TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

4 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

I feel like the 501 will be better for this.

I agree, but that's the TTC's reasoning for running them on 511.

1 minute ago, christine said:

And here I thought it was the fact that we're short on streetcars. Not all of the Flexitys have arrived yet and from what was originally said, Flexitys would be deployed to the 511 as they become available. It's unfortunate because most of the operators on the 511 specifically chose that route because of the CLRVs. 

TTC wants to both I think. Deploy the Flexities but keep CLRVs until the 28th December.

36 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

There's another one with a jackhammer compressor but I forget the number. I almost got off that car because I thought it was going to blow up.

4193, which broke down last week as well

Does anyone know where 4001 is currently? Is it still at Russell or Hillcrest? It tracked a few hours ago in the middle of the lake so I’m not sure where it is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

35 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

4193, which broke down last week as well

Does anyone know where 4001 is currently? Is it still at Russell or Hillcrest? It tracked a few hours ago in the middle of the lake so I’m not sure where it is. 

4001 is at Hillcrest, getting truck repairs done. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

4091 was the car I was on for my last 506 CLRV ride on Saturday. I was seated near the back and it sounded like and felt like someone was hammering underneath me. 

At this point Cs are failing more frequently because there's no heavy maintenance. They're obviously not going to swap out a compressor when the cars have only a few weeks to run. Minor fixes that can be done at Russell will get done but just enough to have enough cars for service. Harvey Shops is going to be pretty much down to minimal activity in the next week or so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

In the early morning hours of this day, one year ago, car 4041 made her final run in passenger service, as a 306 Carlton owl car.

This car was always my favourite CLRV by a significant margin (some of you may have guessed that from my postings in this thread) so I was fairly disappointed when they scrapped it instead of preserving it. However, I have been more fortunate than most, in having acquired 73 photos of the car in operation in various environments over the past decade, on all routes except the 506, 508, 510, 514, and night cars, as well as a series of ride videos from the only time I ever rode the car, which was in 505 Dundas service on January 5, 2012. I have compiled the videos together and uploaded them for the first time. In those days my camera wasn't the best but hopefully someone can find some enjoyment out of it, anyway.

In addition, because of my interest in the car, I spent some time compiling tracking data for the car (this was partially the reason why I have so many photos of 4041... anytime I was in the city and it happened to be convenient for me to locate the car, I did so, to verify that the TRUMP unit hadn't been dropped in another unit without reprogramming). I'm also attaching that document here, with the caveat that it's not a complete dispatch record so much as it was one guy's attempt at writing down where and when it ran, and the difficulties of doing so in the days before TransSee Vehicle History (I have, for example, no night car data at all until the middle of May 2018). I worked on this document from June 2015 to the start of May 2017, and then picked it up again at the end of April 2018 and continued straight through to the car's end of service some months later. Hopefully someone can get some value of this document.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g9D0CN2mY7_fQ-YRvcg6xuHUIo3PN4DW/view?usp=sharing

And finally, here are some of my favourite photographs of the car from over the years.

Also, 4169 was spotted on a flatbed in Russell yard yesterday morning.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, JWC said:

The dead tracks at Russell Yard are once again full! :(

I noticed that too, but I don’t think we can assume all those cars are dead. I find it hard to believe that they suddenly retired cars like 4071 and 4081 for what seems like no reason. 

1 minute ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

4021 seems to be missing in action.

It was in service yesterday 

6 minutes ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Are you sure it was? It was tracking on the route 511 Bathurst yesterday but  I dont think it left the yard at all. I believe it hasn't been in service a few days possibly before Saturday. I could be wrong though you saw it yesterday?

Well it tracked yesterday in the early AM, so more like Sunday. But still, there are 34 active cars and only 12 running at a time on the 511 with the exception of the 6 on Queen on weekends, so at this point if some don’t run for a few days they may not really be MIA. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

I noticed that too, but I don’t think we can assume all those cars are dead. I find it hard to believe that they suddenly retired cars like 4071 and 4081 for what seems like no reason. 

