaki cars for SEPTA were assembled at the Boeing Vertol plant to meet "Buy America" requirements.[23]

The US SLRV design also influenced the early design of the Canadian Light Rail Vehicle.[21]

I did a bunch of sleuthing around the internet and found this mention of an MBTA car test in Cleveland on Wikipedia. The US SLRV is visually quite similar to the CLRV (as the article mentions) so perhaps it's a case of mistaken identity. I haven't found any references to CLRV's being tested in Clevelnad, but the timelines do match up with Cleveland's purchase timelines so maybe it happened.