TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Per an operator source: 4081 is the other historic CLRV, and 4104 left for scrap today. 4057 is long gone.

So much for keeping "more than just two" that was promised when the new streetcars were ordered.  Anyone else remember Adam Giambrone saying that way back when?

43 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

So much for keeping "more than just two" that was promised when the new streetcars were ordered.  Anyone else remember Adam Giambrone saying that way back when?

4001 and 4081 are the two CLRVs that will be spared by the TTC 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Giambrone was long gone before the order was finalized. We've been hearing about 2 CLRVs for many years now ...

24 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Giambrone was long gone before the order was finalized. We've been hearing about 2 CLRVs for many years now ...

Was he?  I've forgotten the exact timing of when that sex scandal abruptly ended his career with respect to when the streetcar order firmed up but he was on record in the papers at the time saying that the TTC was going to keep more than just two CLRVs, which was a nod towards the two PCC cars fell a bit short.

16 minutes ago, TransitFan88 said:

Why, is keeping more than two a problem?

According to some people, keeping two of them is a problem.  To be less flip about it, there are some logistical issues that do have to be considered.  Enough storage space to keep them in, ideally indoors if possible, plus enough spare parts on hand to keep them running would have to be factored in.  If you double it, for example, from two to four CLRVs, you double the length of storage track to keep them on plus the size of the parts stash grows too.

1 minute ago, Wayside Observer said:

Was he?  I've forgotten the exact timing of when that sex scandal abruptly ended his career with respect to when the streetcar order firmed up but he was on record in the papers at the time saying that the TTC was going to keep more than just two CLRVs, which was a nod towards the two PCC cars fell a bit short.

It appears he was still chair when they chose the Flexity Outlook in 2009.  I can't find anything about saving more than 2 cars specifically but I did find the article where he talked about the preservation of the PCCs and his interest of having the same treatment for the CLRVs.

26 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I really don't see the need to discuss unrelated events. I'm surprised that it's news to you that no more than a couple of CLRVs will be preserved.

11 minutes ago, christine said:

It appears he was still chair when they chose the Flexity Outlook in 2009.  I can't find anything about saving more than 2 cars specifically but I did find the article where he talked about the preservation of the PCCs and his interest of having the same treatment for the CLRVs.

Rob Ford was mayor before the order was finalized ... sometime in late 2011 if I remember correctly. The funding arrangements weren't confirmed until November 2012. Ford seemed to do his darndest to put a spanner in the works, but there was a big enough poison pill in the 2009 agreement with Bombardier, that there was little benefit to cancelling the new streetcars.

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

I really don't see the need to discuss unrelated events. I'm surprised that it's news to you that no more than a couple of CLRVs will be preserved.

You should be surprised, because it is NOT news to me.  What I was mentioning, if you read my original post, if you understood my original post, was that originally there was discussion on keeping more than two CLRVs in Toronto when the new car purchase was started.  The implication was that plans changed between then and now to become more miserly in typical Toronto fashion.  In future I’ll remember to come out and make my sarcastic jabs totally blatantly obvious so they don’t go whooshing on by even the most obtuse railfsns.

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

In future I’ll remember to come out and make my sarcastic jabs totally blatantly obvious so they don’t go whooshing on by even the most obtuse railfsns.

Ironically, I might have to try that too one day ...

39 minutes ago, DepthOfField said:

So are there any left at Russel on the dead tracks? 
Was thinking about heading down there .... 

4110, 4124, and 4187.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DepthOfField said:

4187 has been hauled away as of 10AM this morning. I missed it, but there was a CP24 truck there, so hopefully there was some coverage of it.

But yeah, that's it - CLRV retirement appears to be officially done.

1 hour ago, JWC said:

As of 1:30 pm today only 1 CLRV left on the dead tracks at Russell Yard - 4124. Preserved cars 4001 & 4081 were inside the barn as well as ALRV 4207. The end of an era!

You know you're over the hill when absolutely everything you grew up with is gone, in some cases the replacements are also gone, and the inventory at Halton isn't a history lesson, it's a trip down memory lane.

At the rate I'm going, I should probably ditch the football helmet and the rest of the gear that goes with it and get a pair of lawn bowling shoes and start asking for senior's discounts.   (<--- That is a sarcastic statement, for the benefit of those who can't, won't, or don't get it.)

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, JWC said:

As of 1:30 pm today only 1 CLRV left on the dead tracks at Russell Yard - 4124. Preserved cars 4001 & 4081 were inside the barn as well as ALRV 4207. The end of an era!

What's the plan for 4124? I mean I know it's a work car now, but any more info?

DSC_0647.thumb.JPG.5617dde8a636afc65034effd2d7920b8.JPG

2 hours ago, Orion VI said:

What's the plan for 4124? I mean I know it's a work car now, but any more info?

I'm curious about this too. TTC hasn't had dedicated work cars for the streetcar network for many decades.

Wonder if we are going to see the latest generation of grinding cars?