With the new board, the demand for CLRVs just dropped significantly - to no more than 18 cars in service at any time. Until last week, there were frequently 24 cars in service. So more cars should be disposed of.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, nfitz said:

With the new board, the demand for CLRVs just dropped significantly - to no more than 18 cars in service at any time. Until last week, there were frequently 24 cars in service. So more cars should be disposed of.

Some will definitely be getting axed since if there’s a maximum of 18 in service, they’re operating on a spare ratio of nearly 100% and over 100% on weekdays. But would they retire both 4071 and 4081 and instead keep cars like 4091, 4100 and 4193 still running?
It’s possible since we don’t know the condition that they’re in, but just based on recent performance and observation it seems somewhat unlikely. 

5 minutes ago, christine said:

A friend just spotted a CLRV on a truck on Lake Shore heading west by the Princes' Gates. He didn't get a number. 

A few people have reported seeing scrapped CLRVs going westbound on Lake Shore over the past few months. Are they still going to Langille’s?  Because if so, it seems like they’re taking some sort of detour. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, christine said:

A friend just spotted a CLRV on a truck on Lake Shore heading west by the Princes' Gates. He didn't get a number. 

On Facebook, 4191 was spotted westbound at Yonge and Lake Shore at around 10:45 today. Could that have been the car?

• Sad 5

6 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

On Facebook, 4191 was spotted westbound at Yonge and Lake Shore at around 10:45 today. Could that have been the car?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5VC6h7nmE_/?hl=en

As I look at this post from this morning closer, it looks like 4191 did indeed get sent away this morning. That is likely the one spotted by @christine

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

4021 seems to be missing in action.

4021 last ran early Monday morning on 511. 

3 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

4071 and 4081 probably run better then cars like 4100. My guess is they are just resting, using the western tracks for some reason. 4165 also is tracking on one of the "good tracks" again, so it'll be revived.

Has anyone actually seen 4071 and 4081 parked in the scrapping area? GPS does not always show your 1:1 relation to the rest of the world. This is the big problem with everyone reporting GPS sightings from yards - "parked in the dead area", "parked in the workshop", parked wherever else isn't actually a meaningful sighting unless you can physically confirm it.

It is also worth noting, however, that with the amount of maintenance being done on the CLRVs these days, a car can go from active to a service hold pretty easily, all it takes is one failure that they don't see as being worth repairing. And while I am not intimately familiar with the parking arrangements at Russell, I have difficulty imagining why a unit that is still active would be parked among the dead units, unless it, too, was a dead unit.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Has anyone actually seen 4071 and 4081 parked in the scrapping area? GPS does not always show your 1:1 relation to the rest of the world. This is the big problem with everyone reporting GPS sightings from yards - "parked in the dead area", "parked in the workshop", parked wherever else isn't actually a meaningful sighting unless you can physically confirm it.

It is also worth noting, however, that with the amount of maintenance being done on the CLRVs these days, a car can go from active to a service hold pretty easily, all it takes is one failure that they don't see as being worth repairing. And while I am not intimately familiar with the parking arrangements at Russell, I have difficulty imagining why a unit that is still active would be parked among the dead units, unless it, too, was a dead unit.

Well, looks like all of those cars but 4071 have suffled back into the workshop.

Regardless of if we are or aren’t considering the accuracy of the GPS tracking, it seems somewhat coincidental that I believe at least 4-5 of the cars that ran on the 501 on the weekend returned to Russell and tracked on the western “dead” tracks. I agree that the trackers are often not even close to being completely accurate, but  it at least appears that some of the 501 cars were parked in the west side of the yard. There is of course the possibility that due to the excess of CLRVs currently that some will be put aside just for weekend use on the 501.

Speaking of which, on the weekend I saw 4094 with it’s pole down and no longer tracking, but now it is again tracking. I saw the wires out the back windows as well. What are those wires for anyways? 

• Like 4