TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

2 hours ago, AnalogPentium said:

Forgive me for being slow but it this an issue with the 501 itself or with the Flexities?

From what I've read from various media sources:

The damage was originally found on 7 cars on the 501 route. In all cases the damage was to the brakes on the left side. Since it was just on the left side and it was only vehicles that were on the 501 route, they pulled the cars as a preventive measure, thinking it could be a problem with the track. Overnight inspection revealed that a total of 25 cars had damage on the brakes  again on the left side, again suggesting its something specific to the 501 route. Inspection of the track of the entire 501 route failed to reveal anything that could have caused this so they're still investigating. Although this impacted the Flexity cars since its the only vehicle type used on Queen (excluding carhouse runs for Bathurst), TTC Spokesperson Stuart Green had indicated that this would have impacted the CLRVs if they were running on the route, making it unlikely that its isolated to the one vehicle type.

I'm probably missing some details.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

Something is wrong with the rails (or debris on the rails) which is causing the streetcars on the 501 to get their brake systems damaged like shown above. They can't fix the problem currently since they have to pin point where exactly this is happening, which can be anywhere along the 501 and 501L. 

I wonder what the results would be if the TTC cross referenced vehicle damage claims filed with the city's road department and see if there's been a location along the streetcar line with a lot of claims this week.  There's a possibility that whatever's doing this kind of damage to streetcars would probably be wrecking a lot people's car tires too.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Let's hope this is true because surely the bus fleet is getting flogged pretty hard with bustitition and with covering the endless subway maintenance projects

If that's what they want, that's good news. Partly because I want to see the Cs run on other routes if possible.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CLRV4094 said:

More then 4053 on 506, I also see 4042, 4104, 4164, 4165, 4179, 4184 tracking as 506s. Probably has to do with the Flexity issues

Indeed it is. Streetcars have returned to the 501 today. I guess they either don’t have enough Flexities for the 506 as well and would rather them be on the 501. It makes sense that the 506 is a mix of buses and CLRVs. Since there’s a maximum of 34 CLRVs that we can say would be in service, if Bathurst needs 12 at peak today, that leaves 22 not including spares ready for service which isn’t enough to cover the 506 entirely. 

9F15DBBB-8B4E-477F-9668-514766CDF209.thumb.jpeg.ba2dd760d53b85613200d84247f56bff.jpeg

The “bonus” CLRVs he mentions I guess are on Carlton instead of Queen. I’m not sure about the status of the scheduled afternoon extras on Queen however. 

• Thanks 4