TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

5 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Yes, and it is possible to write them without resorting to gross oversimplification.

Well, fair.

But what are the chances that the person at the museum end of the conversation had any idea what the problem is, besides "it broke and it don't work"?

17 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

As for 4094, it's still out on 511 so I still have high bets it will be one of the last.

I wouldn't. Apparently it isn't a candidate for donation or keeping in the museum fleet as it is quite rough underneath.

Dan

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Well, fair.

But what are the chances that the person at the museum end of the conversation had any idea what the problem is, besides "it broke and it don't work"?

Oh man, our retired shop co-ordinator was on the receiving end of so many prank calls over the years.  One of my favourites was to find an area that wasn't in use right at the moment and make the call from a phone that'd have a convincing number on the call display and do a high pitched whiney voice and say "Hi, is this maintenance and engineering?  IIIIIT ISSSSSNNNNN'T  WOOOOORRRRKIIIIIIIINGGGGGGG!!!!" and then when he'd ask what isn't working I'd say "EVERYTHING!"  The guy dropped by for a visit and we had some laughs about stuff like that and he's enjoying retirement and looks a lot healthier than he did when he was responsible for dealing with everything including the honest to goodness "it broke and it don't work" fault reports.   The best one, absolute best all time fault sheet I've ever seen said "Funny problem".  That one was wild.  We framed that one.

Anyways, putting myself in the shoes of whoever writes the tweets, if someone told me to put out a message that the CLRV bailed out, my first question would be, "What happened?"  Worst case, it totally died and the scope and cause of failure is still under investigation is more of a thoughtful answer than "Doesn't work, can't use it."

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Anyways, putting myself in the shoes of whoever writes the tweets, if someone told me to put out a message that the CLRV bailed out, my first question would be, "What happened?"  Worst case, it totally died and the scope and cause of failure is still under investigation is more of a thoughtful answer than "Doesn't work, can't use it."

If the manner of communication was a bit more traditional - say, email - I'd agree with all of that. Hell, I practice it myself.

But with stuff like Twitter and Facebook, people expect and even demand answers immediately - even if they are simply toss away answers such as "it don't work no more". In some cases, less really is more.

Dan

• Like 6

4086 is parked in the deadline at Russell division. it is parked behind 4221 and 4195. 4086 is parked in front of 4098. i might have seen 4086 and 4098 coupled together. I also spoke to the supervisor at Russell division. I was told that it is very likely  that 4178 will be preserved with 4001. i think that 4075 might be retired now it is parked in between retired alrv 4230 and 4249 in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

Given their prolonged absence from service, and the low probability that they will be retained as historical units, I have made the executive decision to strike 4068, 4075, 4098, 4103, 4105, and 4156 from the active roster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, PCC Guy said:

Given their prolonged absence from service, and the low probability that they will be retained as historical units, I have made the executive decision to strike 4068, 4075, 4098, 4103, 4105, and 4156 from the active roster.

Have 4105 and 4068, or at least their remnants, returned to Russell, I remember a while ago they were sitting at Leslie Barns? They tracked today in the middle of nowhere.

4193 at Hillcrest, judging by the sound of it when I was on it yesterday I’m not surprised. 

4147 did a trip on the 506 aka 123 Sherway today ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

found dates of the recently retired cars:

4068 - last ran oct 18 on 511

4075 - last ran sept 30 on 506

4086 - last ran oct 28 on 511

4103 - last ran oct 30 on 506

4105 - last ran jun 2/3 on 506/306

4156 - last ran oct 26 on 511

*4098 is already marked as retired on the wiki

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, christine said:

I was told that 4100, which was doing the 511 Bathurst route had to be pushed back to the yard earlier today.

Indeed. 4104 pushed it to Russell. But 4104 later rejoined service on the 511.

3 hours ago, jor said:

found dates of the recently retired cars:

4068 - last ran oct 18 on 511

4075 - last ran sept 30 on 506

4086 - last ran oct 28 on 511

4103 - last ran oct 30 on 506

4105 - last ran jun 2/3 on 506/306

4156 - last ran oct 26 on 511

*4098 is already marked as retired on the wiki

4068 and 4105 are at Lesile. 4103 had a breakdown in late October on the 511, reentered service as a 506 tripper a few days afterwards and has not ran since. 4098 is simply a yard mule from what has been seen by others

• Like 5

With thanks to Robert Lubinski:

4103, 4141, 4119 and 4160 should be removed for scrapping today so that they can salvage the trucks for the heritage CLRVs. The four remaining ALRVs are supposed to be removed for scrapping in the next few days, with the overhead coming down today so that they can remove the roof packages from the ALRVs (as in the mass scrapping in May of this year).

• Sad 5

3 hours ago, christine said:

Car 4143 was spotted at Fleet Loop being coupled to 4024.

Both back at Russell inside the carhouse now. 

Based on where it’s parked in the yard, things may not look good for 4094. Seems to be parked near 4075. Both were in the carhouse today or yesterday. Anyone know if they’re stripped? 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

With thanks to Robert Lubinski:

4103, 4141, 4119 and 4160 should be removed for scrapping today so that they can salvage the trucks for the heritage CLRVs. The four remaining ALRVs are supposed to be removed for scrapping in the next few days, with the overhead coming down today so that they can remove the roof packages from the ALRVs (as in the mass scrapping in May of this year).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yczyu_EqYEw

Yep, 4119 for sure is gone 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 7