TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

1 hour ago, Ultimate said:

4068 was not the last one, it was 4178 

Was it? When it arrived at Greenwood, the sign said not in service.

Here are some of my pics from today. I have... mixed feelings about the way that this event was executed. The ALRV farewell was much better done, but all the drivers were great, so hats off to them. And of course it must go without saying that all six cars performed great, none of them broke down to their credit.

(Hey look ma, Imgur behaved itself today!)

WVuBQAE.jpg
uSnRYq4.jpg
DIi5vgV.jpg
Kinbzyp.jpg
NPISONF.jpg
J3V0Egv.jpg
KcUfK2s.jpg
9o9lf8d.jpg
G6n5iPn.jpg
gVeNi6g.jpg

Remember when I could feel my fingers? Those were good times.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4001 arrived at Bathurst on its last run and ran to Shaw St to loop backup to the loop by King so 4178 could be in front of it.

Lost the feeling in my fingers at time shooting and video the cars. A gust of wind came up as I videoing the final run that caused the tripod to almost fall and miss most of 4178 turning onto Queen. 4001 was the last eastbound car from Bathurst.

Rain mess up clear shots looking east for both cameras

<https://youtu.be/tO7wdGP_k1E>

<https://youtu.be/C0Nq3MQKOvA>

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Here are some of my pics from today. I have... mixed feelings about the way that this event was executed. The ALRV farewell was much better done, but all the drivers were great, so hats off to them. And of course it must go without saying that all six cars performed great, none of them broke down to their credit.

Remember when I could feel my fingers? Those were good times.

Thank you for you photography and documentation throughout this thread. It's been great to have some variety of photos other than up close 3/4 front shots!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Thank you for you photography and documentation throughout this thread. It's been great to have some variety of photos other than up close 3/4 front shots!!

Always happy to share. I'm glad you get something out of my photos :)

• Like 7

Ha! Your foamer stories aren’t as bad as what I overheard/saw.

One of the old guys was filming a foamer kid and getting this kid to say things on camera badmouthing recent TTC decisions (OPTO, CLRV, the presence of Station Attendants, etc) in the name of “safety” and “job security”

While some of these concerns are genuine and have merit (some are flat out lies), these people should not be manipulating kids and filming them to propagate an agenda, especially on a day of celebration. 

Also, quite the foamer thing to do, but I couldn’t resist:

a tribute video made of some of my favorite clips.

Finally, shout out to Jesse and the operator of 4178 (I can’t put my finger on his name and I want to give him mad credit).

You two especially stood out today.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Streety McCarface said:

One of the old guys was filming a foamer kid and getting this kid to say things on camera badmouthing recent TTC decisions (OPTO, CLRV, the presence of Station Attendants, etc) in the name of “safety” and “job security”

While some of these concerns are genuine and have merit (some are flat out lies), these people should not be manipulating kids and filming them to propagate an agenda, especially on a day of celebration. 

This geezer yelled at a teen (who looked to have ASD) all b/c a part of his head was in his shot and was being really rude the kid after... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Streety McCarface said:

Finally, shout out to Jesse and the operator of 4178 (I can’t put my finger on his name and I want to give him mad credit).

How isn’t the music copyrighted?!?!

2 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

This geezer yelled at a teen (who looked to have ASD) all b/c a part of his head was in his shot and was being really rude the kid after... 

As much as kid/teen foamers can be annoying, they at least have the excuse of not knowing better. If someone’s yelling at an adult for being a prick, that’s different, but at a child? Some of these people take this hobby too seriously.

2 minutes ago, John Oke said:

How isn’t the music copyrighted?!?!

It is, I don’t make any money off my channel, I just do it for fun. The record label can monetize it all they want, I just wanted to do something fun.

• Like 1

While the weather today was downright terrible, it was still great that we (the transitfan community) managed to have a great weekend sending off the CLRV streetcars, both yesterday on 511 Bathurst and today on 501 Queen. It really is not often that equipment makes it to 40+ years in service, and even rarer for a transit vehicle to have become such an identifying part of the city, an immediately recognizable icon and part of the city's fabric.

Thanks everyone for sharing their photos both of the weekend and historical items, and I would also like to contribute my album of photos from the final two days.

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, DepthOfField said:

Soooooooooooooo, now what?

Is that it? Will the remaining/surviving CLRVs make it to graveyard, with the exception of a few that will be preserved?

With the exception of the final cars, the two cars at Leslie and 4089 which is at Hillcrest, all of them should be in the deadline. 
Here are a few of the units being moved over today while I was waiting for 4001:

47528D54-818B-407F-8E02-346F65654BCE.thumb.jpeg.05c7628e0b025bdd19c43172c0f1b101.jpeg37A89F7F-05A2-4D65-AF8D-0CAC66481FA5.thumb.jpeg.070031e6325590545db81a49636e48a6.jpeg3D1E3E18-8298-485C-ACD4-509EE9654801.thumb.jpeg.33724ddcfec3c6c8790e918802ba14ab.jpeg1E051DE6-B62E-4713-8069-268F8EE1C530.thumb.jpeg.97045c5eb9aa8133ca15edc3466c5304.jpeg

And here is what the dead line looked like with all the cars moved over:

F94E1ECD-D6CC-498B-B531-93656B1BDBC8.thumb.jpeg.c9325281dcae9501260d0199121ea280.jpeg

Note that before the cars were moved, the only things that were parked there were 4091 4094 and 4074 in the middle, and on track 22 4051 and a pair of trucks. So they basically moved almost the whole fleet over.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Streety McCarface said:

Nice video.

7 hours ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Not as bad as the foamers weaving in and out of traffic for shots including one that ran alongside 4068 from Greenwood to the yard filming. Now I see why the TTC decided to have that contest.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Geezer has ASD himself.

It’s worth remembering that the surface fleet is now 100% wheelchair accessible, a feature that cryptkeeper will need very, very soon.

• Haha 8

On 12/28/2019 at 9:12 PM, MK78 said:

I just stumbled upon this on YouTube... Does anyone know if the TTC ever consider running the CLRV's coupled up in two?

Yes, in addition to that video Steve Munro has an article about multiple unit operation. 
https://stevemunro.ca/2010/06/16/multiple-unit-clrv-and-alrv-operation/

You can also look at some of the original plans for the Scarborough RT using CLRVs coupled together as well. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Of course they did. That's why they were equipped with couplers from the factory.

Maybe I should rephrase. Why did they stop running in pairs and removed the couplers? Could it have been a pedestrian safety thing? I imagine a pedestrian would be more likely to be dragged under?

I don't remember them running in pairs, so they must have stopped that still in the 80's somewhere? I was a kid then I wouldn't have cared or remembered.